Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If we sawzaw off the muffler and run a straight pipe with a welded tip on it - will it throw any codes? Cause it to perform poorly? Thinking it is cheaper for some increased sound for my toy.

I know its ridiculous - but its a cheap hack and will add some noise! I only hot rod this car around town - :)

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
868 Posts
as far as I can think you'll be fine as long as your primaries are kept in place! The 3.2 is (IIRC) the same lump as in the Crossfire and so can sound quite fruity - but can drone at roughly 50/60 mph

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as far as I can think you'll be fine as long as your primaries are kept in place! The 3.2 is (IIRC) the same lump as in the Crossfire and so can sound quite fruity - but can drone at roughly 50/60 mph
Thanks Waylander~ I don't plan on going the full exhaust route. I did this to an old G35 and it sounded great, drone was pretty bad at highway speeds - but at full throttle it was awesome!!

I am planning to do a before and after on youtube, will post links when done. Worse case I tack it back on :)

·
Registered 2001 SLK 320
37 Posts
Full Cat Delete/straight Pipe

I did the full cat delete/straight pipe. I put a flowmaster super 10 muffler due to Hawaii regs that require a "muffler". It did sound alot better but more of a rice burner between 2300 and 3200 rpm. There was a bit if drone too arounf 50-60 mph, I ended up putting a flowmaster resonator to quiet down the drone but the sound was about the same. I do get OBD codes occasionally for the O2 sensor seeing as there are no cats at all. However, I just reset them and they stay off for some time. I have found a "Mini O2 Cat Bung" that is made custom and can be ordered online that is supposed to fix the obd codes being throne. Going to try that sometime in the future. See the link below

O2 Simulator Mini Cat Cel Fix stainless steel Rear O2 sensor simulator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts