Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was crusing up I-35 just south of San Antonio on Saturday morning and I was taking it fairly easy as a result of a recent warning from the state police ...

I had the cruise set to 74 mph and was riding along in the right lane when I had to move to the passing lane to go by a slower SUV. When I looked in the rear view I noticed a smoked black Mustang coming up pretty fast so I decided to have some fun and I jumped on it hard to pass just to show how quick I was. I took it up to about 95 and moved it back over to the right lane.

Well, the Mustang took bait and jumped on it too. I let him get the momentum and when he was along side I hit it again and gave him a chase. I thought I would catch him in a matter of seconds but I was surprised when he stayed 3/4 of a length ahead of me and I couldn't close the gap. We only stayed like this for a couple hundred yards as there was some traffic up ahead and we were catching them quick. By the time I eased off I looked at the speed long enough to see we were doing over 125 - which is now as fast as I've had the opportunity to go.

I had to hand it to him at keeping me behind like he did. I didn't see any distinctive markings to indicate he had anything other then what I guess would be the standard V8. Might have had some work under the hood though.

Most of you know this already but what a nice ride. At 125 with the top up, you might have thought you were doing 60. Just as smooth and stable as could be.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Probably not even a Roush. All it would take is a set of nice headers, and a chip and the v8 mustang will keep up.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
My cousin has a 437R, and all the Roush's I've ever seen are badged and bodied - pretty hard to miss. He's not a drag strip sorta guy, but if I remember correctly he managed a 111 / mid 12's quarter without a lot of time in the seat.

It's damned fast in a straight line, and feels like it - you do 125, you *know* it's going fast - 125 in my '350 is deceptive and feels like 75 in the Mustang.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
It's damned fast in a straight line, and feels like it - you do 125, you *know* it's going fast - 125 in my '350 is deceptive and feels like 75 in the Mustang.
Yup...thanks to that solid rear axle in the mustang. Gotta love that wheel hop when you floor it too!

·
Registered
405 Posts
My brother in law has his mustang parked here at my place. It's a 07 GT. He put headers/exhaust, larger TB, Cold air intake and chipped it.

We tooked it out on the highway about a month ago. It DEFINITELY has enough power to keep up and beat my SLK. However, getting the correct harness on that power off the get go seems a little tricky. I'm sure once he gets used to launching it he'll have no problem in beating me in a straight line.

In the corners? I'm pretty sure I've got him beat. Just to make sure I think we'll have to go to an slalom event ;)

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
What's a corner???

If the SLK doesn't hands-down beat a stock Mustang chassis in the corners, I'll eat my shorts. In fact I'd eat yours.

I've driven a Mustang GT and cornering is not it's strong point. Our SLK200 would leave a mustang around the twisty stuff. Too soft, too big, too heavy, brakes are rubbish, suspension is crude. And if it's wet, you'd go straight to the scene of the accident...:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

I am a BIG fan of the Mustang GT, but it's not a car to hussle round bends. Well maybe one, but not a series of 'em.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
What's a corner???

If the SLK doesn't hands-down beat a stock Mustang chassis in the corners, I'll eat my shorts. In fact I'd eat yours. ......
Hate to break it to you but they keep'ed up in the corners then flew by on the straits. They are real Shelby's and Roush's that track at Willow Springs, not the ones sold at general Ford dealers. They are sold at one dealer only (forget the name, their in LA area).

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
561 Posts
I don't know much about Mustangs, but i came across one which looked like it was souped up. There was too much traffic, however i managed to pull up right next to it. I was looking straight at the guy hoping he'd go for it (we were at 50mph).....but instead he showed off his hydrolics :p. The car just dropped low to the ground and made a hissing hydrolic sound. I was like WOW! You should have seen the way that baby dropped.....the next thing i thought to myself "...he better not have NOS...". LoL.

Anyhow i hit the pedal to the metal (the music i was listening to got me pumped) and swerved thru traffic for about a quarter mile before i hit destination :p. Gotta love the fact how tiny the car is to swerve thru crowd!

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Hate to break it to you but they keep'ed up in the corners then flew by on the straits. They are real Shelby's and Roush's that track at Willow Springs, not the ones sold at general Ford dealers. They are sold at one dealer only (forget the name, their in LA area).
Well, cross country on the UK B-roads and unclassified road, IMHO I'd quickly end up in the hedge pushing a Mustang GT along. I'm not talking about Shelby or Roush, but as mentioned in my first reply 'stock' Mustang GTs. Unless the one I drove was a dog, then I don't think they are as poised as the SLK on the proper twisty stuff. Any succession of bends and the body gets very out of control and I felt that I would need a lot of room to keep it on the black stuff. Mind you I'm not a race or rally driver, so perhaps my R) technique is poor.

On the race track, with tweaked engine, suspension, brakes, then yeah maybe different story, although a similalrly prepared SLK 55 AMG would surely still bring it home?

And anyway like I said, I am a fan of the Mustang GT. Proof that the US muscle car, though ailing, is still around and in your (our) face.:rb:bannana::tu:

·
Registered
2,197 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was crusing up I-35 just south of San Antonio on Saturday morning and I was taking it fairly easy as a result of a recent warning from the state police ...

I had the cruise set to 74 mph and was riding along in the right lane when I had to move to the passing lane to go by a slower SUV. When I looked in the rear view I noticed a smoked black Mustang coming up pretty fast so I decided to have some fun and I jumped on it hard to pass just to show how quick I was. I took it up to about 95 and moved it back over to the right lane.

Well, the Mustang took bait and jumped on it too. I let him get the momentum and when he was along side I hit it again and gave him a chase. I thought I would catch him in a matter of seconds but I was surprised when he stayed 3/4 of a length ahead of me and I couldn't close the gap. We only stayed like this for a couple hundred yards as there was some traffic up ahead and we were catching them quick. By the time I eased off I looked at the speed long enough to see we were doing over 125 - which is now as fast as I've had the opportunity to go.

I had to hand it to him at keeping me behind like he did. I didn't see any distinctive markings to indicate he had anything other then what I guess would be the standard V8. Might have had some work under the hood though.

Most of you know this already but what a nice ride. At 125 with the top up, you might have thought you were doing 60. Just as smooth and stable as could be.
Unless I misunderstood your post, it sounds as though you allowed the Mustang to have a running start on you - allowing him to "gain momentum" until he was right next to you...then you decided to then floor it? If this was the case, it's no wonder you could not pull him...he would have had a several mile an hour advantage on you (I don't know how much of an mph advantage as you did not advise in your post?). Unless you have a monstrous Hp advantage, it's going to be near impossible to slow his pull, then stop it, then reel him in if he had a several mph "jump" on you.

-Matt

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Damn Mustangs... ;)

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
No real events yet, just cruises - waiting til cooler fall air to take it to the strip. Will only get one chance at that as under the IHRA rules I must have a roll bar in it to run (required for all convertibles running quicker than 13.5). As I've no intention of adding one, I'll get kicked off the track the first day out no doubt *L*.

The car did make 489rwhp recently on the same dyno where my old SLK55 made 265rwhp (DynoDynamics dyno which characteristically show 5 - 10% lower numbers than the more common DynoJets) - it's a different kind of beast for sure! :tu:

Hope you're still getting some regular track time in yourself!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
If I was any good at 'chopping I would, but that stuff is beyond me LOL!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
The close races are always the best ones, at least at the strip - I assume it's the same on a roadcourse; ;) but whatever the case, it's always good to hear about owners having fun with these cars in whatever settting!

And since the topic of this post was "Mustang" allow me a wee bit of self indulgence *L* and post a vid of mine on the dyno...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts