Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Great and enjoyable video; thanks for posting. A few points, I’d make:

• I’ve always enjoyed Jonny Lieberman’s reviews in print and video
  • Lieberman has extensive experience with the R172 SLK55 and this is now his third review that I’ve seen. Which perhaps speaks to his appreciation of the vehicle and also lends some credibility to his review and judgment in this comparo vs someone spending only a limited time with the car
Here and here.

• I too find the sill location/elbow placement to be awkward. Perhaps it’s a seat position/physical height combination that he and I share.
  • I think most owners would agree with him that the transmission is the AMG’s Achilles heel; although I’ve never considered the braking to be a weak point (but I haven’t driven the V6S).
  • I loved the line “I want the sounds of wastefulness” in reference to the Jag. However, I don’t think he spoke to the dual-character that SLK55 has: both Jekyll or Hyde depending on what you want, which I consider a strength of the Merc.
  • F-type to R172 SLK55 is a tough comparo, since the Merc slots between the Jag V6S and V8S. I might take the V8S over the SLK55 but probably wouldn’t take the V6.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
The deal breaker for me is the roof. SLK55 = hardtop and topless. Jag = Soft top or Coupe only. Also, how did Jag manage to get it to weigh 3800lbs with a soft top?

I still think the R171 SLK55 is the best bet. It's lighter than both, the pre-2008 brakes are brilliant, the acceleration is right in the middle of the two, and you can find good examples for less than half the cost of either new car. It just doesn't have the fancy new interior.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I love the looks of the Jag.. I especially love the F Type Coupe..

Only time will tell if the Jag has better or worse reliability.

Carl B.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd think the jag is pitched against the 911 and the aston martin vantage - the pricing makes sense in that company.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have ran into a few over here in germany. It is not a bad looking car. The older Jags had a 4.2 ltr V8. The newer ones have V6's. The relibility of the older ones were electrical problems under British layland. The later generations tend to be a "I have one car" not a drivers car. Price wise, even in europe the bottom falls out. A Friend bought a XF for around 50k USD (Military sales). It is now worth about 20K....Throwing money away is not smart....a V6 in a F Type...then there are all of the gimicks that comes with it..plus
The Video was made in the US, 78 MPH and here comes the Judge...so they maybe good to make noise.

My SLK 55, I love it. The exhaust is not loud, and it does not come with the loud button gimmick. It is pure power with a hand built motor and a true drivers car. Most people have no idea that satan built my engine.

Every so often, I blow past a Jag or two. They never want to play...prehaps they know better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts