Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for the exact model of transmission trying to get an aftermarket valve body, I am working off my phone so I am not able to find it using the search feature. I have a 2002 slk 32 amg transmission code 722641 02 966136

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,672 Posts
what do you mean exact model? 722.6?
or do u need the part number for it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, loosing my mind, trying to see if Jeep or better yet Chrysler offered this transmission in something other than the crossfire and the slk..... legitstreetcars just posted a shift kit and was truing to find out if it's offered.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hi,

TBH although I've never put a shift kit in a 722.6, (done lots of other shift kits), I have stripped & rebuilt thousands of 722.6's, I'd imagine the Shift Kit would fit most of them, as the differences are very subtle between VB's ;)

Just check with the supplier, I'd be curious to know what they say, what exactly is the differences in the kit, what parts are contained in it etc ;)

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
853 Posts
Hi,

TBH although I've never put a shift kit in a 722.6, (done lots of other shift kits), I have stripped & rebuilt thousands of 722.6's, I'd imagine the Shift Kit would fit most of them, as the differences are very subtle between VB's ;)

Just check with the supplier, I'd be curious to know what they say, what exactly is the differences in the kit, what parts are contained in it etc ;)

HTH,

Cheers Dave

The 722.6 is a Getrag unit no? Would they helpful? They are part of Magna since 2015.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The 722.6 is a Getrag unit no? Would they helpful? They are part of Magna since 2015.
Not AFAIK, I was always led to believe Mercedes designed and built their own Transmissions, where other Marques use Aisin Warner, Borg Waner, GM, ZF etc etc

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
they also come in mid 2000's 300C, Magnum, Charger and I believe a few jeeps. different bell housings of course. also use the same TCU.

pretty much ALL units have similar gear ratios and can be swapped without the computer knowing much different.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hi,

The TCU monitors must be programmed different on the other marques then .......................

If you put a unit with different ratios in an MB Car then it will go into limp mode as soon as it shifts, same as if you fit an EGS52 from a Car with different ratios without re coding it then it will pop a code and limp upon shifting.

TCU compares Input (Turbine) Speed to Output (Propshaft & Road) Speed and if it is not what it should be it pops a "Ratio Error" and goes into limp mode.

Been there done that got the Tee Shirt many many years ago when we first started doing 722.6's at my Auto Transmission firm in England :wink:

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
WOW :rolleyes:

Well !! ................

As Far As I Know ..................

I suppose I should have also added to AFAIK :- Having been a large Automatic Transmission Rebuild company owner for some 27 years odd until I sold up and moved NW

I looked at your Links, the first one gets me nowhere and the second list are all Manual (stick shift) Getrag Transmissions.

Mercedes 722.6 is also notarised via google / wikipedia as fitment to various Chryslers, the NAG1 title is specific to Chrysler Parts

Mercedes are listed as the manufacturer in the link below, and presumably Chrysler who are also listed as a manufacturer build it under licence from MB, hence the New Automatic Gearbox 1 nomenclature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_5G-Tronic_transmission

I rest my case until proven otherwise :grin:

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Looks like Magna supplied a manual transmission for a few older models for Mercedes. the 722.6 is a Mercedes original, an upgrade from the trusty ole 722.4 and 722.3

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Thanks @Turdo2 , that is exactly how I understand it ;)

We started rebuilding Mercedes in the days of 722.2 & .3 (4 bolt pan), then 722.4 (6 bolt pan, 4 Speed Hydraulic with Vac Modulation), then 722.5 (semi electronic version of the 6 bolt pan) then 722.6 (5 speed full electronic) and 722.9's (7 speed full electronic). 722.9 shares a lot of internal parts with 722.6, at which point I sold up the firm.

The guys who are at the Company now are getting into the 9 speeders and 10 speeds as they start filtering through when they get out of Warranty.

The Getrag Manual boxes, such as used in BMW's for a long while, are noted for being very "Torque" tough units.....................

However ..................

Although Getrag, (Magna), are listed as mfrs of "Automatic Transmissions" the ones they actually build, (well all the ones I've ever seen), are basically a Manual Trans Gearset with Automatic Shifting, and some DSG's ...............

Interestingly, these "Auto Manuals" in the UK are noted for being hassle at relatively low miles, and the new "Magma" name seems in the Transmission Industry to be associated with "Exploding Gearboxes" these days :grin:

Think "Volcano" >:D

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hi,

You would also need a correctly coded EGS 52 TCU to go with it :wink:

You have raised a very interesting point to add fuel to the V8 Conversions as well, cheers :smile: ...........................

Can anyone tell me please, what diff ratio is an R170 32 Kompressor running ?

Also can anyone give me a 32 K VIN Number so I can compare p/n's of the V8 Transmission Gearset against a 32 Gearset, it is just possible they may use same 4 pinion Gearset and Ratios ....................

If this should be the case, then a V8 Conversion can possibly use a stock 32's SCN Coding in the EGS 52 , making life even easier >:D

Cheers Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts