Premium Member 2012 SLK350
324 Posts
Thanks for the trip!

Reactions: b82012

·
Super Moderator 2013 SLK350
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
A sundry list of all the mods described in this thread as well as links to vendors and materials.

• R172 SmartTOP - Link here
  • Custom R172 350 Fox sport exhaust with quad tips and X-pipe (resonator delete) - Link here
  • R172 SLK55 AMG Diffuser - Link here
  • R172 Piecha "CS" Race Converter - Link here
  • Drilled & Slotted rotors (rear) - Link here
  • 19x8.5 (ET45) [front] and 19x9 (ET54) [rear]; +8mm (f) and +15mm (r) H&R spacers - Links here and here
  • Genuine OEM Paddle shift extender - Link here (similar)
  • Red-raised MB wheel covers - Link here
  • Rear and Front Camera controller by Naviks - Link here
  • Rear & Front Cameras - Link here (front) and here (rear)
  • aFE Pro-Dry air filter - Link here
  • 19 x 8.5 / 19 x 9.5 +35 mm offsets, 19" AMG replica rims - Link here
  • Video-in-Motion software allowing Nav in motion and video in motion - Link here
  • Crosstour CR350 Dashcam - Link here
  • 3M Di-NOC Carbon Fiber wrap - Link here
  • 3M 2080 Series Gloss Black Vinyl Wrap - Link here
  • R172 SLK 200/250/350 Diamond Grille - Link here
  • R172 SLK 200/250/350/55 Chrome-Black Panamericana grille - Link here

·
Premium Member (Previously 2012 SLK250)
1,061 Posts
@b82012
Wow, your car is just amazingly beautifully modified and adapted to both the color and your preferences. You are a school example of a true enthusiast 😊 (y)

·
Registered 2014 SLK350
499 Posts
Wow...I thought I had the modding disease with my Corvette. I did not know most of this stuff was even available for the SLK. Thanks for the posts!

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Additional mod links to add to the list....

• OEM MB LED lighted logo - Link here
  • Carbon Fiber Car Engine Start/Stop ignition trim for MB - Link here
  • MB car seat belt shoulder strap - Link here
  • MB wheel covers in matte black - Link here
  • MB license plate carbon fiber chrome text - Link here

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Amazing passion! My hats off to you Sir. 👍🏻
Your car reveal shows the passion and love you have poured into yours as well. I love all the nice touches you added. Very well done, sir.

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
@b82012
Wow, your car is just amazingly beautifully modified and adapted to both the color and your preferences. You are a school example of a true enthusiast 😊 (y)
Thanks Jan. We are all car enthusiasts hanging around a car forum.... :D with like-minded souls....

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
This weekend, tried to clean up the oval exhaust tips. Now I must say upfront that I didn't plan to meet the highest of standards set by @55russamg whose tips shine like the moon to planet earth :D This is just my very first attempt of several to come. For now I am pleased with the first course treatment applied....

Before - yuk!
tips-1.jpg

Cleaning Materials - steel wool, chrome exhaust polish, chrome exhaust cleaner, micro fiber cloths, applicators, brush, etc.
tips-3.jpg

After - notably good start to the clean up... the dark shade area in the picture isn't dirt/grease but reflection of some sort....
tips-4.jpg

And looking much better now....

tips-5.jpg

Question to you experts? What is the shiniest/chromiest product to really get the shine out of these tips?

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,729 Posts
INSIDE? Omo, you do have way too much time on your hands 🤣

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
INSIDE? Omo, you do have way too much time on your hands 🤣
We are in lock-down :giggle: And like many others, gotta find something to do indoors.... and working on the car on a weekend is as good a task... no?

·
Premium Member 2016 SLK300
162 Posts
Great read... enjoyed the trip through time!

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,561 Posts
Once cleaned up like they are now, you need to polish them.
I used an electric drill and a polishing mop with metal soap.
Then it's very easy to keep them clean with Solvol Autosol.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,561 Posts
Something like this, I think I used a 75mm taper one?
You won't need all this, one mop and stainless soap will do.

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
97 Posts
May 2020 - The panamericana grill install generated so much feedback via PMs that I had to consider a couple other mods... This time more black highlights front and back to enhance the aggressive new front grill. I chose 3M gloss black vinyl wrap, ordered a 5' x 6' size ($68) from fleabay and found a local installer to do the wrap for $250.

gloss black wrap added to following
  • front splitter (removed the previous cf wrap)
  • DRL housing (removed previous cf wrap)
  • front side bumper mouldings
  • roofline front above windscreen
  • rear spoiler
View attachment 576544
I am liking the detail changes to a very similar car to my own. I have added the gloss black AMG trim to the front splitter, and my wheels are standard AMG five spoke but gloss black with a diamond cut.

One thing that I also considered that could be another one for you, was gloss black to just the lower portion of the door mirrors. You can buy carbon fibre ones, but they are very expensive. It is a case of working out how to remove the lower part, which should be possible.

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
4 Posts
Mar 2020 - Due to the large amount of pot holes scattered across all highways, freeways and side roads in New England, it was a matter of time before my low profile 19" rims will suffer the consequences.... My car drove rough and vibrates even at moderate speed. I considered several options:
a) repair these rims
b) replace with a new set

I created a thread on this and the consensus was to consider repairing what I have if I like the rims and if the cost was workable. I found a rim repair shop who charges $100 per rim... He inspected the car and found all 4 rims were bent... o_O:mad::oops: That's why the vibration was so severe.

