Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this question has been answered some where on here, but I'm asking. I have a 2006 SLK280 ~47k miles and I live in Northern California(Sonoma County) which never really gets that cold. What viscosity and weight oil do I need? I have looked in Owners Manual and it dosnt say. The Mobile One website recommened 0W-40. Any help here would be great!

Also, Has anyone tried the Royal Purple Oil 5w-30? Worth the $$$???
http://royalpurpleconsumer.com/product-categories/automotive/#!hps-motor-oil

·
Founding Member 2006
108,881 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
108,881 Posts
experts will chime in. also there should be a sticker in your engine bay on what to use.

i'd go with the 5w

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK350
2,562 Posts
MB issues approved fluids reports. Jeff's link called 'Motor Oil' to a discussion on oils has a reference to MB's approved oil list in post #7 . That list includes several Mobil 1 oils. It does not include any Royal Purple oils. The writer of that post also points out Mobil 1 0w-40 is readily available here in the US. I buy it at Walmart in five quart jug containers.

Oils not on the MB list may provide the proper lubrication and other benefits of approved oils. But then, maybe they won't.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
1,893 Posts
I'd agree with Jeff. In temperate climates 5W (winter) is certainly low enough in viscosity, and the narrower the range between winter and 'hot', the fewer viscosity modifiers comprise part of the oil, which theoretically means more 'oil', w/w. It could also be argued that more oil sticks to the metal/metal surfaces during frequent warm starts.

·
*Premium
2006 SLK280
1,236 Posts
As long as the packaging says it meets the MB Spec 229.5, go ahead and use it. I would not use anything that does not meet the spec.

As long as it meets the spec, 0W- or 5W- is up to you based on expected temps. I always used 0W-40 in SoCal and I continue to use it in NY.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.