Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
After a longish daytime drive with only the drls operating, I noticed that the lower part of the headlight was misted up. The dealer said this was normal as the lights were "self-venting" and not sealed units. Is this true?

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,650 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Sounds like a load of old tosh to me.
They're obviously not "self-venting" enough, something that could easily be avoided by adding a couple of tiny extractor fans to the h/lamp units during manufacture.

And yes, the 170s do suffer from this issue. Temporary fix is to take the plastic access guards that protect the rear of the bulbs off so that they can "air" for a while.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Hello.
After a longish daytime drive with only the drls operating, I noticed that the lower part of the headlight was misted up. The dealer said this was normal as the lights were "self-venting" and not sealed units. Is this true?
Common issue on the 172 and slc

170 was resolved with new sealent as it hardened over a period of time and was not doing its job anymore .

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
My R171 never misted once over 7 years/43k miles....

But My Face Lift R172 (SLC) with LED Headlights has misted up now and again since new, even after a long run with the Headlights on... :frown:
Plus seen other R172's with misted up headlights..

Of course the headlights are ventilated or they would explode when hot..!!
But recon there is a cold spot on the corner of the head light unit nearest the centre of the car which attracts any moisture in the headlight unit..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts