Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 2005 SLK 350 a week ago and already broke the middle console. It was stuck and I yanked it out, which I shouldn’t have done.
Is there any quick fix for this or an estimate or somewhere I can buy the replacement part? Thank you, extremely bummed.

·
Founding Member 2006
109,652 Posts
usually the whole console needs to be replaced
so you broke the center console glovebox?

·
Founding Member 2006
109,652 Posts

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
usually the whole console needs to be replaced
so you broke the center console glovebox?
Yes, the center console won’t close correctly now… thank you for that video. I will check it out. Even after I get it fixed, does anyone have trouble with opening the center console? Mine seems to get jammed really often and is hard to open

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,380 Posts
Those things are the bane of R171 owners everywhere. You are not alone. Depending on how you manhandled it, it can probably be resurrected, but you'll have to learn how to live with it thereafter. Just try to get it back into position and close it with a little pushing.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The buttons on both sides of the top part of the console are stuck pressed in. Is there a way to unstick them without replacing the whole lid?

The part that also opens straight up also keeps getting stuck and very difficult to pull out. Is there an lubricant or anything that we can do to make the open of that compartment easier? I don’t want to have to open it with force if I can help it…

·
Administrator (Canada)
20,932 Posts
Although I don't know if it's electrical (does it lock when the doors are locked?) but you might consider (after getting it opened) using an electrical-type spray cleaner like de-oxit.
Liquid Fluid Drink Personal care Gas

Spray/work buttons/spray/work buttons. Don't use something like wd40 as once the carrier evaporates, the resulting solids attract more gunk.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Although I don't know if it's electrical (does it lock when the doors are locked?) but you might consider (after getting it opened) using an electrical-type spray cleaner like de-oxit.
View attachment 608582

Spray/work buttons/spray/work buttons. Don't use something like wd40 as once the carrier evaporates, the resulting solids attract more gunk.
Thank you for that tip, I will try that once I get the buttons fixed! There is an electrical compartment in the center console, that may be what it is for! I’ll try it out once it is fixed.

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
38,660 Posts
Be very careful with electrical cleaners.
Some act as a welding device on certain plastics.
Always test somewhere first and allow to thoroughly dry before closing.

Don't ask me how I found out.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,380 Posts
It's hard to say exactly how to get your side buttons back to normal, try just re-assembling the thing by hand as best you can and without breaking anything, press the hinge back together on one side, then on the other side.

For both of my 2005's, I've been through all the TSB's and tried all the recommended fixes, none helped - the only way I can get the large compartment open is to give it a little downward slap on it's aft end and then it will open.

·
Administrator (Canada)
20,932 Posts

You need to know the components of whatever cleaner you use but:
Colorfulness Rectangle Font Slope Parallel

Good point Myk and hadn't considered that (when I used to "clean" my seatbelt/abs activator button) even though that was the recommended solution.

That caution can be found here
  • Plastic / rubber compatibility – While the contact surfaces of connectors are metal, they are often housed in plastic, along with rubber gaskets to seal everything from the outside environment. If the solvent used in a contact cleaner is incompatible with the plastic, it can craze (create small cracks), embrittle, or soften the material. Rubber seals may swell, shrink or even dissolve if exposed to a harsh solvent. A new contact cleaner should always be tested before being used extensively on your new (and expensive) equipment.

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
38,660 Posts
I recall one member using a Dremmel to carefully trim the mechanism.
Must have had the patience of a saint and hands of a surgeon.
Long while back.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

When you say that they act as a welding device, do you mean they make them more stuck or the chemicals breakdown the plastic?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts