Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Super Moderator 2013 SLK350
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a thread to catalog my 2013 SLK350 journey from start to finish all in a single one-size-fits-all thread. You will see all the mods and the journey it has taken. As all of you know, modding is a disease with no known cure :giggle: and even as modified as my car is, there are no guarantee it won't continue to add a piece here or there over time.... we change and our interests change as well, so I fully expect to change my mind on with new stuff added or taken off. And when I do, you will get to see it all right here...

Before we begin the journey, a small but important caveat. This thread is starting 3 years after the fact, so I will be travelling back in time and work my way slowly but surely to the present....

So let's start the journey

Jan 2017

Purchased car at MB of Tysons Corner, VA, USA.
2013 SLK350 (WDDPK5HA2DF050426)
1,919 miles, $37,000 + ttl (incl 1-yr MB CPO)

At dealership lot when I arrived
2020-Pics 892.JPG

Drove it home 475 miles from VA to MA arriving to a snowy driveway.... This is Day #1 of ownership.
15641.jpg

From here forward, began the modification journey....

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Jan 2017 - first mod was swapping out the stock 18" AMG wheels for 19" CLA45 AMG replica rims.
new CLA45-19-rims.jpg

Added H&R spacers front (8mm) and rear (15mm) to get it to "look right" on my car.... love the result.
new-19-inch-rims.jpg

March 2017 - painted calipers in red
painting-caliper.jpg

Caliper+after.jpg

And rear camera added (Naviks controller + camera).
Naviks-camera-install.jpg

rear-camera-install.jpg

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
March 2017 - ordered (Jan) and received (March) the R172 SLK350 Fox Sport exhaust.... long story but not gonna revisit this order and delivery issues... the end result was well worth the cost and wait...
Fox_Sport_exhaust_R172.jpg

Installed
Fox-exhaust-install.jpg

Added red-raised MB wheel covers to give the wheels some punch and coordinate with the red calipers.
red-raised-cover.jpg

April 2017 - Took a trip north of the border (to Canada) and met up with some SLKers at lunch and a 2-car mini-show....
canada-trip-2.jpg

canada-trip-4.jpg

canada-trip-5.jpg

and our friend and host while in Canada paying for gas...
canada-1.jpg

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
April 2017 - added Piecha RS throttle controller to reduce or eliminate the lag when you press down on the throttle. Piecha controller = lag gone. One of the best mods on the car. Cannot imagine driving this car without this feature.
Piecha-module.jpg

May 2017 - added front facing camera, using the Naviks controller unit.
camera-1.jpg

camera-3.jpg

June 2017 - replaced rear rotors with drilled and slotted, including MB coding.

drilled-rotor.jpg

May 2017 - took a trip to NJ and met up with another SLKer. Tried out his DTE throttle controller as well as my Piecha controller. Was a lotta fun driving each other's car....

carmeet-nj-1.jpg

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So in the first 6 months the car had undergone changes that had already transformed the look and driveability. I had thought I was done modding... and was going to take a mod vacation... well that lasted a NY nanosecond. So what was my next to-do mod? CF wrap.... thanks to @jbanks15 :D I figured I could tone down the chromy stuff and the bland front fascia with just a wrap to the front splitter and DRL housing.

The end result was pretty good. This mod lasted for 3 years.... OK I am jumping ahead, sorry folks...
cf-wrap.jpg

cf-wrap-2.jpg

Followed by replacing the stock air filter with the aFE dry air filter in order to "improve" the exhaust sound. Went through two replacements of this filter until my Indy convinced me that I really didn't need it. That the stock air filter will do as good a job with the sound level...it lasted a couple years before I yanked it off...
aFE-air-filter-2.jpg

aFE-air-filter.jpg

Then joined a "Cars n Coffee" event at my local MB dealership, and even found myself added to the event line-up, which was kinda cool. I was placed in the MB sedan/coupe/convertible group. A bunch of oldies goldies MBs, but it was all fun and good just to be there...
carshow-1.jpg

carshow-2.jpg

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
6 months into ownership, I am down $x,xxx and summer is coming up. Rather than spend $$ on the SLK, it was time for family vacation. Location was easy as my daughter who was turning 25 said she would like a trip to south beach in Miami, so there we were all four of us for a family summer vacay.

One notable memory among unforgettable ones that summer was my 2 daughters had secretly planned a surprise (but belated) Father's Day gift for me (which the whole family will join in). A helicopter ride around Miami... and that was my first time in a helicopter. Scary at first but was a lotta fun. In my next life, I wanna be a pilot. One of the coolest job in the world...

Me chilling in the copter...
copter-1.jpg

Gorgeous images I took with my iPhone of some of the landmarks in the city from the ride.
southbeach-1.jpg

southbeach-2.jpg

southbeach-3.jpg

Summer vacay in Miami rolled into a biz trip to Seoul, South Korea in the Fall... these meant the SLK didn't get much attention rest of 2017 and hence no mods in the second half of 2017. Besides, the pocket book needed rest....

