Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Hi All,

Is anyone running a 170 (2000) 230 Kompressor on Mitchelin tyres on 16" wheels? although larger wheel experience would also be helpful

would appreciate learning how you rate them and the actual tyre size, pressures used, etc. and is the ride softer?

I'm currently running on Pirelli Tyres and find the ride quite hard and a lot of tram lining, so I'm thinking of going to Mitchelin.

Would appreciate any help and advice.

Regards

Dave

·
Registered
274 Posts
mine had Michelins on the front and avons on the rear on 16 inch wheels when I bought it and it was fine miles better than wife's z3 that tramlines like mad on its 18,s.i have now got 17 inch amg wheels with maxxis on and still not bad at tramlining but the lower profile is noticeable in the harder ride I certainly wouldn't go to 18,s with lower profile tyres

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have Uniroyal (owned by Michelin) GTZ Touring on my 320, also have the standard Touring on my Volvo V70 and the E320 Bluetec. Great tires at good price compared to Michelin branded tires. Don't know if they are available in the UK.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your responses, seems that either Uniroyal or Michelin are my best bet, so roll on next payday, will let you know how I get on in due course, do appreciate you help.
Regards
Dave

·
Registered 2000 SLK320/2009 SLK350
23 Posts
Michelins Primacy

I use to own a 2.5 V6 Vectra fitted with Michelin Primacy the predecessor to the Primacy HP were the best tyres I have ever had on a car excellent in both wet and dry conditions and that lasted well too. But I also have say I’ve been impressed with the 195/45/16 Uniroyal Rainsport 2 tyres I had to my wifes little Corsa SRi.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My 320 had 225 Pirelli's on 17's on the front. Was never happy with the handling, wandering and tram lining. Had 4 wheel alignment done, front suspension checked twice and replaced the steering damper with little effect. Was told that the front tyres were nearly 9 years old and could have deteriorated. Although they still had plenty of tread I replaced them with Michelins. What a transformation, no more tram lining or wandering, precise handling and a quieter ride!

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
Have you given any hought to Continental tires? I put some on my '01 SLK and love them. They don't spin on takeoff like the old Sumitomos and Yokohamas did. They stick like glue in the corners and they are almost impossible to lock up under braking. They are also incredible in the wet. Driving in the rain used to scare me and I don't scare easily; even on wet roads it is difficult to get the ABS to chatter. The only disadvantage is they are reportedly short lived with most getting about 20 -25K miles instead of 40-65K miles on most others. To me, it is well worth it to have the performance of this tire. I hate sliding through intersections.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi All, Finally fitted Michelin Primacy HP to front and what a difference they make! No more tram lining grip road well and very quite. Unable to obtain them for the rear until sometime in August, but really looking forward to getting them.
Dave

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
1,961 Posts
Have you given any hought to Continental tires? I put some on my '01 SLK and love them. They don't spin on takeoff like the old Sumitomos and Yokohamas did. They stick like glue in the corners and they are almost impossible to lock up under braking. They are also incredible in the wet. Driving in the rain used to scare me and I don't scare easily; even on wet roads it is difficult to get the ABS to chatter. The only disadvantage is they are reportedly short lived with most getting about 20 -25K miles instead of 40-65K miles on most others. To me, it is well worth it to have the performance of this tire. I hate sliding through intersections.

I'll 2nd that :tu:

·
Registered 2006 SLK350 sold/now 2018 SL400
298 Posts
I had falcon F453s on my 2000 230 and found them to tramline badly. I went for the non-staggered 16" wheels with Goodyear vector 4 seasons and was delighted with them.
I have contisport 5s on my 350 which I rate also.
Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.