Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered--SLK is no more
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions on mixing tyres for better grip?
Eg. Michelin Super Sport on the front and P Zero on the back?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,421 Posts
If it happens it happens. Michelins on rear, continentals on front

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I prefer not to mix brands, but I'll admit that I am somewhat obsessive about that. You never know what odd handling quirks might be induced by different tire construction methods and rubber compounds at opposite ends of the car. Keeping with a single brand, and especially a single model within that brand, ensures that all four tires have the same characteristics.

·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I prefer not to mix brands, but I'll admit that I am somewhat obsessive about that. You never know what odd handling quirks might be induced by different tire construction methods and rubber compounds at opposite ends of the car. Keeping with a single brand, and especially a single model within that brand, ensures that all four tires have the same characteristics.
Hey
Makes sense but if they're all premium brands then should work out?
Uz

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK350
18,914 Posts
I'm set up the same as Jeff and have had no problems with the handling. However I will drive hard, but I do not track it.

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
I wouldn't mix brands across axles but front to back should be fine. On a 4WD car there can be issues with transmission wind-up but not an SLK. It'll be fine.

·
Premium member 2001 SLK320
801 Posts
I seem to have bought the car

wiht a Michelin/Continental mix. It seems fine, but depending on what wears out first, I'll go for a unified approach when replacing them. I am simplistic like that.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Never on the same axle in my opinion. If decent tyres then having different brands front and back will probably go unnoticed by most drivers. My own preference is for the same brand and type/model of tyre all round.

·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys!
I will go for the michelins all around.
Uz

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
I prefer to have the same tyres all around. However, there is no problem with different tread patterns front and rear as long as you don't mix tread patterns on the same axle. For much the same reasons, it is unwise to have significantly different tread depth between the tyres on the same axle.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
I fully agree!
And keep in mind that the SLK has a relatively short distance between the axles which enforces some critical driving behaviours. At my SLK usually the front tyres survive two sets of rear tyres, and then I occasionally change the brand and model.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
718 Posts
I fully agree!
And keep in mind that the SLK has a relatively short distance between the axles which enforces some critical driving behaviours. At my SLK usually the front tyres survive two sets of rear tyres, and then I occasionally change the brand and model.
+1 for the obsessive all tyres the same gang.......
agree

should you mix tires, are you sure you will have more grip in front or in back?? That is one thing I would be careful of. Today, I think good brand tires in the same category will have similar grip, not going to a "Extreme performance" tire in the front and a "Max Performance" in back, could make the rear end a little tail happy (Oversteer) and switching those around, could create understeer.

So what are you looking for.??

·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I ended up changing the P zeros on the back with Continental Sport Contact 5, and while the tyre shop got the front set in, I had the P zeros on the front.... the car was VERY unpredictable. I didnt trust it in the bends.... but now they're the same all around and the grip is fantastic, progressive and generally a much better ride now. Very happy with them.

Fyi, I got the backs done for £240 and the fronts for £250 and tracking for an extra £40 from F1 Euromaster in Coventry.

Thanks for all the help!!

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Well I ended up changing the P zeros on the back with Continental Sport Contact 5,
I have Continental Sport Contact 5s on my SLK. They're a nice tyre with good grip in the wet and dry plus they're pleasantly quiet (something I think is important on a drop-top).

I'll make one warning, though. They are very prone to "going off" in cold weather. All summer tyres will lose some grip when it gets cold, but it is pretty dramatic with the Sport Contact 5s. Be wary of them in road temperatures below about 5 deg C; there will be much less grip there than you expect, even on a dry road.

·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I ended up changing the P zeros on the back with Continental Sport Contact 5,
I have Continental Sport Contact 5s on my SLK. They're a nice tyre with good grip in the wet and dry plus they're pleasantly quiet (something I think is important on a drop-top).

I'll make one warning, though. They are very prone to "going off" in cold weather. All summer tyres will lose some grip when it gets cold, but it is pretty dramatic with the Sport Contact 5s. Be wary of them in road temperatures below about 5 deg C; there will be much less grip there than you expect, even on a dry road.
Thanks for the heads up... it's slowly getting colder in the Midlands so I will be extra careful.... how are they wearing for you?

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Thanks for the heads up... it's slowly getting colder in the Midlands so I will be extra careful.... how are they wearing for you?
Rears do about 9-10k miles. Fronts last longer. I'm on set #3 at the back and #2 at the front but fronts were changed early due to me picking up some side-wall damage from a pothole when they were part-worn. I replaced both fronts at that point so don't have a clear idea of the mileage they're good for.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Glenn is right...my Continental ExtremeContact DWs exhibit similar behavior at low temperatures. That doesn't stop me driving the car on a freezing-but-clear winter day, but I am cognizant of the fact that my summer tires aren't in their preferred element and drive accordingly. Winter tires would transform the car, as they do for my C230 sedan, but the expense isn't worth it for Sunilde since she only comes out in clear, dry weather at that time of year. The C is a daily driver and gets winter tires. Snow isn't common in Portland, but rain at temperatures just above freezing is. The winter rubber compound is much more capable in low temperatures, as you would expect.

·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So torrential rain yesterday in the Midlands and the tyres were amazing. Almost no traction control intervention and the tyres gripped as they would in the dry, and I really threw the car about to test the tyres (within reason ofcourse!)
Thanks all!
Uz

·
Premium member 2001 SLK320
801 Posts
being the adventurous money-saving type

I was going to fit Michelin Crossclimate all round. Except Michelin don't do them in 245/40/17. Ho-hum.
I think I'll swap the Conti Sport Contact 3's on the back to match the Michelin Pilot Sport 3's on the front, which have another 10,000 miles on them to my jaundiced eye. The Contis will be at about 3mm in a month or two, which is where I get itchy and change anyway.

Unless of course, anyone knows of any earth-shattering all-season tyre package I haven't been able to unearth on the interweb>:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.