Exit 2017...

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,773 Posts
Interesting journey Omo (y)

Reactions: Icepilot and b82012

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jan 2018 - first order of business was a new set of Conti DWS06 A/S which should provide better traction in all season driving. This tire turned out to be awesome in the wet (we get plenty of rain here in New England), and better than my expectation in snowy conditions. Even drove it on my icy driveway this winter.

❄❄❄ This is what we woke up to in Jan in the north east surburban corner of MA where we live. Brutal wintery January with up to 12" of snow....
snowy-2.jpg

Requiring an upgrade of tires to the Conti DWS06 (y) S = Snow, so the SLK can be driven with proper shoes. Could have gone with actual snow tires, but I just wanted a high performing a/s set to put on. These tires are well worth their costs...
Conti DWS06.jpg

And doing a great job with good traction up and down the slight incline of my snow covered driveway (y)
snow-day-2.jpg

June 2018 - added a lighted LED MB logo to give the front a little more punch at night.
lightedLED-4.jpg

SLKWorld Stickers were ordered (thanks to @simplyslk) and received....
sticker-1.jpg

And finally decided the best location placement.... top roofline where it should be quite visible.
sticker-2.jpg

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dec 2018 - Well we are at year end and had a fancy to change my wheels. Looked far and wide and decided on a 5-spoke 19" common to many R171s... so ordered one to replace the 16-spoke rims. They were installed along with new rear Conti DWS06 tires... With the 16-spoke off, no longer need for H&R spacers bcos the new rims had decent offsets.

New 19" 5-spoke rims with silver MB wheel covers.
19x8.5 (front) +35 offset
19x9.5 (rear) +35 offset

new-wheels-3.jpg

Rim offset view from front
new-wheels-6.jpg

rim offset view from rear
new-wheels-7.jpg

new-wheels-4.jpg

Well, 2018 turned out to be light on my pocket books in SLK spend, due largely to a very busy professional year. There was so much going on this year that I didn't have as much time to spend doing much to the car. Regular oil changes and servicing were performed.... One in particular came early in 2019.... which is next post.

Exit 2018.

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Jan 2019: New year means new opportunities to "improve" the SLK inside and out. First order of business was to change out the silver MB wheel covers to black which gives it more punch, and aligns with the black highlights on the front fascia.

black-covers.jpg

Then added a contrast ring to the silvery Start/Stop button...
stop-start-cover.jpg

March 2019: 50K mile service was due and along with the service was an additional lubing of all the hinges and pivot points particularly for the roof system.

serviceb.jpg

oiling-joints.jpg

At some point, my Indy convinced MB dealership that they should cover replacement of my left and right catalytic converters so got an appointment scheduled, and had it done. The MB service techs were impressed with the sound of the exhaust and the setup and allowed me to take their pic as they worked on the car. Cool dudes...

MB-shop-repair.jpg

July 2019 - Added a dashcam - Crosstour CR350...

dashcam-2.jpg

dashcam-3.jpg

This little dash cam is a low-cost ($35) but high performing feature that has generated tons of good video of many road trips... highly recommended. Install was performed by the Geek Squad (Best Buy Audio shop).

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Feb 2019 - Yes I know, I am going back a few months in this storyline, but need to not forget this.

35% ceramic tint - installer guaranteed lifetime tint won't turn purplish or fade. So far, so good...
tint-2.jpg

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Back to the timeline...

Sept 2019 - Started toying with the idea of dark highlights to the rear of the car much as the cf-wrapping of the front splitter done more than 1 year earlier. As a way to test this out, I figured starting with a plasti-dip.... so gathered all materials, and set up to plasti-dip the MB badge, name and rear spoiler..

Materials
plastidip-1.jpg

Task #1 - MB badge and SLK350 name dipping in "Smoke" and finished with a "glossier" for added shine.

Prep
plastidip-2.jpg

After 5 cycles of spraying. Only the name came out OK, MB badge was a fail.... no worries tho'...
plastidip-3.jpg

Next was the spoiler... also went through 5 cycles of spray and glossier.... turned out pretty good for a first-timer.
plastidip-4.jpg

Big reveal....
plastidip-10.jpg

Then went out for a car wash and gas fill-up
plastidip-11.jpg

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oct 2019 - next project was inspired by @frogfoot who had beautiful white upraised lettering on his 17" tires. I just loved the way it gave his car such a refined look. I reached out to Pete (@frogfoot) and got some instructions and how-to. Set about another DIY. I ordered materials from fleabay as well as my local auto parts shop... wanted to try it out first and see... and if it didn't work, oh well, nothing much has been lost.

Ordered 2 new Conti DWS06 front tires in 235/35/19s and set about first painting these in white letters....
plastidip-7.jpg

plastidip-8.jpg

Not bad... not great either, but it will do for now. Had to wait to do the rear tires while off the car...

