Mercedes SLK World banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Super Moderator 2013 SLK350
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Today was car wash day for all 3 cars in the stable.... Meguiar's Ultimate Wax and Shine was the star of the show. Truly an excellent item to have for these cars. All 3 cars came out shiny with just a wash.... Of course, the SLK received the most love and care... biased of course. The body feels the ache of 3 car washes in one day...

wash-22.jpg

wash-23.jpg

wash-8.jpg

wash-14.jpg

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Today had the car in for an ECU software upgrade/flash at my local MB shop. BTW, I looked everywhere for a recall ECU upgrade but couldn't find one. The Service Tech said it was an internal recall for software flash of the ECU to do with gas/fuel performance... he claimed I should expect better MPG. Guess we'll see.

This dealership has a full professional car cleaning service on site, and every serviced car gets a wash, carpets cleaned and tires dressed, and all of these at $0 cost to me today. Gotta love this dealership. (y) I was outside enjoying the beautiful day (temp was 77F and sunny) and saw the car been driven back to the service bay after the wash, so captured a short video of it. Enjoy...

Video

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Car went in for regular service today. Came out with a clean bill of health after a comprehensive inspection and written report. Besides the oil + filter change, other replacement was the cabin air filter (I think my Indy was looking for something extra to charge, bcos I think he changed this at ~40K mile service). He was surprised my car with 7x,xxx miles is still on the original brake pads, with front at 4 mm and rear at 7 mm (y)

Next service appointment set to 80K miles at which time he expects I'll be replacing rotors + pads plus brake fluid drain and refill, which will be fine by me. Glad I got this much mileage out of my original brake system.

Service cost was $285 (incl tax). Not too bad....

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Latest mod added - tinted fiber glass wind deflector with SLK350 insigna. Beautiful piece, fits like a glove, provides good air draft within the cabin, and excellent rear view even at night without distortions from car lights. I am pretty excited about this change, and loving it.

-5-.jpg

-2-.jpg

·
Registered 2014 SLK350
7 Posts
Latest mod added - tinted fiber glass wind deflector with SLK350 insigna. Beautiful piece, fits like a glove, provides good air draft within the cabin, and excellent rear view even at night without distortions from car lights. I am pretty excited about this change, and loving it.

View attachment 580052

View attachment 580054
Where did you find that? I like the look of it, and I would not mind picking one up myself.

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Turns out NTG4.5 can indeed allow Nav upgrade in COMAND to MY2020 and even newer. So I just did. Vendor link is here. Cost is $129.99 and you need your VIN to generate the key to install. About 3 h process from download to upgrade completion. .

Nav_update_2020.jpg

·
Registered 2013 SLK250
16 Posts
I hope this is not too simple a question, but what is the difference between the Sport mode on my car and the Piecha RS throttle controller? If I take my car out of ECO mode, and place it in Sport mode, is that not the same thing? Please excuse my ignorance..

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
I hope this is not too simple a question, but what is the difference between the Sport mode on my car and the Piecha RS throttle controller? If I take my car out of ECO mode, and place it in Sport mode, is that not the same thing? Please excuse my ignorance..
I wrote up something on this here

see my posts #16 & 18

The Piecha is a throttle booster meant to get you to speed quicker as you depress the gas pedal with minimal to no lag. Press and Go regardless of what tranny setting the car is in (E/C or S). Throttle boost has settings to manage the aggressiveness of the boost. Mine is set to "5" from a range of 1-10. And that "5" setting gives me the ability to control the amount of aggressive throttle response especially from a dead stop and when my trany is set to "Sport". It's almost like a jack-in-a-box response of a car just aching to go....

Talking of E/C or S, these are tranny settings that control gearing and speed.... and of course the ECO Start/Stop button (on the dash) is another function different to all of these altogether.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,729 Posts
And don't confuse booster with more HP. Pedal Commander (and similar products) just alters the throttle curve; it does not increase engine power.

