Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Very sobering video. I've seen some pretty crazy driving through canyon roads. A lot of drivers/riders should watch this and think twice.:(

Dramatic GoPro video captures motorcycle crash with Los Angeles County firetruck | abc7.com

At least he lived and is distributing the video so others can learn the easier way.

Note: Video is 19 minutes, but I do recommend watching the full length. Makes for bigger impact when you hear all the comments etc. while the camera is looking up at the sun.

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,745 Posts
This section is for driving stories about one's SLK though.

Driving Stories Politically correct way of saying Kill stories

Moving to the off topic section :D

·
Super Moderator
24,120 Posts
Ouch!

Brought back memories of our 1997 smash in Brittany, France. Why can't the world learn to drive on the left? (joking).

Vehicle Red VFR750 FN two up.
Heading out of Morbihan towards Cherborg with a planned overnight stay mid route.
Sun came out so I dipped my lid to use it as a shade. No worries.
I ride out towards the centre line as taught by several bobbies over the years.
Notice lines are on my left, correct to put them on my right and....
'What the..'
nearlyHeading straight for an oncoming car!!
Managed to avoid the head on but panniers touched side of car!
Two 360 spins whilst upright and crash and burn time.
Look back to see OH close to where the impact was.
She had all her injuries in the left leg and was lucky(?) not to lose it.

Nearly 20 years on and she still has issues. We both drive autos #9she has to and mine is back up for her).

And why?

Because I lost track of being in France (Right hand like you guys in the States) and corrected for UK (Left hand as it should be-still joking)

Been over many times before and only made that mistake when pulling out of services (and spotted before pulling out).

One quick mistake and a whole lifetime to contemplate.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Terrible story.. with a strong message... for everyone..

As far as driving in France is concerned:

With our SLK.. enjoying the open road, if we come across a Brit car, we like to stay well back... or get past it as swiftly (and safely) as possible. >:D

At a service station or shopping centre...we try to take a different Exit..:grin:

·
Super Moderator
24,120 Posts
One thing that I can say from experience is that the French health service is fantastic.

From what I heard at the time, they have the highest debt of any government department in Europe.
They operated on a 'if you need it, you get it' policy.
Heck, even the food was good. Just as well, as we spent nearly four weeks there before Deb could be air ambulanced home.
i'm not decrying our UK services. They have the staff but just need the funding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts