Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from a superb trip from Somerset in UK to see F1 at Monza, Italy.

Did 12 days, highlights included seeing Lewis Hamilton win at Monza, doing alpine passes including a little play on Furka Pass with a Seat Leon FR (I think, only got a close up look in my mirrors for a few corners then he got further away:smile: )

Trip along the Autobahn to see the Mercedes Museum was superb, getting there >:D and the visit. The AMG Factory was closed for the period of our trip, big shame.

Stayed at and looked around Tremezzo, for Lake Como (can really recommend Hotel La Perla, family run 3 star with parking and superb views if anybody is going that way)

We did Weggis for Lake Lucerne, Montreux for Lake Geneva both lakes and surrounding areas were picturesque, we used boat trips to gave us a break from driving.

Another highlight was the mountain train to the top of highest mountain in Europe, Jungfrau Railway picked up from near Interlaken. First stage is on the mountain side, the second through a tunnel to the top of the mountain, amazing that it was dug in early 1900s. Great experience at the top, lack of oxygen makes you feel weird and is expensive, although we thought worth it.

Challenges - driving around Milan getting to and from the hotel to Monza Circuit was interesting! Those Italians are sure passionate drivers :grin: I was a bit concerned about parking at the track after reading comments on other web sites, but found it to be well organised. Problem is Monza track is in the middle of a protected park which has no parking. We arrived to the west of the track, worked out you need to say "parking" to the police blocking access at the roundabouts and they guided you to parking, 20 euros including tickets for a bus in and back. Great atmosphere, better and cheaper than Silverstone!!

As you might expect the car was superb the whole trip and never missed a beat. Just finished cleaning flies and bugs from 6 different countries:laugh:

Anybody thinking of doing a similar trip, as Nike would say Just Do It!!!!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts