Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just purchased a 1999 SLK and found my first problem…

Both the driver and passenger side mirrors do not move when I use the controller, I can hear the motors trying to move the mirrors which I hope is a positive sign.

Thanks for reading!

·
Super Moderator
11,034 Posts
Are they jammed to one side as if they had been moved by hand too far? Read somewhere just the other day (but can't find it now) if you push gently on the opposide side it may get them moving again.. BUT I dont remember if it was the folding aspect was stuck or the actual mirror was stuck.

No guarantees here. Just what I think I remember seeing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

However, I was showing my dad and he manually tried positioning the mirrors while I sat in the car, so they have defiantly been moved all over the place by hand at this point.

·
Super Moderator
11,034 Posts
On another (Acura) forum , if it's off centre as you've said, try moving the control up/down/left/right several times. It may find its way :wink:

Its also possible that the mechanism is broken. It's said to be an easy fix (about $100 parts) if that is the problem.

Position sensors?? I am 100% guessing here so my info is worth what you paid for it :grin:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What strikes me as odd is the problem is effecting both mirrors. I know the car was sat for a long time, according to the carfax report it was only driven 200 miles last year!!!

I'll try taking moving the controller a bit longer and if that does not help I'll pop one of the mirrors out and see if there is anything an untrained eye can spot.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
What strikes me as odd is the problem is effecting both mirrors. I know the car was sat for a long time, according to the carfax report it was only driven 200 miles last year!!!

I'll try taking moving the controller a bit longer and if that does not help I'll pop one of the mirrors out and see if there is anything an untrained eye can spot.

If they haven't moved for a year, could be longer than that if the PO had the same issue, the mechanisms could be seized, stuck or just plain old bone dry. Pulling the glass will give you more access but you could try squirting some penetrating oil in behind the glass to see if that helps to free them up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,450 Posts
The plastic gears strip on these, you'll need to remove and disassemble the assembly to check it. Or just set them where you need them and forget them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The plastic gears strip on these, you'll need to remove and disassemble the assembly to check it. Or just set them where you need them and forget them.
I guess I will have to try and disassemble, I'm a bit OCD with getting things working how they should. I tried spraying with some penetrating oil to that did not work.

·
Registered
88 Posts
When I purchased my car the left mirror would not move via switch and the lock would not work with the fob.

To get both working again I had to replace the mirror motor, lock actuator and the controller module located in the door.

The lock actuator replacement was a pain because when the car was built they first placed the actuator on the assembly table then added all the other parts around it.:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not sure if my driver side mirror is heated or also auto-dimming, please can someone help identify? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Think I ordered the wrong driver side mirror. Te one I have installed has additional wires attached to it, while the new one has an ABS Plastic cover where the wire should connect. I fear that I have the auto-dimming glass can anyone confirm? Also does anyone know if I can use this mirror without the car throwing error codes?

Think I found the answer here: https://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/230641-auto-dimming-mirror-problems.html since nobody mentioned any error codes, I think it should be ok to use the glass purchases as I'm not bothered about auto-dimming.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts