Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Yesterday I noticed a stutter/misfire in my '98 230 (MT) at high rpms (~>3,500) but only seems to occur when revving with clutch depressed. It accelerates fine through the gears both under light and high load.

I have a slightly instable idle and occasionaly the s/c clutch engages at idle even if the engine is warm and stays on for no more than 2-5 secs then disengages with a following short drop in idle rpm. No other engine misbehaviour noticed.

I will proceed to check the K40, MAF and spark plugs now - anyone has any other ideas? :confused:

Will appreciate your input, thanks in advance.

Raindog

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:
Just soldered the K40. It was not nearly as bad as the pics in Bazzles sticky on the topic, but quite a few of the solderings were cracked and needed resoldering.

However, it did not solve the misfiring which still remains. I noticed though that it is only there when the car is at a standstill. When at speed, I can depress the clutch and rev the engine beyond the 4,000 rpm where the misfiring otherwise occurs:confused:

Anyone dares a guess at what could possibly cause the described symptoms?

Raindog

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rpm limitation

Ok. Did a more thorough search in past posts and found that the engine has a rev limitation around 4,000 rpm when at standstill. Sorry for not finding this prior to my two previous posts. :(

I must say though that the actual limitation is far from smooth and certainly does not feel intended - It had me fooled thinking that something was wrong.

I guess this is another reminder that these supercharged engines are not intended for high revs. I love it for the low rev torque though and I am happy that what I thought was a problem turned out not to be.

Hats off to these forums and past posts :hail:

Raindog

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.