Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently in widespread release in the US. Touching tear-jerker of life lessons learned by a race driver, told through the eyes of his dog. Dog well voiced by Kevin Costner. Some driving, some automotive eye candy, but best for dog lovers. Take your tissues. Four and a half out of five.

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,487 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Critics are completely out of touch with the vast majority of movie goers' tastes. If critics pan and trash a movie, I have a 90% expectation of enjoying it.

An emotional movie through the eyes of a dog? No DUH it is going to be a bit melodramatic and manipulative. That's kinda the dang point! A marvel comics superhero flic?Of course it's gonna be gratuitous CGI and corny one liners!

This idea that every movie has to surprise and wow you by breaking from your expectations of what it will be is absolute nonsense. If I go in expecting to tear up, damn it make me tear up! If I go in expecting a cheesy romcom, I better get that cheddar!

Movie critics are (mostly) a bunch of morons. Take the film festival indie "this movie takes risks and is so breathtaking in its simplicity!" nonsense and GTFO.

·
AND MABEL
14,011 Posts
I can,t remember the last time I set foot in a movie theater. I think our youngest was 9 now she is married.:surprise::surprise:
That's a shame Daniel. I, like you, hadn't been to a cinema in years until last year when my daughter persuaded me to go to one in Glasgow last year. The cinema had smaller 60 seat screens with really comfortable leather chesterfield type couches, loose cushions, loads of space to stretch out (some now even provide foot stools and private boxes), and the attendants introduced the film and then serve you drinks etc. at your seat, where you also had a small side table to put everything on. The foyer even had a good quality small café. The surround sound system was awesome and no matter where you sat you had an excellent view of the screen.
Films are designed to be seen and heard on the "big screen" and your viewing experience is much enhanced by doing so. I went with my son and his children to see a movie there on Saturday. Watching the expressions on the children's faces was great. They were amazed and totally became totally engrossed in the film. Times have changed and so have cinemas. :smile:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Agreed. I wont see just any movie at the cinema due to home flat screen setups being quality viewing, but when there is one I am especially interested in (Like IT chapter 2 next month!!!!), I enjoy the full experience. We even have a brand new (as of several years ago) drive-in theater in San Marcos that I enjoy going to, when the weather isnt so blasted hot anyway. Almost wish IT was releasing in October because right now it is too hot, but maybe evenings in Sept wont be so bad.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, IT Ch. 2 should be good, but like sappy dog stories, there’ll be no mercy from the critics. 9/6/19. Headed for the David Crosby documentary with my brother on Tuesday, “Remember My Name”. Also on my radar, “Ad Astra” 9/20, “Gemini Man” 10/11 (finally), and “Ford vs Ferrari” on 11/15. Though I’ll probably wait for Terminal’s review of it, first. :grin:

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
If you haven't read the book, I'd recommend it. Haven't seen the movie yet, but intend to. Best I can tell from the trailers and reviews, there is more good car stuff and racing wisdom in the book than in the movie. And the book is well written and hard to put down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts