Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after wanting to drive over and under the Millau "Sky" Bridge I think I may finally be on my way if France opens up soon. I have booked the 2 day ferry to Spain, a couple of overnight stays on the Mediterranean coast, including Barcelona. Onto Andorra for some altitude in the Pyrenees and then back through France to the Eurotunnel staying in Millau, Bourges, Saint-Quentin possibly pulling in te old French GP track at Reims as usual.
Sky Water Horizon Slope Rectangle

·
Founding Member 2006
109,652 Posts
Can't France get their own bridge design? :D

Sunshine Skyway Bridge, Tampa Bay, Saint Petersburg, Florida

Sky Water Mammal Bridge Cable-stayed bridge

·
*Registered
2006 SLK350
451 Posts
I went over it on a family holiday 8 years ago. Lovely area to visit. Looking forward to updates and photos, especially of the Pyrenees. I am slightly envious 😄

·
**Premium Member 2018 SLC43
4,153 Posts
Have a great Road Trip Russ & fingers crossed France opens up in time (y)
Enjoyed our visit way back in 2013 to Millau and wished We'd scheduled more time for the area..
Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

·
*Registered
2017 SL400
1,456 Posts
Been trying to get there since 2018 but with parents (2) dying, grandkids being born and COVID, our plans for several trips have been scuppered. Hoping that 2022 will be the year. Looks like a great trip.

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK55 AMG
708 Posts
We went there years ago soon after it opened. Went over it from the south, then into Millau town, where you still get a view of the bridge. Then followed the D992 under the bridge all the way round to the (Roquefort-sur-Soulzon, 12250, France) caves at Roquefort, where they make the cheese. Then had a tour around the cheese caves. We thought it was great, but the kids have never forgiven us for not going to the Haribo factory further south !!! I remember there being a good place to park on the D992 just west of the bridge that gives fantastic views! Hope you get away OK, and have a great time!!(y)

·
*Registered
2017 SL400
1,456 Posts
We went there years ago soon after it opened. Went over it from the south, then into Millau town, where you still get a view of the bridge. Then followed the D992 under the bridge all the way round to the (Roquefort-sur-Soulzon, 12250, France) caves at Roquefort, where they make the cheese. Then had a tour around the cheese caves. We thought it was great, but the kids have never forgiven us for not going to the Haribo factory further south !!! I remember there being a good place to park on the D992 just west of the bridge that gives fantastic views! Hope you get away OK, and have a great time!!(y)
There is a Haribo factory here in Castleford (Yorkshire). Perhaps you can take the grandkids. :)

·
*Registered
2010 SLK300
22 Posts
Well after wanting to drive over and under the Millau "Sky" Bridge I think I may finally be on my way if France opens up soon. I have booked the 2 day ferry to Spain, a couple of overnight stays on the Mediterranean coast, including Barcelona. Onto Andorra for some altitude in the Pyrenees and then back through France to the Eurotunnel staying in Millau, Bourges, Saint-Quentin possibly pulling in te old French GP track at Reims as usual. View attachment 608600

Seriously jealous (y)

·
*Registered
2008 SLK280
715 Posts
Can't France get their own bridge design? :D

Sunshine Skyway Bridge, Tampa Bay, Saint Petersburg, Florida

View attachment 608601
In answer to your question Jeff, no they cannot.The bridge was designed by the English architect Baron Foster of Thames Bank aka Norman Foster.

Only driven over it once and the fog in the valley was up to the bridge deck level.

·
*Registered
2011 SLK200
2 Posts
Took my ZZR1200 over the Millau a few years ago with a group of us all on bikes. We were 'making progress' with three figure speeds clocked on the bridge so we didn't see a lot of it until, after a few diverts, we went under it, parked below and had a coffee. Beautiful area, perfect for a jaunt in the new to me SLK which I will do when things return to normality..🙏😉.

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Took my ZZR1200 over the Millau a few years ago with a group of us all on bikes. We were 'making progress' with three figure speeds clocked on the bridge so we didn't see a lot of it until, after a few diverts, we went under it, parked below and had a coffee. Beautiful area, perfect for a jaunt in the new to me SLK which I will do when things return to normality..🙏😉.
A European Alpes tour from a couple of years ago, this is Como. Note the full fairings on all of the bikes. 😎😁
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

1 - 16 of 16 Posts