Before these tires could all go on the car, I had started another mod project

Oct 2019 - changing front grill to Diamond grill - ordered from a China seller off Alibaba.... took a couple weeks to arrive
diamond-grill.jpg

Installed
d-grill-1.jpg

Even better look at night time with the lighted MB logo
d-grill-2.jpg

The diamond-grill install also included the white lettering tires... unfortunately didn't come out as well in the pictures., but did look good for a low profile 19" with low side wall and not much room for lettering.
mounted-2.jpg

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To close out 2019, the family had one of the best Xmas/New Year vacation EVER.... to a small island town of Sayulita, Mexico. What a wonderful couple weeks of sun, beach, food, drinks, food, drinks... did I say food and drinks??? (y) (y) (y) Sayulita, Mexico... Guayabitos, Nayarit, Mexico... oh my...unforgettable experience.... no SLK involved...

Pictures can never truly capture the feeling of Sayulita.... but here is one, taken on the balcony of our Air BnB perched almost 2000 ft above sea level with views as far as the eyes can see... unbelievable memories... cannot wait for a return visit at a not-too-distant future....
sayulita-4.jpg

Exit 2019..... and enter into the world of COVID-19.... yuk!

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
15,688 Posts
A great thread. Modifying, for me, is all about personalising the car to your own tastes and, thanks to the mods you've made, this car is uniquely yours. It looks beautiful and I bet it brings a smile to your face every time you fire it up. (y) :)

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A great thread. Modifying, for me, is all about personalising the car to your own tastes and, thanks to the mods you've made, this car is uniquely yours. It looks beautiful and I bet it brings a smile to your face every time you fire it up. (y) :)
Awwww.... Davie, that is as absolutely correct as a post can be. Thanks and appreciate your kind words.

This is actually a good time to mention that I had PMs from other members about creating a thread such as this and one of my inspiration was your “Mabel” thread, Davie. It is chuck full of stories and personalization of your very beautiful AMG. So thanks for the inspiration and ideas, although yours is in real time mine is retrospective, but I am about to catch up to real time in a couple more posts...

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mar 2020 - Due to the large amount of pot holes scattered across all highways, freeways and side roads in New England, it was a matter of time before my low profile 19" rims will suffer the consequences.... My car drove rough and vibrates even at moderate speed. I considered several options:
a) repair these rims
b) replace with a new set

I created a thread on this and the consensus was to consider repairing what I have if I like the rims and if the cost was workable. I found a rim repair shop who charges $100 per rim... He inspected the car and found all 4 rims were bent... o_O:mad::oops: That's why the vibration was so severe.

rim_under_repair.jpg

And worked his magic, one rim at a time....
rim_repair.jpg

Ahhhh.... one of the best $400 ever spent. Now the car is rock solid even at triple digit speed. (y)(y)

Apr 2020 - I had enjoyed upgrading my stock grill to a diamond grill version but I had a sneaky attraction to the Panamericana version. It has the right type of meanness and aggressive posture from the front as MB designed for their high end AMG GT signature cars. I talked myself into, again, swapping out my new grill for another one.

Long story short, finally ordered the chrome-black Panamericana grill I wanted from CKS Performance in the UK (another order-delivery mess of my own fault) which arrived despite the COVID lockdown.(y)(y)(y)
Grille-3.jpg

Installation at the shop
-22-.jpg

After a car wash, took some pictures to show off the new grill
-6-.jpg

d-way-4.jpg

May 2020 - The panamericana grill install generated so much feedback via PMs that I had to consider a couple other mods... This time more black highlights front and back to enhance the aggressive new front grill. I chose 3M gloss black vinyl wrap, ordered a 5' x 6' size ($68) from fleabay and found a local installer to do the wrap for $250.

gloss black wrap added to following
  • front splitter (removed the previous cf wrap)
  • DRL housing (removed previous cf wrap)
  • front side bumper mouldings
  • roofline front above windscreen
  • rear spoiler
wrap-1.jpg

wrap-4.jpg

wrap-15.jpg

Now you and I are all caught up to 3 years of modding and here we are circa May 8, 2020.....

Hope you have enjoyed the journey as much as I have. I am looking forward to what gets my fancy next. Certainly, the gloss black painting of the rear diffuser in on my to-do list next. So look out for that.

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really like what you’ve done (y)
I am considering the black vinyl strip over the windscreen (windshield), i think it really finishes off the black from the magic sky roof.
Black rear spoiler........mmmm, now you’ve got me thinking.
Yes to the black wrap on the roofline on a white SLK. It does indeed finish off the Magic Sky roof very nicely. This idea was first suggested by @juls and then expanded with visuals by @LatinViking. I was initially resistant, but I am a believer. For a white car with Magic Sky, it should be a no brainer. It doesn't take away anything nor distract from the beauty of the car... just enhances/accentuates...

As to glossy black painting of the diffuser, it just makes so much sense seeing the high gloss black shine of the rear spoiler across the trunk/boot discordant with the (dull-looking) matte black diffuser below it.

I am going to DIY it when I have the time.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts