Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to visit Mount Rushmore early this summer. We will travel from home base in southeastern Illinois and visit University of Missouri - Columbia (GO TIGERS) along the way......then north to the monument. Would like to do an alternate return route.

Would appreciate anyone who has visited Mt Rushmore pointing out good places to stay/eat along the way.....also any side trips that might be fun.

PS....Super Wifey does not do camping...so that is out!

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Gregg,
You say early this summer so I guess you won't be going to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in August. I have never been, but I do remember an episode of Pawn Stars where the guys traveled there and Rick and Chumley went to see Mt. Rushmore.

Not exactly a model for your trip, but it was amusing.

Enjoy and take lots of pictures.

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought it would be nice to visit my undergrad alma mater and also see something historic and grand like Mt. Rushmore. Super Wifey says we will still do the annual beach pilgrimages and some weekenders.

Gene.....I'm agoraphobic so the wide open spaces appeal to me.....just couldn't do Sturgis (except on TV). :(

There are many beautiful places in the United States I've not yet visited, so Mt. Rushmore will be a pretty neat experience. There's got to be some choice SLK roads in them thar hills! Thanks for the suggestions......please keep them coming!

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
We found Hill City to be pretty central and plenty of accomodations.

Side trips other than Mt Rushmore, of course
Make the night show also

Deadwood

narrow roads between Rushmore and Custer State Park

Custer State Park....find the buffalo

Wind Caves Natl PArk

Badlands Natl PArk

Wall Drug Store (don't miss it)

Short trip to Devils Tower Wyoming -

Steam train Hill City to Keystone

Michelson bike trail (109 miles) if interested

Chief Crazy Horse.....kind of a rip IMO...but the night laser show is great

It is gorgeous country. I am sure there is much more to see

Rick

·
Registered
636 Posts
I rode my harley out to Sturgis i think eight times or so. Rickanns hit most of the common places. I'd like to add Spearfish canyon to the list.

Most of the state parks charge $8.00/$12.00 per person to go through. Crazy Horse accepts donations to continue work on the mountain, but the locals say that they havent worked on that in many years.

There's enough hotels off I-90. It's a wonderful place to ride or drive through.

Sturgis/Rapid City has grown so much that all the typical restaurants, superstores (Sams) sporting good stores (Cabela's) and hotels are minutes apart from each other.

Enjoy,
Dave

·
Hopeless *** owner
102 Posts
We found Hill City to be pretty central and plenty of accomodations.

Side trips other than Mt Rushmore, of course
Make the night show also

Deadwood

narrow roads between Rushmore and Custer State Park

Custer State Park....find the buffalo

Wind Caves Natl PArk

Badlands Natl PArk

Wall Drug Store (don't miss it)

Short trip to Devils Tower Wyoming -

Steam train Hill City to Keystone

Michelson bike trail (109 miles) if interested

Chief Crazy Horse.....kind of a rip IMO...but the night laser show is great

It is gorgeous country. I am sure there is much more to see

Rick
I absolutely agree with Rick on this one!!!

I live in Cheyenne Wyoming which is only about 350 miles from Rushmore and would be very interested in meeting up with your wife and you Gregg to make the trip as well. Would be a great time for sure.
We could take highway 85 north out of Cheyenne up to NewCastle Wyoming and turn East down to Custer South Dakota and catch Rushmore cave! Awesome tour through the cavern.

Dang bro, be sure to shoot me a PM regarding this man. :hail:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts