Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now have about 2000 miles on the Michelin Pilot Super Sport XLs so I thought a report was in order. Overall I'm very satisfied with these tires. They make much less road noise and and run more smoothly than the Conti CS3s they replaced. Traction during spirited driving seems just as good as the CS3s.

General cruising about town is definitely more pleasurable with the Michelins. It's subjective, but they feel more substantial and refined than do the Conti's. Strangely enough, that is exactly what the Tire Rack sales rep said I would experience. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport XL are more expensive, but well worth the cost.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK280
3,899 Posts
Hi Gregg, thank you for the personal observations. I replaced my tires with Pirelli PZeros (which were more expensive than some of the other brands) when I first bought the car. They handle well, look great, have a great tread wear warranty, but seem to be a bit noisy (of course I have no comparison). Thanks again.

·
Just a regular guy
1,180 Posts
My Hankook V12's are worn out with 12000 on the clock.The Super Sports were high on the list. I think I may have just been pushed over the edge. Thanks for the report!

The Hankooks show rather significant "inner tire " wear on both backs. I am reading this is normal, can someone elaborate? And should I go after a 4 wheel alignment prior to installing the new skins ? or is the 12000 to be expected as well as that inner tire wear?

·
Just a regular guy
1,180 Posts
Is that the consensus.....12000 on the clock is expected.....so is the camber wear? If so, I'll order new skins , smile and move on. If this is true, I wont waste the money on a 4 wheel alignment. Alignment or no?

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK280
3,899 Posts
IMHO if the car is not pulling left or right and the front tires show no unusual wear I would forgo the alignment. The rear tires will always wear on the inside track due to the camber angle designed into the vehicle (you will see it more pronounced when traveling behind a Beemer). Early tire wear seems to be the price we pay for our cool rides.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Now have about 2000 miles on the Michelin Pilot Super Sport XLs so I thought a report was in order. Overall I'm very satisfied with these tires. They make much less road noise and and run more smoothly than the Conti CS3s they replaced. Traction during spirited driving seems just as good as the CS3s.

General cruising about town is definitely more pleasurable with the Michelins. It's subjective, but they feel more substantial and refined than do the Conti's. Strangely enough, that is exactly what the Tire Rack sales rep said I would experience. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport XL are more expensive, but well worth the cost.
I had a set of Pilot SS on a Crossfire SRT6 for about 2,000 miles before I sold it. They replaced Dunlop Sport Maxx TT's which were an entirely unimpressive tire. The Pilots were quieter with much better dry grip and very good grip in the wet. They seemed to be as good as Tire Rack says.

At the moment, I'm patiently waiting for the Pirelli P Zeros on my SLK55 to wear out so I can get the Pilot SS on this car.

·
Just a regular guy
1,180 Posts
Thanks Michael, over the last three years me and the Hankooks have made three summer blasts to Chicago - Indy, so they have lead a "goodlife" thanks again. Super sports it is.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I have had Hankook Ventus V12s all around. I get about 10000 miles on the rears and there is a very uniform wear. Compared to GY Eagle F1s, they are a match for almost everything. Excellent value for money.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Thank you for the report. I am in need of new tires as the car I bought had Fierce Instinct ZR tires on it and the rears are down to the wear bar on the insides. The front have plenty of tread left though I see a cut on the sidewall of the front right. I don't want that blowing out on me so might as well replace them all with a good set.

·
Fanatical Member
3,419 Posts
I just replaced my original tires with the Pilot Super Sports and am enjoying the handling very much. My car came equipped with the PZeros and I only got 12K on the rears. I am hoping for a little longer wear on the Michelins.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
IMHO if the car is not pulling left or right and the front tires show no unusual wear I would forgo the alignment. The rear tires will always wear on the inside track due to the camber angle designed into the vehicle (you will see it more pronounced when traveling behind a Beemer). Early tire wear seems to be the price we pay for our cool rides.
I always wanted to know why is that? Why does rear camber on our SLKs is designed to wear the inside of the tire? It's like an inverted "V" shape...

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,339 Posts
Four wheel alignment is good to do when getting new tires. The rear camber is not changeable but toe is changeable. Summer performance tires wear out much faster than all season performance. You can get around twice the miles.

·
Registered Looking for an SLK
597 Posts
I bought my car last November and it has Pirelli P7 on it which I find very noisey and skittish in the wet (amazing when its dry). I recently found the bill of sale for the tyres and am amazed to see they were put on in august 2010 when the car had 62 thou on the clock. I now have 91 thou on the clock (7 thou ive put on since I bought it) the tyres still have plenty of tread left so I thought it must have had a new set since that bill of sale. The thing is while in a supermarket car park last week a couple came up to me saying they were the last owners of the car and told me they put the Pirelli's on in 2010 I find it amazing that these tyres have done nearly 30 thousand miles and still going strong even tho I dont like them.
Dave

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Gmon, when I first bought our 06 I had the alignment checked (the car was wearing Rikens - a Michelin sub-brand from what I've learned - and horribly noisy) at an MB dealer, and the cost was nominal....so that might be a first step (see if it's in spec).

Camber improves stability under cornering conditions - the car, due to inertia, wants to throw out the back end as well as rolling towards the out side of the turn, due to the camber the outside tire actually stands more upright increasing the contact patch and traction.

The toe in increases understeer, which for most of us is "safer" in cornering. If you decrease toe in the car will become a bit "loser" and in the case of the rear end will be more prone to breaking free (ie losing traction and beginning to skid).

I doubt any adjustments we're likely to make would dramatically improve tire wear.

Happy to hear someone else's views on this, or my comments.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts