Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, realy need some help here! A month or so ago I bought a 98 SLK230 with only 46K, beautiful condition, clean had it checked by a local Mercedes dealer and everything is perfect (except that flaking finish on the interior). So today I took the car through a car wash and the passenger side filled up with water! So I suspected the drains were plugged and what I found was a mouse nest under the cover behind the hood. It completely covered the passenger side drain and the water then ran in through an open access point at the top of the bulkhead but not through the fan that I can see.

The front speakers are now not working and I get a loud click (from the front speakers) when I turn the stereo on and the rear speakers are working at a low level. So my first question is has the water killed my amp or radio? If it has an amp (I have the 6 disc changer in the trunk) where is it and how do I get to it to dry it out/inspect it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I believe the rear speakers are more like sub woofers hence the low level. The amp is under the passenger side footwell, could be that it all needs drying out. Lift the carpet and have a look.
See here
http://www.buellwinkle.com/r170/
Look under component location / N40/3 audio power amp

·
Registered
37 Posts
Check the wiring. Mice love to chew the insulation on wires. When I bought my car, a mouse nest was found near the ABS. Chewed the wires just enough to set off the BAS light. Had to have all the ABS wires replaced.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It pretty much sat in a garage for 7 years, ran 300 miles a year for the last 9 years. Thanks to emissions here it's Carfax certified...beautiful car, plus got the pet home from free!

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Good to hear about your success. With that history I'd say that Gummi Pflege is your friend. I'd probably treat the rubber seals all around the roof and doors.

Welcome to the Forum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.