Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on some video review that the car chirped when locking the doors. I can't get mine to do that (I thought ALL cars did this).

Anyway - is there some setting that I need to change to make it chirp?

TIA

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Do you have SmartTop roof module installed? There is a way to do this if SmartTop is installed (see install instructions at mos4cars website).

Otherwise for a 2006, the alarm feature may have to be programmed by DAS to Netherlands, IIRC, in order to get the chirp on lock/unlock feature.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually THINK that I have SmartTop installed (yes I do if that means that I can use my key remote to open/close the roof).

I am not familiar with mos4cars website - is there a URL or link for that?

I tried to PM you about your car, but I don't have 15 posts yet, so I'll state it here. That car that you have in the pic is freakin' awesome. I assume it's yours. That's one of the most beautiful cars that I ever seen. I know it looks similar to my slk350, but I can tell that is one awesome ride.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I actually THINK that I have SmartTop installed (yes I do if that means that I can use my key remote to open/close the roof).
You can operate the roof by remote if you have the premium package. The problem is it's IR and has a range of about 5 feet and you point the remote at the door handle. Go stand 20-30 feet away and try to operate it. If it works, then you DO have a Smart Top installed. Also, the smart top lets you push the button 3 times to open/close. If you have to hold the button down the entire time, then that's another sign that you don't have the smart top.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts

I am not familiar with mos4cars website - is there a URL or link for that?

I tried to PM you about your car, but I don't have 15 posts yet, so I'll state it here. That car that you have in the pic is freakin' awesome. I assume it's yours. That's one of the most beautiful cars that I ever seen. I know it looks similar to my slk350, but I can tell that is one awesome ride.
The website is mods4cars dot com.

SmartTop module is an aftermarket product that one can install in the SLK. If the previous owner installed it, then clicking the lock/unlock button 3 times (roughly 1 second apart) on the remote key will operate the roof. It's also sold by SLKstore at a reasonable price.

If you're operating the roof by pressing and holding the buttons on the remote key (SmartKey) while aiming it at the door handle IR sensor, then it's just the MB option (no SmartTop roof module installed). Check the thread on the SmartTop at the General mods section of the R171.

Say hi to a few newcomers and you would reach the 15 post benchmark and be able to PM.

Thanks for the compliments on the signature photo. It's a 2008 SLK 55, taken at one of the beaches in SoCal in the late afternoon towards dusk. It looks nice because of the way the afternoon sun reflects off the car's paintwork.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I know smart top is loved around here, but I wouldn't say it's a must have for "everyone." I know it's a must have for some.

I will probably do it eventually, but with the weather I'm always so happy when I can finally put the top down that I don't mind holding the remote button, or the inside button a few seconds.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I know smart top is loved around here, but I wouldn't say it's a must have for "everyone." I know it's a must have for some.

I will probably do it eventually, but with the weather I'm always so happy when I can finally put the top down that I don't mind holding the remote button, or the inside button a few seconds.

Well, I can say it's a must have for me - just gotta get back to the UK for more than a week and fit it on my '55!

For me, it's the best single mod I've done - and if you don't have it, you quickly miss it. Even the wife is after me to fit it on the '55, since she doesn't like to wait for the top to go down! :)

If you can get your dealer to code NL, you can get chirp on beep. It also enables the internal motion sensor (IF FITTED) with the top open - no clue why - and potentially restricts your ability to enter destinations on your navi when you are moving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.