Mercedes SLK World banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Super Moderator 2013 SLK350
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Nice wheels. Is this your 4th set of wheels already?
Sad, isn't it? To be fair, my stock 18" rims lasted a mere 1 week before I got rid of them, so maybe these should not count, no? :unsure: Plus, I am done with replicas... I want the real AMG rims, and finding one in 19", right offset and affordable (<$1K/rim) takes awhile... so scooped these up for very reasonable $$. Dropped them off at a custom wheel shop today. It is my hope these will be on the car for a long long time....

Reactions: Trev5 and Ricrob

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,729 Posts
It is my hope these will be on the car for a long long time....
Well, till the next pretty face "rolls" by anyways 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Trev5 and b82012

·
Registered 2014 SLK350
499 Posts
Are you just refinishing them or having some custom paint work done?

Reactions: b82012

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Are you just refinishing them or having some custom paint work done?
The rims are 2-toned with machined faces and powder-coated grooves, and two of them had nicks and scurfs (one front/one rear) so took them to a professional shop that specializes in high-end custom rims and repair to inspect and diagnose. Good thing I did bcos they found an issue with one that may compromise its use (suspect it was involved in an accident and may be the reason the owner sold them off), so I have had to order a replacement. Should have everything sorted in a few weeks and ready to mount...

Reactions: Trev5 and Avel Du

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Sadly, and with extreme frustration, I have had to CANCEL my brake system order from CARiD bcos they have failed to ship my paid order after 19 days since order placement. They kept giving me the run-around about some warehouse issues, close/not open on weekend, trying to confirm order shipment takes 24-48h, blah blah blah. After 1 week of same ol same ol BS, today I said enough and cancelled the order. They tell me it will take another 2 days to process a cancellation order!!! I hate hate CARiD.... (they are a sponsor on SLK Forum, so I hope someone from that vendor is reading this post). They will never earn a $ of my business ever again.

I am frustrated bcos this weekend my wife and I are doing a 450 mile road trip (1-way) to MD/DC/VA (summer vacation) and I'd expected to have the new brakes and pads installed before we hit the road this Saturday. Now I am frantically looking to find a 2-day delivery of these brakes so that they can get installed no later than Friday.

I am so bummed...

Reactions: Trev5 and Johnkat

·
Registered 2015 SLK350
18 Posts
Hey b82012,

Will you have to adjust your wheel arch's to fit the 19inch alloys, Im thinking of going for some 19's but not sure if they need adjusting to fit them?

Newly arrived 19" AMG rims off an SL63 AMG (the bay of ees) and will be getting a royal treatment (refurbishing) before mounting....

19x8.5 +35
19x9.5 +35

View attachment 582313

How it looks on a White 2011 SLS AMG

View attachment 582314

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Hey b82012,

Will you have to adjust your wheel arch's to fit the 19inch alloys, Im thinking of going for some 19's but not sure if they need adjusting to fit them?
Simple answer is No. I have been running 19"s on my SLK more than 3 years now and they are purfect.... You can even run 20"s without needing to adjust fenders if running the right offsets and tire sizes...
today-1.jpg

If you are going 19, you need the rim offsets to be (ideally) between +35 to +45 front or rear, and tire sizes of 225-245 (f) and 245-265 (r) to avoid rubbing on your suspension system.

Reactions: Trev5

·
Registered 2015 SLK350
18 Posts
Your SLK has some great mods I must say.. Has your exhaust upgrade improved the sound by alot? Also are your alloys from CKS and were they worth the upgrade from 18's?

Simple answer is No. I have been running 19"s on my SLK more than 3 years now and they are purfect.... You can even run 20"s without needing to adjust fenders if running the right offsets and tire sizes...
View attachment 582717

If you are going 19, you need the rim offsets to be (ideally) between +35 to +45 front or rear, and tire sizes of 225-245 (f) and 245-265 (r) to avoid rubbing on your suspension system.
View attachment 582717

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Your SLK has some great mods I must say.. Has your exhaust upgrade improved the sound by alot? Also are your alloys from CKS and were they worth the upgrade from 18's?
Oh the exhaust sound is glorious.... the closest to it I could find for you is in the video made by Piecha (same exhaust) for the R172 350 (see link below). Pretty close in sound tone at moderate pressure on the gas pedal :)

As for the rims, none have come from CKS. And these 19s are just perfect for the car. They are a very small (almost imperceptible) difference from the 18s. I mean you are going from a 40 mm to 35 mm front tires with a 1" increase in rim size... not much difference in real day-to-day driving.

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Several weeks ago, I posted about the SLS 19" AMG rims I just purchased. One turned out to be damaged so needing a replacement. Well, thanks to my comrade_in_arms Trev (@Trev5), the replacement rim is now en-route from Germany via UK to USA.... will arrive next week, at which time I should be finally installing these. Can't wait....

New_on_order_AMG_rim.jpg

New_on_order_AMG_rim_2.jpg

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,729 Posts
You could open a used parts store with all the OEM parts you've replaced (y)

Reactions: Trev5 and Ricrob

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
You could open a used parts store with all the OEM parts you've replaced (y)
Not sure if to agree or disagree with you Len (@LeonardoDaBenz) on this point. But here is what I'll say in response. My modding policy is "OEM+" which loosely translates to "enhancing the OEM look and not taking away from it". The car looks as OEM as any other, no? :p:D(y)

But since you mentioned it, I took stock of my garage today and found the following:

4x 19" rims (16-spoke) my second set replaced with current ones, and still sitting in the garage.
4x 18" tires (wife's BMW replacement/spares)
4x 16" tires (nieces' winter tires stored in my garage)
3x 19" rims (latest purchase) awaiting the 4th rim to arrive next week.
1x stock R172 250/350 AMG-kitted diffuser
1x stock R172 mesh wind deflector

Phew!!!