View attachment 576535

And worked his magic, one rim at a time....
View attachment 576536

Ahhhh.... one of the best $400 ever spent. Now the car is rock solid even at triple digit speed. (y)(y)

Apr 2020 - I had enjoyed upgrading my stock grill to a diamond grill version but I had a sneaky attraction to the Panamericana version. It has the right type of meanness and aggressive posture from the front as MB designed for their high end AMG GT signature cars. I talked myself into, again, swapping out my new grill for another one.

Long story short, finally ordered the chrome-black Panamericana grill I wanted from CKS Performance in the UK (another order-delivery mess of my own fault) which arrived despite the COVID lockdown.(y)(y)(y)
View attachment 576537

Installation at the shop
View attachment 576538

After a car wash, took some pictures to show off the new grill
View attachment 576539

View attachment 576540

May 2020 - The panamericana grill install generated so much feedback via PMs that I had to consider a couple other mods... This time more black highlights front and back to enhance the aggressive new front grill. I chose 3M gloss black vinyl wrap, ordered a 5' x 6' size ($68) from fleabay and found a local installer to do the wrap for $250.

gloss black wrap added to following
  • front splitter (removed the previous cf wrap)
  • DRL housing (removed previous cf wrap)
  • front side bumper mouldings
  • roofline front above windscreen
  • rear spoiler
View attachment 576544

View attachment 576545

View attachment 576546

Now you and I are all caught up to 3 years of modding and here we are circa May 8, 2020.....

Hope you have enjoyed the journey as much as I have. I am looking forward to what gets my fancy next. Certainly, the gloss black painting of the rear diffuser in on my to-do list next. So look out for that.
Jan 2017 - first mod was swapping out the stock 18" AMG wheels for 19" CLA45 AMG replica rims.
View attachment 576386

Added H&R spacers front (8mm) and rear (15mm) to get it to "look right" on my car.... love the result.
View attachment 576387

March 2017 - painted calipers in red
View attachment 576388

View attachment 576384

And rear camera added (Naviks controller + camera).
View attachment 576389

View attachment 576390
This is a thread to catalog my 2013 SLK350 journey from start to finish all in a single one-size-fits-all thread. You will see all the mods and the journey it has taken. As all of you know, modding is a disease with no known cure :giggle: and even as modified as my car is, there are no guarantee it won't continue to add a piece here or there over time.... we change and our interests change as well, so I fully expect to change my mind on with new stuff added or taken off. And when I do, you will get to see it all right here...

Before we begin the journey, a small but important caveat. This thread is starting 3 years after the fact, so I will be travelling back in time and work my way slowly but surely to the present....

So let's start the journey

Jan 2017

Purchased car at MB of Tysons Corner, VA, USA.
2013 SLK350 (WDDPK5HA2DF050426)
1,919 miles, $37,000 + ttl (incl 1-yr MB CPO)

At dealership lot when I arrived
View attachment 576381

Drove it home 475 miles from VA to MA arriving to a snowy driveway.... This is Day #1 of ownership.
View attachment 576382

From here forward, began the modification journey....
This is a thread to catalog my 2013 SLK350 journey from start to finish all in a single one-size-fits-all thread. You will see all the mods and the journey it has taken. As all of you know, modding is a disease with no known cure :giggle: and even as modified as my car is, there are no guarantee it won't continue to add a piece here or there over time.... we change and our interests change as well, so I fully expect to change my mind on with new stuff added or taken off. And when I do, you will get to see it all right here...

Before we begin the journey, a small but important caveat. This thread is starting 3 years after the fact, so I will be travelling back in time and work my way slowly but surely to the present....

So let's start the journey

Jan 2017

Purchased car at MB of Tysons Corner, VA, USA.
2013 SLK350 (WDDPK5HA2DF050426)
1,919 miles, $37,000 + ttl (incl 1-yr MB CPO)

At dealership lot when I arrived
View attachment 576381

Drove it home 475 miles from VA to MA arriving to a snowy driveway.... This is Day #1 of ownership.
View attachment 576382

From here forward, began the modification journey....
I have a 2012 and have tried to install the Malvik's rear camera but cannot for the life of me figure out how to tie it to the reverse lights. Any hint would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Terry

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I have a 2012 and have tried to install the Malvik's rear camera but cannot for the life of me figure out how to tie it to the reverse lights. Any hint would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Terry
My cameras were installed at Best Buy (Geek Squad Auto) for $50. Not a bad deal.... Call up a local store and see if they can help out.

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I am liking the detail changes to a very similar car to my own. I have added the gloss black AMG trim to the front splitter, and my wheels are standard AMG five spoke but gloss black with a diamond cut.

One thing that I also considered that could be another one for you, was gloss black to just the lower portion of the door mirrors. You can buy carbon fibre ones, but they are very expensive. It is a case of working out how to remove the lower part, which should be possible.
Thanks for the compliments. I do remember your car as well. Although I should never say "never" o_O ... but unlikely I wrap any portion of my mirrors.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts