Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, finally had the X pipe exhaust mod done on my SLK55. Also added the K&N filters to assist the breathing. Can't believe how much better it sounds and runs. Feels like some additional HP has been gained but the BIG pleasure is the sound it makes when the accelerator is pressed. What a pleasure to hear that sweet little V8 working. If you're considering the exhaust mod, by all means, do it. You'll LOVE the result!!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,284 Posts
I couldn't agree more about x-pipe (I haven't fitted K&N filters, but I have deleted secondary cats too)... >:D

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,438 Posts
Should pass the emissions test on primaries alone and there are a few people on the forum who have passed MOTs with the secondaries removed. Not had mine tested since the surgery but have kept the section just in case! You could opt to leave the secondaries in as others have, and just swap out the resonator for the x-pipe!

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
14,249 Posts
recently had my mot done with secondary cats and resonator box delete and x pipe fitted and passed no probs on emmisions
Mabel, with the same mods, passed her MOT ok last year. She's due another in March, but I have no worries on this score. :smile:

·
Banned
9 Posts
If I had an x-pipe, the police would be waiting all over town for me. When the light goes green, or the road is clear, I like to 'go' without turning every head (with smartphone attached) on the street. I guess if you never go above 3k rpm in the 'burbs you could use a little extra noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It only makes noise if you ask for it. At cruise it's no louder than it was before the X pipe. Sound's REALLY good when you DO ask for it.

·
2,438 Posts
Not everyone enjoys a more pronounced exhaust note but each to their own! I found the standard SLK55 soundtrack pleasing but a little too subdued! After losing the resonator and secondary cats the noise is much more befitting of the 5.4 V8!

I love it and the volume control is with your right foot except the cold start which is another story!

As many others have said time and time again though cruising there is no unbearable drone and the overall sound is still relatively refined. My Impreza was unbearable on long journeys and in a totally different league noise wise!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am just about to get this mod done but I'm not 100% sure should I get rid of the cats or not?
Is there much difference in noise levels with or without the secondary cats?
And can I be sure there will not be any drone at motorway speeds?

·
1,722 Posts
Hi all
Yes there is a lot of difference between an Xpipe with fours cats & an xpipe with only two cats , I'm in the four cats camp but I think it's only me here ?? . Them others in the two cats camp are just old boy racers & they all wear there flat-caps the wrong way round .

Cheers

Andy

·
2,438 Posts
Hi all
Yes there is a lot of difference between an Xpipe with fours cats & an xpipe with only two cats , I'm in the four cats camp but I think it's only me here ?? . Them others in the two cats camp are just old boy racers & they all wear there flat-caps the wrong way round .

Cheers

Andy
I am just about to get this mod done but I'm not 100% sure should I get rid of the cats or not?
Is there much difference in noise levels with or without the secondary cats?
And can I be sure there will not be any drone at motorway speeds?
Those secondary cats have a massive silencing effect as Andy points out! As for all of us being old boy racers I'll take that as a compliment! Better than being young or old and boring and blending in with all quiet cars! You either need to hear both and make up your mind which you prefer or do it in stages and stop when you're happy with the volume. I was sold as soon as I heard Dave's car @dbgrn that cats out was the way to go!

I don't own any kind of hat let alone a flat cap!:wink:

·
11,284 Posts
Andy ( @ZeroZero ) took me for a ride in his SLK before I had my x-pipe fitted, and I must agree that his car does sound great!... it's just that I decided I wanted even more growl from my V8 once I got around to getting my x-pipe fitted, so I decided to get the secondary cats removed at the same time too... I do still have them in my garage, should I ever decide to have them put back in (not that I'm planning to do that now though)... perhaps something I might want to do once I enter my next decade (and I turned 50 a couple of weeks agao).. ;)

Cruising at motorway speeds (or just above ;) ) is fine. I guess it might be a little louder than standard when cruising, but no problem with a drone). The extra volume kicks in whenever you press on the loud pedal to accelerated! :D

PS. Check the x-pipe links in my signature if you want to see & hear more! :tu:

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,643 Posts
I really want to do this but am afraid it will not pass MOT.
Secondary cat removal makes no difference to emissions. My 55 sailed through with x pipe and 2nd cats removed.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks for the help guys.:smile:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'd love a bit more exhaust snort to disguise my SLK 200's disappointing 1.8L engine sound. :-/ With windows open / roof down the current exhaust snort is nice as u can't hear the engine. But I'm a bit worried incase this mod just sounds like a louder 1.8L rather than a 55?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You will never get a 200 to sound like a 55, not even a 280 nor a 350.

But why would you want to anyway? Other than maybe 4 seconds heavy on the right peddle, the 200 offers all what the 55 offers on the public roads plus more money in the bank! No noise or fancy badges I agree, but do you know what? Most people looking at an SLK on the road would not know, or care, what the differences are between the models!

Leave the exhaust exactly as it is. It sounds fine!

·
Registered
83 Posts
You will never get a 200 to sound like a 55, not even a 280 nor a 350.

But why would you want to anyway? Other than maybe 4 seconds heavy on the right peddle, the 200 offers all what the 55 offers on the public roads plus more money in the bank! No noise or fancy badges I agree, but do you know what? Most people looking at an SLK on the road would not know, or care, what the differences are between the models!

Leave the exhaust exactly as it is. It sounds fine!
Not sure I agree with that statement ! My wife, who has no idea about cars, and someone I would say is in the "most people" category, saw me pull up when I first got the 55 AMG and said "That can't be a SLK, it looks too manly" !

I have friends with Westfields, Lotus, Bentleys, and Type Rs and having myself owned Boxsters, Caymans, S2000's, Lotus Exige and a Honda Powered Elise before, they thought I had lost the plot when I said I was getting a SLK ! But having seen it in the flesh, the car has won them over, and it would never have done that had it not been for that snarling beast of an engine !!!

Long live the V8 !!! And the X pipe of course !

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Diplomacy is not your forte, is it?

Can you not see that he has a 200 for whatever reason and would really like to have something bigger but cannot for whatever reason.

He has an SLK, why not just help him out and make him feel wanted rather than blather on about friends you allegedly know with Bentleys and Type Rs (both ugh cars anyway) who are limited to judging a car by the engine snarl! I'd hate to hear the conversation when you all got together…

I think the idea on this forum is to be part of a community and recognise each other for what they are/have.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts