Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching [without success] for a model year comparison of features and equipment on the 171 cars. I intend to buy a used car from the 2005 through the 2010 model years and would like to see when what was added to the model. Can you point me to a source? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Model year comparisons

Thank you very much for the link to comparisons of the 170 SLKs. I would like to find similar information about the various iterations of the 171 cars.

Best,
Ben

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:)Personal opinion. If cost wasn't an issue, I'd go with a 2009 SLK 55, then 2007.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:)Personal opinion. If cost wasn't an issue, I'd go with a 2009 SLK 55, then 2007.

Thanks. If it were for my use, I would like the 55 too, though not as much as a Z4 M. My wife however, isn't interested in either. Since the platform is the same from the '05 through the current model year, I am interested in how the equipment loading compares from one to the others. Was there no 2008 55 or is there another reason that you skipped the model year? Thanks.

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,883 Posts
ben721364,

Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and yr) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model and year.
Usercp at the top of page, edit your details, location/vehicle.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider becoming a donating member or make a one-time donation to offset development and operating costs. Even $5 is welcome! Thanks!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bluetooth doesn't interest me in a 2 seat car. I would rather the money be spent on better brakes, shocks, lighting or to add storage capacity.

Are you aware of a source for model year to model year comparisons of 171 cars? Thanks.

One thing to point out is all 2009 and later have Bluetooth factory standard.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I agree with Jeff, jbanks15. Please enter your location. Where you live determines what was available. Welcome to the forum. Duo-Art

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that I have now complied. This site is a bit different and I don't know that I have gotten the hang of it. Please bear with me. Thanks.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
IIRC, the center console storage was changed in model year 2007 and later (2005-2006 had dual chamber that were prone to malfunction, upper lid not closing properly) to have one chamber only.

The brakes on the 55 were changed in model 2008 & onwards to a smaller DNKY version(although some early production 2008 retained the larger brake calipers). Paddle shifters replaced the buttons in model year 2007.

The COMAND changed in model year 2009 and onwards to NTG 2.5

The engine for the 350 was modified to increase HP and torque in the facelift models (2009 and onwards).

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<snip>

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. <snip again>
Is there another discussion sub-forum that is more appropriate than this for questions concerning 171 features from year to year? I have tried to search but without success. Thanks.

·
92,883 Posts
don't take my blurb, literally. notice the big space between the welcome and the 'search' statements. you are doing great! the blurb is standard for newbies. if you searched, then it does not apply. it said, if you haven't. it is just a reminder to search first.

Thanks and welcome again!!!!

·
92,883 Posts
btw, i have had 3 slks. 02 slk320, 05 slk 350 and my current 09 slk 55 amg. The last is the bestest!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your in the right spot for this discussion.

What are you looking for, HP/torque/wt comparisons along with options such as brakes, suspension, lighting, etc.

I am interested in the things you mentioned plus steering (I understand that sometime in the SLK run, the recirculating ball steering was replaced) and anything in the way of trim, standard and optional equipment, etc. I have seen such year to year comparisons in column form for other vehicles and had hoped one was available for the 171 cars.

The long and short of it is that I like to know as much as I can when I go shopping. <g>

Thanks.
B..

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
I understand that sometime in the SLK run, the recirculating ball steering was replaced
It changed from recirc. ball to rack & pinnion when the R171 came out in mid 2004. One other thing to be aware of is the oil consumption problems on very early R171 350s. A search on the forum will give you the engine numbers that might be affected.

Most European manufacturers tend to run on a seven year ish cycle with a facelift in the middle of the production run. There tend not to be 'new year model changes' as you get in the States.

There have been no major changes other than those mentioned previously between the launch R171 in 2004 and the FL in 2008.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I too wish search was easier to use

I know I've posted these countless times, each taking up server space. Sorry Mr. Admin:(

Here are pdf brochures for the '05 and '06 years. Everything you need to know. Sorry I don't have the other years. Hope this helps some!

Besides what etyu mentioned, I believe '07 and later got oil temp added in the multi-function display, cornering headlights, and power folding mirrors.

EDIT: Hey, this one still works! Here's 2008
https://dealerorderingguide.mbusa.com/DOG/PDF/print/DOG2/MY 2008/SLK-Class_my08.pdf

More EDIT: Hey search kinda works. Here's 2007, albeit Canada version, it should help. See post #2 http://www.slkworld.com/amgs/8283-2007-specs.html

Attachments

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
I have been searching [without success] for a model year comparison of features and equipment on the 171 cars. I intend to buy a used car from the 2005 through the 2010 model years and would like to see when what was added to the model. Can you point me to a source? Thanks in advance.
Thanks. If it were for my use, I would like the 55 too, though not as much as a Z4 M. My wife however, isn't interested in either. Since the platform is the same from the '05 through the current model year, I am interested in how the equipment loading compares from one to the others. Was there no 2008 55 or is there another reason that you skipped the model year? Thanks.
:confused:If you intend to purchase a R171 and it's not for your use and your wife isn't interested in either, who is the car for? No enough real difference from 2005-2008 to be concerned with. That's why I'd favor the 2009. With the pending arrival of the R172, I'm waiting to see the newest model and decide.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
All Mercedes cars are "facelifted" about 2/3 through their model life.

"Facelift" of R171 was for model year 2009.

In the case of the R171, it was mostly cosmetic and pretty minor, although sometimes the other cars get upwards of 1000-2000 changes, including significant engineering changes.

Many times the facelift corresponds with introduction of a new engine, but in the case of the SLK350 it's the same engine with hp up from 268 to 300. SLK280 name changed to SLK300, but the same engine, no hp increase.

2009 model year saw significant changes to in-car entertainment/telematics across all models.

Think the SLK got a new steering system with the facelift as well.

Pre- and post-facelift models are not changed year-to-year, except perhaps for paint colors offered. In the case of the M272 V6 engine, however, newer is better for sure, as some "problems" have been corrected with production changes. These would not be "saved" for the next model year.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts