Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 320 SLK has been running a little rough the last couple of times I've taken it out, a bit gutless when I put my foot down & just not like it should be.

Up comes the bonnet (hood) & I noticed something had been chewing at the sound proofing. Suspecting a mouse had been building nests again under the air filter box, I thought I'd better remove it to see what I can find.

I wasn't expecting this!

The bowl is about 10 inches in diameter & 4 deep. This is what |i took out of one of the air intakes & filter.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
1,491 Posts
o_O

Those so-called performance-enhancing cone filters do have their uses at times .. leaves .. debris .. wildlife ..

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,759 Posts
My 320 SLK has been running a little rough the last couple of times I've taken it out, a bit gutless when I put my foot down & just not like it should be.

Up comes the bonnet (hood) & I noticed something had been chewing at the sound proofing. Suspecting a mouse had been building nests again under the air filter box, I thought I'd better remove it to see what I can find.
@Lee337 - You could always get together with @Robbie4T;)
Hi Lee Looks like our 320s have an affinity for mice. I had a field mouse pop out of the bonnet when I parked at the station recently... Luckily I didn't find a food stash as comprehensive as yours though!!! :LOL: Do you feed birds nearby? If so, I'd move the bird feeder or the car to somewhere else.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bird feeders are around 30 feet away but the nuts are stored in the garage (along with the 320).

All bird food now stored in sealed containers, so hopefully the little rodent will not have reason to stick around. 👍

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,759 Posts
That may be a larger rodent - like a squirrel! That's a huge amount of food for a mouse to shift and store!!

We keep our bird feed in metal tins (like old Celebrations and Roses tins).

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
874 Posts
I parked my E350 wagon in my garage over night a few years back and had a family on the heat sink on top of the engine by noon the next day.
Tomorrow is my bi weekly day to remove the cover and check for wee beasties under my hood.
I have read mixed results re dryer sheets but so far so good.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could have been squirrels as we do have a family regularly visit the garden and maybe they could have got in the filter box. They could easily have got in as I broke a window a while back.May try the drier sheets but not sure if it'll work. My drier is in the garage on a bench & the mouse got in through the vent pipe & ate away at the fluff filter earlier in the year. I've now fitted a metal grill to that, repaired the window, closed the other window and put all the bird feed in plastic tubs.

I know mice could still get in, but if there's no food available, maybe they'll look elsewhere for a nest site.

·
Registered 2008 SLK280
83 Posts
Irish Spring soap works well. I had a problem in my work shop and the soap took care of it. (the cat also helped)

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,428 Posts
I had an Alfa 164 about 10 years ago. I found that a rat had been living in it somewhere. one day while working on it I came out and saw him on top of the engine, got out the BB gun and nailed him in the side. What did the little turd do? He went and died somewhere on my exhaust leaving the smell of dead burning rat with the car for the next month!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts