Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all my slk 230 1997 ran just fine they started to run really lumpy it felt as though I had lost a plug , so I fitted new plugs and new coils new air filter , had look maf senior which looked clean and dry no oil , started all good I thought , did a test drive a couple of splutters then all good did a good 10 mile run , no lack of power and ran fine , set in the car for a while I did notice that it seemed to have a very slight misfire , so today had another run , it's now running like pig , higher revs and lumpy , I had no engine check light and all though my ob2 showed 3 codes when I go to read them it said no codes stored , if you have any ideas as what to do now I would be grateful .

I have ordered new plug leads .

Adrian .

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,440 Posts
Mine had an ever so slight misfire, more when it was warmer out. ended being a leaky head gasket.

how are the cold starts? smooth?

Next time it feels like it's misfiring, try pulling an individual injector wire and find which cylinder has gone "lumpy"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi thanks for the replay I think the problem was on one cylinder as the plug was black I don't think the head gasket is gone as I not lost power or fluid , when driving it like a bad connection or sensor , thinking of cleaning the maf sensor or replacing it .

·
Banned
330 Posts
I'd bet money on a fuel injector. They are simple to check out:

BTW, my BMW was experiencing a misfire on cylinder Two. My scanner reported a misfire on two and a bad injector. Fortunately, I have an extended warranty, so I didn't have to shell out $500 for a repair bill.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all update tested the injectors today all have tested as good , removed maf and cleaned the car now has on power and no boost and running lumpy , I disconnected the maf and it ran better but still no power I have ordered a new maf be with me next week , may have another go at cleaning maf .

till next time have a one .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

Hi all today's update , fitted new plug leads and a new maf sensor did a quick spin around the block , ran ok power was back :smile: pulled in to the drive back to running lumpy :frown: and more unnerving it smelt as though some thing was burning :surprise: , turned it off opened the hood nothing but there was a bit of a petrol smell , I think I may have cooked the catalytic converter maybe but don't know :crying:.
If any one has any good ideas please let me know it's looking like it going to have to go to the garage for some diagnostic work :frown:.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Is the MAF sensor OEM? What about the coil packs? I had a similar issue. My brother put in an aftermarket MAF and coil pack. I put in OEM stuff and it was right as rain after. A lot of the aftermarket stuff is crap.

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,440 Posts
Hi all today's update , fitted new plug leads and a new maf sensor did a quick spin around the block , ran ok power was back :smile: pulled in to the drive back to running lumpy :frown: and more unnerving it smelt as though some thing was burning :surprise: , turned it off opened the hood nothing but there was a bit of a petrol smell , I think I may have cooked the catalytic converter maybe but don't know :crying:.
If any one has any good ideas please let me know it's looking like it going to have to go to the garage for some diagnostic work :frown:.
Running rich?

can we get a video?

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,070 Posts
You need a Quality Diagnostic machine to pull off the codes and fitting cheap Electrical items are not the best choice on these cars .

Always best to fit original parts especially sensors - Electrical items etc
Pattern parts dont seem to last long .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
codes I have from the car now

P0100 mass or volume air flow A circuit malfunction

P0201 cylinder 1 injector circuit malfunction

P0301 cylinder 1 misfire

P0110 IAT sensor 1 circuit malfuntion

It looks as if the injector on number 1 cylinder is giving me the problem although they all sound the same as in youtube video , I am going to remove the injectors and test them , will let you know what I find :nerd:

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG & 2006 Kleemann 55K S8
924 Posts

P0301 cylinder 1 misfire

It looks as if the injector on number 1 cylinder is giving me the problem although they all sound the same as in youtube video , I am going to remove the injectors and test them , will let you know what I find :nerd:
You could always swap 2 injectors and see if the code follows it. If it does, then you have found a problem. MAF and AIT code should have nothing to do with the injector, so you may have multiple issues going on. The AIT sensor could potentially throw the P0100 code. I would look at getting a new AIT sensor right away or checking the wires to it.

·
Banned
84 Posts
I've never been successful cleaning MAFs - always seems to leave a deposit on the sensor. I chased a misfire for long enough and found the MAF had been changed previously for a non OEM one. I fitted a MAF insert made by Pierburg (don't see any point in paying more for a plastic tube!) and the problem was sorted. Pierburg part number 7.22684.09.0

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
another update

update for today removed the injectors and ohms tested them all exactly the same not what I was expected , reinstalled them started the car and it run just fine , when it was up to temperature and still running fine turn it off and scanned the car for codes nothing :surprise: , ok short trip around the block still running fine , scanned again still on codes , ok longer run did about 10 miles or so and still running fine , rescanned still no codes :smile: so it was a bad connection at the injectors or I have the worlds first self repairing car only time with tell , will need to give it a few more runs to see , thanks for your posts will do an update in few days .

·
Banned
330 Posts
Your Injector(s) is Kaput!

P0301 cylinder 1 misfire

The gas you smelled is the injector leaking down into the cylinder. You might have also experienced a backfire? Have you seen any black smoke?

Misfires and bad injectors go together. In a car this old, I'd replace all. BTW, you'll have to code them after installation.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Adrian I thought I would clean my MAF the other day as a routine service. When I put it back the fan was running at slow speed and the car did not feel right. I had two of your codes P0110 and P0100 I think it was, air intake temp and a MAF fault. Upon checking again I had put the 'O' ring in the MAF housing in the wrong place, i,e on the MAF housing instead of inside the correct location position in the air trunking and I had the sensor itself 180deg out of position on the outside instead of toward the centre of the car, I had it towards the outside of the car. I refitted the O ring correctly and position the sensor correctly and now the car is good again.

·
Registered
40 Posts

P0301 cylinder 1 misfire

I had the same problem not to long ago, and it ended up being a clogged cat. I replaced the coil and plug because it's cheap and easy to removed. I could have reused the #1 plug, but again it's cheap. I even cleaned the Maf, but after a few days the same codes comes back. At the time, mine only comes back at a certain rpm under full load, then the ECM would need to be reset to be able to drive the car smooth again.

I know my car has good compression due to previous (headwork) and I'm getting adequate spark, so my #1 injector is what is left to replace and so I did. Same codes came back after triggering it again under full [email protected] about 4500rpm.

You can check if the maf is still ok, with a Digital Muti meter. However, in my case I have a fresh Maf so cross that off the list. I also recently replaced my fuel filter and my F. pump was still running good.

I even replaced my cam & crank sensor, just because it was cheap and it was one of the many things that could cause this. Same codes triggered again. Finally, I tapped my cat converter and noticed that the honeycomb inside was broken in pieces. I could have drilled through my exhaust and whipped out my camera to view the condition of the honey comb , but no need.

Long story short, got a replacement from Magnaflow and never looked back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update

Its been some time and I have driven the a good number of times and everything is still working fine , next is the mot in march , thanks to all for your posts .Y)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.