Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's what I've discovered so far. Basically nobody has a cold air intake because the stock intake is as good as it gets as far as its placement getting the coolest air possible. I do know that some people have gotten aftermarket filters like the green or K&N. Some have said it produced a slightly more aggressive intake note, others have said there was no difference.

That being the case, does anyone have an idea or 2 of what can be done to pump up the volume a little bit when it comes to the intake? Way back when I had a Lexus is300 and a lot of people on the forums mentioned that you could simply take the lid of the airbox off and keep the filter in place with something like a binder clip. A little hokey, but it was a zero cost modification that produced a nicer more aggressive tone. Could something like that be an option with this car?

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
433 Posts
There's the Needswings dual cold air intake which says it offers less restrictions & is wider diameter than stock. I have one and like it, but I can't really tell you if the intake is much louder than stock ... it's been a while since I installed it, and I have a V8 with headers which makes plenty of noise :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't the later model (facelift) R171 have the sports air box?
Two open tubes to the rear of the airbox
Looking for a used one myself!
Thanks! Did a little reading up on the sports air box and it sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Placed an order from OE Discount Parts for less than $200. Give them a look if that's within your price range. The part number is 273 090 06 01

1 - 5 of 5 Posts