Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some new tires for my 55 and I came across these new ones by Michelin in my reasearch. Do any of you have any experience with these? Also, will a size 245 40 fit my rear wheels? I have the performance package with 18 inch AMG wheels.

Thanks!
Sway

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,160 Posts
I have michelin pilot super sport 255/35zr18xl on my 55

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
I've heard a lot of good reviews about them and it'll probably be my next set of tires for my Porsche.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, I'll go with the 255 35 for the rears...Should I stick with the 225 40 for the front?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any followup reviews on the Pilot Super Sports? It's time to replace my rear tires -- Continental DW with just under 15k miles on them. The reviews from TireRack and other sources suggest the Pilots are the better choice for spirited driving. But haven't read anything specific to an SLK55. Thanks!

PS - Currently running 255/35-18 on rear. Wondering if anyone has run identical tires of both this size and the stock 245/35-18 size to offer opinions on changes in traction, treadwear, steering response, tramlining/hydroplaning, and fuel economy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Piot Super Sports

I have 265/30 and 235/35 19's on my AMG55 and love the way they ride, feel, and handle.

I can tell you they are more quiet than the Hankooks I had, or the Pireilis or BF Goodrich's on my two friends SLK55's

There is also a big difference in how often and how long the "little yellow light" is on....

My only concern wth them is that I intend to drive them "year-round" so I will have to wait and see how they do in colder weather.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I have a set of 4 with 18" AMG wheels and I'm really enjoying them.
I don't have much to compare them to (some Falkens that were terrible IMO), but they are acceptably quiet and the grip is excellent.

I used 255s for the rear wheels.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. I went ahead and scheduled an appointment to get the Super Sports. Hope having DWs on the front for another 6 months or so isn't going to have a noticeable effect.

Yeah, that yellow light does flash too often. Good to hear this might mitigate it some. As for winter driving, got an SUV for that. But that's a brave thing to do in Ohio, hope you don't have any issues with it.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. I went ahead and scheduled an appointment to get the Super Sports. Hope having DWs on the front for another 6 months or so isn't going to have a noticeable effect.

Yeah, that yellow light does flash too often. Good to hear this might mitigate it some. As for winter driving, got an SUV for that. But that's a brave thing to do in Ohio, hope you don't have any issues with it.
Let us know what you think about the comparison.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Well I've put 5000 miles on my SuperSports since my 20,000 mile service ... I've got to say they're the sheep's kibble. I've roto-rootered (driven the crap out of) the tires and they make the car feel like they're on rails

1 - 12 of 12 Posts