Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alansglide (Alan), Todd157K (Todd) and SantaMonica SLK32 (Bill), are going to do a canyon run on May 1st, 2010, starting at approximately 2pm.

Starting Point is the Starbucks at Ventura Blvd and Topanga Canyon Blvd in Woodland Hills. From there we will head to Mulholland Highway and choose some canyon roads off Mulholland. I'll post up a google map as I get time later this afternoon.

I know it is short notice (even small drives take a little while to get planned and coordinated lol), but all SLKworld members and friends are welcome to join in. We can trade cell numbers by PM.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
I have a wedding to attend on May 1st and work on May 2nd.

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,935 Posts
I'm in for tomorrow. It's kind of a bad time of day from a traffic-predictability standpoint, so Bill, I'll call you if the traffic is hopeless. Otherwise see you there at the Starbucks @ 2pm.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
299 Posts
I might be able to make it. Wanted to get the redhead washed first. If I don't make the starbucks I might be able to catch up somewhere along the route. I'll PM you my cell.

·
4,935 Posts
Had a blast as usual! Thanks Bill for putting it together. We had Bill (SantamonicaSLK32), Todd (Todd157) & Grace, Alan (Alansglide), Jason (LynxFX) and myself.

We carved quite a few canyons and there was a lot of the smell of hot brakes, and even some smoke at the end of Tuna Canyon. And the roll-bar on Alan's SL popped up for the first time since he's owned the car. We must've been doing something right! :rb

My pictures turned out mostly vague for some reason, so here's just a couple that turned out OK.

Attachments

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
The drive on the Malibu canyon roads is wicked !!! I am thinking about retrofitting the front brakes to 2005-2007 specifications.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Was a lot of fun and on such short notice too. I felt like the odd one out being surrounded by black beauties. :)

I pushed it on Latigo more than usual. Took it sideways for the first time, not scary sideways, but enough to pucker up.

So what is the expected lifespan on our brakes....considering the number of runs we have been doing?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a great time today too. Glad we could get 5 cars together on short notice! The drive was fun (smoking brakes are a good measure that we had fun and didn't baby our cars!) and the weather was awesome. And clear enough too for some nice views.

I'm hanging out with my wife tonight, so I will post pics and vids tomorrow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Today,was a total kick !!!

Smoking brakes,roll bar popping up for the first time,and the most important thing from today,a grin that goes from ear to ear.
Thanks guys.

Alan

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to Alan, Todd, Jason and Durk for meeting up yesterday for the drive. Extra thanks to Todd for having me over to his place for a pressure wash and detailing session (and related car talk) before the drive so our black beauties would look good on the road, on pics and on video.

Below is the Youtube video of the Tuna Canyon part of the drive.

·
4,935 Posts
I think I prefer the slighty more shaky, but much larger angle of view setup of the Latigo section. Also I can actually see myself there here and there for a 10th of a second or so at a time :biglaugh:.

It's amazing how different the sense of speed is when you're actually in the car, vs watching it on video. The Latigo section was the part where Alan's roll-bar popped up; I was watching for it to see if I could spot when it happened but I didn't find it. Although the car went from digging in one side to the other very quickly a few times, which is probably when it would happen, assuming it's some kind of yaw sensor that triggers the mechanism.

Curious to see Grace's video as well which was handheld.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Two very nice video's Bill.The new system seems to work rather well.

I too,looked in the Latigo vid for the roll bar popping up.I do remember,after it popped up,I looked back at it,and when I turned my head back to the road,I was on the side of the pavement.
Didnt spot it in the vid :)

Great weather,good company,and good roads,made for a very enjoyable day.

Alan

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think I prefer the slighty more shaky, but much larger angle of view setup of the Latigo section. Also I can actually see myself there here and there for a 10th of a second or so at a time :biglaugh:.

It's amazing how different the sense of speed is when you're actually in the car, vs watching it on video. The Latigo section was the part where Alan's roll-bar popped up; I was watching for it to see if I could spot when it happened but I didn't find it. Although the car went from digging in one side to the other very quickly a few times, which is probably when it would happen, assuming it's some kind of yaw sensor that triggers the mechanism.

Curious to see Grace's video as well which was handheld.
The 90 degree rotation isn't good, as having more height than width doesn't work for following cars around corners. Oh well, live and learn....

I only posted half the Latigo drive to Youtube. I'll post the other half soon. Takes about 4X the actually length of time of the video to edit, save, upload to youtube, and let youtube do its publishing routine. I hope to get at least 2 more video segments posted to Youtube and linked in here as the day goes on.

And as far as I recall, we completely obeyed all speed limits and rules of the road on these drives!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Here is the 2nd half of the Latigo Canyon run on youtube. I am out of vimeo upload time until tomorrow (when it resets for me). I'll put both halves of the Latigo Canyon run on Vimeo, as I think it is higher resolution than Youtube.

I do find I can increase the size of the youtube vids by about 50% as I view them and they don't get too grainey.

Also, I shot all these vids with my windows down, since the weather was so gorgeous. I guess my camera can only record so much total volume of sound, and the air noise drowns out engine noise. I think I will film future vids always windows up. I would rather hear engines than rushing air!

Edit: the roll bar pops up around 4:55 into this vid

1 - 20 of 42 Posts