Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions Please. A good friend recently sold me his 98 230 with 7500 miles on the clock. I live in SW Colorado where twisty mountain roads are a main attraction. I'm 71 so I do not pretend to drive this car to its potential, but I don't want to dog it either. So here is my question, should I simply put the car in 3rd in the mountains and keep it between 3 and 4.5 K (RPMs) or would it be better to continually up and down shift.? (there are a lot of hairpins on some roads where it may be necessary to down shift even further) This is a great car and I want to keep it that way. Thanks for your suggestions

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,336 Posts
Carl, you have a 5 speed automatic
IMHO just let it do all the work deciding for you :D

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,748 Posts
I'd try the excellent auto first.

If you want to be harsher just tap the stick (left down, right up- if I remember correctly for the 170).
To get back to auto just tap a few ups.

·
Registered 2013 SLK250
278 Posts
I had a SLK230 for 7 years and I agree with the other posters. Just leave it in auto and it will pull those mountain climbs without even breathing hard.

Twisty mountain roads? That spells fun in a SLK!

Only 7500 miles? What a prize!

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a SLK230 for 7 years and I agree with the other posters. Just leave it in auto and it will pull those mountain climbs without even breathing hard.

Twisty mountain roads? That spells fun in a SLK!

Only 7500 miles? What a prize!
As I said in an earlier post I am new at this forum thing and don't know my way around very well. I want to thank all who offered comments. I agree the auto in the 230 is great. If I leave it in 3rd I can pretty much keep it in the power band. If I leave it in 4th it wants to upshift on the downhill sections. On some of the 10mph hairpins I drop into second on the way out just to get that instant RPM and torque. I'm sure the tranny would downshift properly itself but it did feel a bit sluggish when I didn't manually downshift.

On another note - The twisty mountain road I am talking about is called the "Million Dollar Highway". It runs from Durango to Ouray Colorado. It is a really great drive, approx 80 miles of great views and fun curves, if any of you have the chance to drive it it will be worth your time. Late fall is a great time to drive it as you don't usually have to compete with the Motorhomes.

Thanks again for your responses

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.