Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love driving my SLK with the top down, but there's nothing freer than riding my motorcycle on a beautiful day like today. You could say that motorcycle fever has officially set in for me. Anyone else have a bike that feels the same way? Here are some pics of my bike.

Attachments

·
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG
40 Posts
I love driving my SLK with the top down, but there's nothing freer than riding my motorcycle on a beautiful day like today. You could say that motorcycle fever has officially set in for me. Anyone else have a bike that feels the same way? Here are some pics of my bike.
Oh, yeah. I've been riding almost 40 years. The reason we got a 2-seater sports car (S2000) was because my wife doesn't handle long distances on 2 wheels. The S2000 was sold yesterday to make room for the SLK 55 that arrived at the dealer yesterday. We both really enjoy the 2-seater, top-down experience, but I won't give up the motorcycles.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
It's been a v-e-r-y l-o-n-g time since I rode a bike, so have no wish to jump on one now. I'd end up as a statistic (old-git, fast bike, fatal RTA). I'll stick to four wheels R)

Besides my other half had a very nasty encounter with a motorbike (made Page 5 of the Sun and local TV).

"Hero Mum rescues baby from blazing car!" was the headline IIRC.

This with three broken bones in her foot, a fractured left wrist and a serious head wound. All caused by a total (uninsured, licence free) idiot on a fast bike (that wasn't his and had no MOT) on a nice day...

She would be very unhappy if I got a bike and as she's my best mate her view counts.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Often fancied the idea of biking but am put off by the idea of having to wear all the protective gear - too many clothes for a naturist! Besides which, I would seriously kill myself (not that you can trivially kill yourself!).

Reactions: LewSLK

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
yeah, the convertible was in some ways the bike substitute...had many bikes, last was a Suzuki GS1000G, great long distance ride, but the wife didnt fancy bikes...she didnt ask me to sell it, but I saw the writing on the wall, esp. after our first child...sigh...do miss it when the weather's nice tho'....

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Protective Gear

Often fancied the idea of biking but am put off by the idea of having to wear all the protective gear - too many clothes for a naturist! Besides which, I would seriously kill myself (not that you can trivially kill yourself!).
Yeah, I wasn't too terribly crazy about the protective gear myself. I was surprised how quickly I acclimated to it though. Most people can used to about anything after a while.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Is that better?
Much! Thanks Woolly.

I'm a bit too young for one of these or is it too poor lol.

Is the GTL short for gentle?

Yesterday, I went to get mine MOT'd (as it was lovely and sunny) and thought I had lost the last MOT certificate as the one I had only went to March 2012.

I checked out with the VOSA when mine expired and to my horror they said March 2012. Whoops, I should get out more.

Test booked for today at 2.00 and guess what, its peeing down right now.

Ride safely

Steve

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
I'm a bit too young for one of these
You say too young, but

a) they're quick.
b) they handle (surprisingly well for a big, 1600, straight 6).
c) they're quick.

For long distance touring (like popping down to Africa for the week) this type of bike can't be beaten. You can get off the bike after 1000-1200 mile days feeling like you've just got on it.

Is the GTL short for gentle?
My previous one was a K1200LT - I'm sure the LT stood for 'Light Truck'. It was equipped better than most cars - cruise control, central locking, electric seats & window, 8 speaker surround sound radio/cd/ipod system, all controlled through buttons on the bars & displayed on the central screen, integrated sat nag, reversing/rear view camera, vanity mirror, electro hydraulic centre stand and reverse!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts