Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With most things about the cars being roughly the same such as year, mileage and condition, would you be willing to exchange your SLK for the AMG version or a Porsche Boxster ?

RobertP

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,745 Posts
AMG 55 of course! Boxster? you joking of course, right?
How can you compare an 8 cylinder 55 with a boxster?

I'm still waiting for you to come to our Florida meets!

·
Registered
191 Posts
My previous car was a 2006 Boxster S. But this is not the place for this comparison so definitely the SLK55:grin:. Just the sound of the AMG engine is enough to be convinced

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
A Porsche Boxster comes with a soft top, right? That is the deal breaker for me right there... never gonna give up a hard top for a ragtop, no way....

·
92,745 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
I promised myself that when I turned 60 years old that I would treat myself and buy a Porsche Boxster S. It was something that I did not need but something that I wanted. My wife however, whilst not trying to deprive me of treating myself had other ideas and said she did not like the thought of a car with a soft top. She said that she had seen a Mercedes which turned out to be an SLK that had a more substantial roof and which she preferred. That said, she got me thinking and just before my 62nd birthday I bought an SLK350. I have to say she was right and the car was a joy and pleasure to own and I am glad that my wife pointed me in the right direction. I now own an SLK55 which was the next step for me. I was sorry to see the SLK350 go and if I had enough space in the garage I would have kept her. The SLK55 was something I also did not need but something I wanted. I have not been disappointed and I am very happy for the 55 to be a keeper.

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
I promised myself that when I turned 60 years old that I would treat myself and buy a Porsche Boxster S. It was something that I did not need but something that I wanted. My wife however, whilst not trying to deprive me of treating myself had other ideas and said she did not like the thought of a car with a soft top. She said that she had seen a Mercedes which turned out to be an SLK that had a more substantial roof and which she preferred. That said, she got me thinking and just before my 62nd birthday I bought an SLK350. I have to say she was right and the car was a joy and pleasure to own and I am glad that my wife pointed me in the right direction. I now own an SLK55 which was the next step for me. I was sorry to see the SLK350 go and if I had enough space in the garage I would have kept her. The SLK55 was something I also did not need but something I wanted. I have not been disappointed and I am very happy for the 55 to be a keeper.
Same thing for me (although I’m a few years younger......sorry :grin:)
I tried a Porsche Boxter and hated it as a road car although it would make a good track car, so I then tried an SLK350 and loved it. when I decided it was going to be my daily driver I went for a 55 and will be keeping it for a long time to come.
:grin:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A Porsche Boxster comes with a soft top, right? That is the deal breaker for me right there... never gonna give up a hard top for a ragtop, no way....
A removable hardtop like the old SL's was available, but if you didn't buy it you didn't get the mounts you'd need later if you wanted to buy one third party, there is also a third party fast back hardtop for it like the glass back corvettes, it also needs the mounts to be there to install it.

RobertP

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AMG 55 of course! Boxster? you joking of course, right?
How can you compare an 8 cylinder 55 with a boxster?

I'm still waiting for you to come to our Florida meets!
Because in what's left of my brain I'm comparing my SLK320 with the Box 2.7 or the
AMG32 and wondering if spending 6-9K to make that trade up is worth it.

RobertP

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Which Colour?

As above a 55 all day.
I looked at a Boxster but I couldn't decide which way it was pointing :grin: I think it was a 2006 model?
Inside it looked like a 1970's Nissan, it had two boots, neither really big enough, the front is of a decent size but deep and narrow.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
You have to get silly to lose them.
As a fellow 320 owner I can honestly say I don't feel inadequate when on runs with the '55s. The characteristics of the cars are different, sure, and the 55s are certainly quicker, but we're not on a race track. On a normal road (in UK, so with lots of bends) I can keep up pretty well.

The biggest weakness I have on the 320 is that the brakes can't stop you as well as those of a 55 - and you don't have the engine braking that the 55s have so you need to think ahead more. You do get better brakes and firmer suspension on the '32 though.

I looked at a Boxster too, but the age I was looking at had reliability problems (IMS bearing failure) and was just not as nice to drive on long distances. My 320 has been pretty reliable since I got it and I've driven a small number of 1,000 and 1,500 mile weekends without any discomfort.

What is making you ask the question?

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
Had an SLK230. A really nice firemist metallic one. Trade??? Always avoid that if at all possible. Sold it to someone who had to have it. 😀
I had looked at a Boxter before I bought the 230. Not even tempted. Bought an Slk32 AMG and had it shipped from Colorado.
It is amber/red (see signature). Hooked on the style, AMG, and the color. 👿👿👿. 👿👿'S Rule!

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Because in what's left of my brain I'm comparing my SLK320 with the Box 2.7 or the
AMG32 and wondering if spending 6-9K to make that trade up is worth it.

RobertP
Hi Robert, pretty intriguing question and one worth debating out loud. Around here, as you'd expect, everyone will say SLK or even better a 55 >:D (you know thyselves...)

But if you are seriously considering these two upgrades and limited on budget, it'd be what your heart truly desires and not what SLKers like us tell you. A Porsche and a SLK are pretty darn good cars... which most people cannot afford. So you probably can't go too wrong whichever decision you make, as long as it is made with your heart's desire.... Good luck and let us know whichever way you ended up.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As a fellow 320 owner I can honestly say I don't feel inadequate when on runs with the '55s. The characteristics of the cars are different, sure, and the 55s are certainly quicker, but we're not on a race track. On a normal road (in UK, so with lots of bends) I can keep up pretty well.

The biggest weakness I have on the 320 is that the brakes can't stop you as well as those of a 55 - and you don't have the engine braking that the 55s have so you need to think ahead more. You do get better brakes and firmer suspension on the '32 though.

I looked at a Boxster too, but the age I was looking at had reliability problems (IMS bearing failure) and was just not as nice to drive on long distances. My 320 has been pretty reliable since I got it and I've driven a small number of 1,000 and 1,500 mile weekends without any discomfort.

What is making you ask the question?
All my roof cylinders leak, never been able to put the roof up or down, ABS BAS ESP SRS lights are on not that I need assistance to drive, Midas messed up my brakes so I get a clunk every time I switch from drive to reverse and back like the pads are a quarter inch too small and move forward or back, brights can't be flashed, cruise control doesn't work, seats are starting to break up and while the covers work well they move because I didn't want to use double sided tape to lock them down, I have a new set of leather seat skins only I can't breaks the bolts free to get the seats out of the car to work on them, the shift insert won't sit level with the bezel, the ashtray door is broken and replacements are impossible to find in burl wood. The first auction is only good for another 24 hours the second a couple of days from now. The AMG32 is only the sports and trim package but 60K sounds a lot better then my 132K which is funny the Poach is also 132K not that hot on the mustard interior but the blue is nice. But hey, on the plus side my SLK has new paint and a new set of halo projector headlamps that look like they could incinerate a love bug at thirty yards. RobertP

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Mercedes-Benz-SLK-Class/153318171113?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Porsche-Boxster-2dr-Roadster-Tiptronic/392204088406?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
An SLK32 is a lot more than just a trim package, unless someone is trying to sell you a posser. A 32 is performance built. Post the Vin# of what you believe is a 32 and have a moderator "run the numbers". Then you will know if it really has 349hp....or more 😉!

·
92,745 Posts
As mentioned, that is a slk 320

here is the vin

General Data
FIN WDB1704651F252203
VIN WDBKK65F92F252203
Model Year 2002
Model SLK 320
Engine 112947 31 131315
Transmission 722618 03 213391
Order Number 0 2 705 65729
Order Location UNITED STATES (USA)
Interior LEATHER ANTHRACITE (211A)
Paint 1 BRILLIANT SILVER METALLIC (744U)
Release Date 2001-09-27
Delivery Date 2001-09-27

231 GARAGE DOOR OPENER
249 INSIDE AND OUTSIDE MIRROR AUTOMATIC DIMMING
254 RADIO MB AUDIO 30 - USA
264 SHIFTING GATE FOR AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
309 CUP HOLDER
349 PREP. FOR EMERGENCY CALL SYSTEM
423 5-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
441 STEERING COLUMN, ADJUSTABLE
461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
494 U.S. VERSION
524 PAINTWORK - PRESERVATION
551 ANTI-THEFT/ANTI-BREAK-IN WARNING SYSTEM
560 ELECTRIC. ADJUSTABLE DRIVER SEAT L. AND R.
634 DELETION - FIRST AID KIT
636 DELETION - WARNING TRIANGLE
668 PACKAGING FOR SHIPPING VEHICLES WITH TIE-DOWN HOOK
669 SPARE WHEEL / FOLDING WHEEL
673 HIGH-CAPACITY BATTERY
734 WOOD DESIGN EUCALYPTUS-RIEGEL INCL. STG.WHL
767 AMG DISK WHEEL 17 INCH WITH MIXED TIRES
772 AMG STYLING PACKAGE-FRONT SPOILER, SIDE SKIRT
802 AEJ 01/1/X
810 SOUND SYSTEM
875 HEATED SCREEN WASH SYSTEM

Mercedes Benz VIN decoded at https://www.datamb.com/vin/JBZY8E09BGP2X1bKm