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
True dat, Len (@LeonardoDaBenz). But bcos the boost gets to speed quicker, it makes the car "feel" faster although it really isn't...

Many moons ago, I installed the Sprint Booster in a 5-series BMW, which was so aggressive my wife had me remove it... she couldn't drive the car bcos it had a scary feel to the aggressive throttle. Over the years, these manufacturers have improved this product and now users can tune it to their liking...

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Installed the black MB hood badge today.... Purchased from my local MB dealership. Cost $44 (USD). The thread on this topic has some instructions on installation, but I'd like to provide a step-by-step process I took, hope it helps others.

1- OEM Black MB hood badge (p/n: A 000 817 18 01)
-1-.jpg

2- Tools used - (the metal pry tool was heavily taped with blue 3M painter's tape prior to use)
-7-.jpg

3. Heavily tape around the badge (3M painter's tape) and if using a metal prying tool make sure to tape that too.
-2-.jpg

4- Gently pry with the taped metal tool and then use the plastic tool to work around the badge until fully lifted up
-3-.jpg

5- Here are the two holes holding the badge in place
-4-.jpg

6- Gently insert new one, and push down evenly... done.
-6-.jpg

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,729 Posts
For those wondering, the "pry tool" is actually a paint can opener (y) Easy to find one if you use that term.

Reactions: b82012

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Well, since I got the hood badge replaced, decided to finally swap out my flat hub cap covers with the raised OEM MB ones I purchased months ago.... I actually purchased two sets - black and red. For now the black ones are on, we will see how long they stay on before the red ones come on.

-10-.jpg

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
86 Posts
Turns out NTG4.5 can indeed allow Nav upgrade in COMAND to MY2020 and even newer. So I just did. Vendor link is here. Cost is $129.99 and you need your VIN to generate the key to install. About 3 h process from download to upgrade completion. .

View attachment 580656

View attachment 580656
I used this same company to update the nav in my SLK and my wife’s E-Class. It was quick and easy peasy. Strongly recommend.

Reactions: b82012

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
My OE brakes have lasted close to 80K miles and about due for replacement, so ordered today a set of Z23 Performance front and rear brake kit - rotors, full ceramic pads and accessories. Read up on it before ordering, but happy to provide post-install report on performance relative to OE. I am highly motivated for a setup with less to no brake dust. Sick of the dust already.... yuk!

Z23_brake_kit_SLK350.jpg

Reactions: Ricrob and Avel Du

·
Registered 2014 SLK350
499 Posts
Tell me about it...I think it is even worse with chrome rims. And if you don't clean it off it will permanently damage the finish. Please let us know the results.

Reactions: Ricrob and b82012

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
My headlight housings were getting sorta rough and slight hazing when observed real close. I asked my local dealership who has an on-site detailing shop how much to restore my headlights back to pristine look, and they gave me a $200-$300 quote with the final cost depending on actual time it takes the tech guy to complete the task.

I did a search here on the forum and found quite a few threads on doing this. Decided it will be a DIY project just to see how it turns out. I chose the 3M Headlight restoration kit that has popular referral here, ordered from Amazon ($15.99) and set about the DIY today.

I'll let the pictures tell the story....

Here are (before pics) of headlights with some pitting and hazing
-3-.jpg

-4-.jpg

Restoration Kit + drill (didn't work as well, so resorted to manual, elbow-grease sanding...)
-2-.jpg -5-.jpg -8-.jpg

First and Second rounds of cleaning/sanding
-10-.jpg

Results - Left and Right. Up close, the headlights are extremely clean and smooth, and narry a speck of imperfect spot. I am pretty happy with the results as it came out perfect....
-16-.jpg

-17-.jpg

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Newly arrived 19" AMG rims off an SL63 AMG (the bay of ees) and will be getting a royal treatment (refurbishing) before mounting....

19x8.5 +35
19x9.5 +35

-3-.jpg

How it looks on a White 2011 SLS AMG

White-2011-SLS AMG.jpg

41 - 60 of 80 Posts