I should do a garage sale soon or something :giggle:

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
This weekend had my car out to Best Buy Geek Squad to check out why my reverse camera was all blacked out.. they tell me my reverse camera unit is dead.. and not receiving any signal from the in-dash installed controller.

What kills a camera mounted out of way and that has been in use for 3+ years? Shucks! One more thing to replace.

So they are recommending a license plate mounted camera.... such as below. Anyone have any experience with license plate mounted reverse camera?

iBeam_reverse_camera_with_led.jpg

Link here

·
Registered 2015 SLK350
18 Posts
Oh the exhaust sound is glorious.... the closest to it I could find for you is in the video made by Piecha (same exhaust) for the R172 350 (see link below). Pretty close in sound tone at moderate pressure on the gas pedal :)

As for the rims, none have come from CKS. And these 19s are just perfect for the car. They are a very small (almost imperceptible) difference from the 18s. I mean you are going from a 40 mm to 35 mm front tires with a 1" increase in rim size... not much difference in real day-to-day driving.
I am about to purchase the FOX exhaust, you mentioned "(resonator delete)" does it come with that? I am buying from a UK based company and have ordered the same part numbers listed on the loonytuns page.

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I am about to purchase the FOX exhaust, you mentioned "(resonator delete)" does it come with that? I am buying from a UK based company and have ordered the same part numbers listed on the loonytuns page.
Here is everything my Fox exhaust came with (see image below):

X-pipe
mufflers (2)
quad tips (pre-welded to mufflers)
pipe connectors

Fox_Sport_exhaust_R172.jpg

Install requires one resonator delete with the X-pipe... and of course, the new sound track.... Let me say, the sound level grows over time.... as the car settles into the new setup.

exhaust.jpg

Final look (please make sure to purchase the R172 SLK 55 AMG diffuser. Your stock 250/350 AMG diffuser will NOT work for the Fox exhaust system. It requires the R172 55 AMG diffuser with wider spaces to fit those oval quad tips.)

MB-shop-repair.jpg

Good luck and ask any question if you have one. Hopefully I can get them answered for you as much as I can.

Gotta run...

·
Registered 2015 SLK350
18 Posts
Here is everything my Fox exhaust came with (see image below):

X-pipe
mufflers (2)
quad tips (pre-welded to mufflers)
pipe connectors

View attachment 583666

Install requires one resonator delete with the X-pipe... and of course, the new sound track.... Let me say, the sound level grows over time.... as the car settles into the new setup.

View attachment 583667

Final look (please make sure to purchase the R172 SLK 55 AMG diffuser. Your stock 250/350 AMG diffuser will NOT work for the Fox exhaust system. It requires the R172 55 AMG diffuser with wider spaces to fit those oval quad tips.)

View attachment 583669

Good luck and ask any question if you have one. Hopefully I can get them answered for you as much as I can.

Gotta run...
Thanks for the advice, I have ordered the Exhaust from dcperformance.co.uk and SLK55 diffuser elsewhere. I am getting a garage to install it next week if all arrives on time, do they just need to remove the resonator whilst installing, when you say "one" resonator delete, does the car have two? Also did you use any exhaust assembly paste?

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Thanks for the advice, I have ordered the Exhaust from dcperformance.co.uk and SLK55 diffuser elsewhere. I am getting a garage to install it next week if all arrives on time, do they just need to remove the resonator whilst installing, when you say "one" resonator delete, does the car have two? Also did you use any exhaust assembly paste?
When the shop drops your stock exhaust, the Fox Sport exhaust replacement will include the resonator swap (aft of the cat converter) for the X-piping, this is the only resonator delete function.

Reactions: telezinn

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
SLS AMG rims now installed... I also added red-raised MB caps to adorn the rims. The gunmetal gray two-tone color is much muted over the flashy hyper silver I just replaced and this muted tone suits me just fine. Pictures don't do these rims justice. Far prettier up close than in these pictures.

En route from the install shop, I stopped to take a couple pics...
-27-.jpg

Drive way shot...
-26-.jpg

Close-up to front rim including the red-raised MB wheel cover...
-35-.jpg

My swapped-out 19" rims are now available for sale... fire sale... PM me if interested.... I will clean these out and make them pretty and ready to ship to a lucky buyer.

19x8.5 +35 (f)
19x9.5 +35 (r)

-33-.jpg

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Replaced all brake pads with Brembo ceramic pads this past weekend.. Excellent deal on fleabay - front + rear pads and sensors = $125 with FREE shipping. Cannot beat that (y) In terms of brake pedal travel, feel and stopping performance, I will say very similar to stock organic pads, plus no dust and zero noise. Very happy with these pads for sure...

brembo-1.jpg

The temporary Duralast GOLD ceramic pads I put on for my vacay road trip last month are back in the box somewhere in the garage. Hope they get some use in the future...

61 - 80 of 80 Posts