Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Yeah, saw a couple of these last trip over that way, along with a Rolls clone that really took a couple of looks to figure out what was wrong!

They say imitation is the greatest sign of flattery! ;-)

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
May be part of learning curve where one starts as being "imitative" to being innovative.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hey, I was going to get one of the SC430 hardtop convertible. But I could not find the roll bars??? And decided against it.

BTW, Lexus discontinued the SC430 and replaced it with the IS series (with roll bars)........but the new version looks nothing like the SC430.

Interestingly the SC430 (for the same model year) retained more residue resale value versus the SLK? At least the ones I looked at.........seemed like the Lexus dealers or even private parties were not willing to deal on price at the time.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I saw some youtube videos on crash testing of the cars made in China. They were horrific!!! The WHOLE car just collapsed and folded from the front to the back with driver and passengers sandwiched in between!!!

Air bags? Well, the air bags acted like some handkerchief placed in front of the crash dummies' face to wipe off their noses!!!

And let's not even talk about the Volvo's automatic crash brake system that FAILED in a world wide demonstration with all the journalist from the globe with their cameras and video cameras ready. They got it all on camera that the Volvo sedan crashed into the back of a semi-trailer parked ahead of it WITHOUT even a hint of slowing down (crashed at full speed!!). The Volvo sedan was supposed to automatically sense the semi-trailer in the front parked and brake on its own and stop the Volvo before it crashed.

This all happened soon after China bought and took over Volvo !!!!

Old saying...........never judge a book by its cover. Look underneath for the real thing!!!

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I don't know about China,but there is a Japanese Rolls lookalike based on the Infiniti. . .

Scary front end. Anybody remember the movie ''The Car''?

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
Yet, the world continues to buy their (China's) crap...I'm just sayin'. :confused:

·
Registered 2008 SLK55 AMG
1,561 Posts
Lets not equate China to Japan.

The Japanese have a rich pedigree in motor racing and in the performance car industry. I know that Japanese cars are called "ricers" over here and they are treated with much derision, but nevertheless they have some thing to be proud about from their auto industry with Honda etc unlike the Chinese at least IMO.

Sadly the world needs Chinese "crap". You may not like it, but in almost everything that is bought in EU/UK, there is a Chinese element. With more and more western economies being dependent on "the city", true production of goods largely happens in China and SE Asia. Labour is cheap, rights are ignored, and hence prices of your telly, Hifi, you name it, remains low.

The world needs cheap chinese goods. So they make it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This is how it started with watches... now adays it's actually IMPOSSIBLE to verify without a doubt that a Cartier is geniune without taking it to a Cartier dealer having it openned and even when it's openned the internal works is so identical that the only difference is they are missing a "Cartier" sign on the internal components..

One day you won't be able to tell the difference with the cars either... I hope that day never comes.

·
Registered
522 Posts
So far one can still tell if the car is "Made in China". It is when one in involved in a serious crash. Without much R&D.........these cars do not "PERFORM" as safely as the European or Japanese or American counterparts.

Although they are trying to catch up with regards to safety...............hopefully sooner than later.

Much of the manufacturing had begun to move to other parts of SE Asia due to the rising costs of labor in China (believe it or not, but it is true).

This is how it started with watches... now adays it's actually IMPOSSIBLE to verify without a doubt that a Cartier is geniune without taking it to a Cartier dealer having it openned and even when it's openned the internal works is so identical that the only difference is they are missing a "Cartier" sign on the internal components..

One day you won't be able to tell the difference with the cars either... I hope that day never comes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Flammable paint adds to the excitement of flying..granted being in a 747 isn't very exciting as compared to a Cessna in rough weather....

There are still quality issues with the knockoff Chinese goods. I have seen several knockoffs that guys have ran on other cars compared to genuine and it was amazing the difference. Welds not finished or it was obvious the voltage was wrong and there was a lot of splatter or burn thru. Mentioned was the crash testing of their vehicles..they scored the lowest ever when they tried to bring some to the states. If I recall the driver had a better chance just diving head first out of the car and surviving than they would staying in the car...

·
Registered
315 Posts
An amazing nation (IMO anyway).

In 2005 they bought a bankrupt British car company & shipped all the manufacturing equipment to China. It took them 2 years to get cars rolling out of the new factory. Quite an achievement, I doubt there's any manuels for assembling car panel presses and such like!

They can't make cars fast enough to keep up with demand there now!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts