Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has just been compounded, and the guy only used a sealer and detailer after that.
I've been just using detailer on it every day.
Now if I start using a wax spray or wax, how will that effect the sealer and detailer already on the car?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Probably. What is this "sealer"? Paint needs to breathe; a chemical that prevents it from doing so isn't the best thing to use on a car. I use Griot's Garage products exclusively, and when Sunhilde arrived from California I had no idea what materials had previously been used on her. I used a Griot's citrus-based stripper solution to remove any previous chemistry that was on the car, then clayed, polished, and waxed as usual. Whichever products you use, it's wise to get all of them from the same manufacturer so you'll know that the chemistry is compatible between them. Sunhilde gets a full detail each spring (wash, clay, and wax; she doesn't need polish annually), and with every other wash I apply a spray-on wax before drying the car to refresh the wax surface. In between washes, I use a microfiber car duster and Griot's detailer product, Speed Shine. Works great.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I agree with Beekster, strip it all off and start again going through all the processes, at least you know what you slathered her in.>:D

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yep, their giving the best solution...although I do it the bad way (I use a little dish soap in the water to strip what ever wax is on the car), I've done this for many years with no ill effects on numerous cars...

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the info.
The guy that "sealed" the paint lives next door so I will see him and find out exactly what he put on the paint. I know it was expensive stuff but can't remember the name. I'll get back as soon as I find out,, but stripping the sealer, and wax off to start over won't be a big deal.. It's a small car:smile:
G

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
..... but stripping the sealer, and wax off to start over won't be a big deal.. It's a small car:smile:
G
That's what you think:

it takes me at least 2 hours just to do regular wash (including the rims and its inward facing surface), dry and spray on a quick detailer, check tire pressures, dress the tyres, clean the windshield & mirrors with Invisible Glass, and wipe engine compartment with damp microfiber cloth.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what you think:

it takes me at least 2 hours just to do regular wash (including the rims and its inward facing surface), dry and spray on a quick detailer, check tire pressures, dress the tyres, clean the windshield & mirrors with Invisible Glass, and wipe engine compartment with damp microfiber cloth.
What's 2 hours when you're retired and have nothing else to do.

Next week I have to replace the centre link, do a break job all the way around, polish the new rims and tires, and install tires on car.
So washing ain't nothing baby.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I'm with Eddy. A basic wash & dry takes me an hour. The full exterior detail is as follows: Wash, dry, clay, and waxing the paint; clay, polish, and seal the windshield and back glass; remove, clean, clay and wax the wheels, and dress tires inside and outside. While the wheels are off, wipe down the suspension and fender liners. That takes me about sixteen hours over three days. The interior work: vacuum, clean & condition all leather surfaces, wash rubber floor mats, wipe down interior surfaces, clean the inside surfaces of the windows. That's another three hours or so, usually interspersed with the exterior work (while wax dries, for example). Lubricating the roof seals and latches takes about another hour. Sunhilde's first detail took much longer, since I washed the car twice around with new wash solution in between sessions, then stripped the old chemistry from the car. After the final rinse and drying, I clayed the car twice around to make sure everything embedded had been removed. I then used Griot's Machine Polish #4 to buff out minor scratches, and then applied wax. The extra steps added a good four hours to the process. And then I had three loads of laundry to do during this time to clean all the microfiber cloths I was using for the various steps. I don't wipe the engine compartment, and I don't use Speed Shine detailer after every wash...the Best of Show wax shines up well anyway, and every other wash I refresh it with Griot's Spray-On Wax. Do the math an you can safely assume that I spend the better part of a week on a complete annual detail. Being a kept man allows me to do this.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I glad you said "annually at the end.
As I read I was picturing you doing all that every week,, which would mean the only time you would actually drive the car was from the garage to where you wash it.
I did all that stuff to my 1999 Corvette convert. And showed it all the time, but I was always affeaid of getting the least amount of dirt on it and never really drove it as much as I would if I didn't care what it looked like.
It was an impressive car, and I loved it, but looking back I wish I had driven it more. Not to say you don't drive yours.
My current car will never look that good, but I'm enjoying it more.
I want to die with a dirty car that has 200,000 miles on it.:smile:

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
"Sealed" is probably a polymer glaze. Behaves similar to a wax but longer lasting. Frequently sold with new cars as "paint protection".

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I glad you said "annually at the end.
As I read I was picturing you doing all that every week,, which would mean the only time you would actually drive the car was from the garage to where you wash it.
I did all that stuff to my 1999 Corvette convert. And showed it all the time, but I was always affeaid of getting the least amount of dirt on it and never really drove it as much as I would if I didn't care what it looked like.
It was an impressive car, and I loved it, but looking back I wish I had driven it more. Not to say you don't drive yours.
My current car will never look that good, but I'm enjoying it more.
I'd prefer the car not be dirty, but the 200k is part of the plan. Sunhilde came to me a little over two years ago with just under 90k on the odometer and now has 101k. As you correctly noted, that three or four day ritual is an annual spring cleaning and detail. After that, Sunhilde may go a month without a wash if she doesn't get rained on. She lives in the garage except when she is being driven, and a car duster and Speed Shine keep her spiffy enough between baths. I don't show the car, and in fact the state of her paint isn't as good as her older C230 sibling. That one I've owned since new, and been fastidious about her. Sunhilde's first owner wasn't as careful and it shows.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
be careful what you wish for

Gordo said

".....My current car will never look that good, but I'm enjoying it more.
I want to die with a dirty car that has 200,000 miles on it.:smile:[/QUOTE]

Gordo, my S210 has 178k and some change on her. Buy her from me, and go and cheat on that tense redhead again and your death wish shall come true>:D

I really like that new Aquawax Autoglym have brought out. and their spray on wheel polish. I used that today while remounting the summer wheels and tyres on the S210.

·
Banned
974 Posts

This 'mirror's my routine exactly EVERY time car needs cleaning, & this in wet murky mucky UK.
Because of the latter it gets a monthly pressure hose spray of the wheel arches & a lighter pressured spray under the entire car.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gordo said

".....My current car will never look that good, but I'm enjoying it more.

Gordo, my S210 has 178k and some change on her. Buy her from me, and go and cheat on that tense redhead again and your death wish shall come true>:D

I really like that new Aquawax Autoglym have brought out. and their spray on wheel polish. I used that today while remounting the summer wheels and tyres on the S210.[/QUOTE]

If used while the wheels are on the car,, would there be a chance of getting the spray on the break rotors ?

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
unfortunately yes

especially with those open pattern wheels of yours Gordo. I did while I still had them off the car before mounting.
You might have to do the spray-on-a-cloth technique.:nerd:

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
especially with those open pattern wheels of yours Gordo. I did while I still had them off the car before mounting.
You might have to do the spray-on-a-cloth technique.:nerd:
I will wax them now that I have the wheels and before I put them on the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts