Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the Yokohama Avid Envigor tires with the Michelin. The Yokohama are pretty new, but I had a shimmy in the car that was eliminated by the Michelin tires.

A/S 3 --- highly recommended.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am a pretty conservative driver. I did have the shimmy problem so I thought new tires might be the fix. I wasn't convinced I would buy them until an MB mechanic drove the car to check out the shimmy. He asked me what kind of tires I had on the car. I told him they were Yokohamas and asked him why he wanted to know. He said they were very noisy. I asked him what he would recommend and he said Pilot Sport A/S 3's since they were having good customer feedback on the tires. Based on that I started researching new tires. Since I live in FL I considered summer only tires. I did a lot of reading, both on Tire Rack and Consumer Reports. What I discovered was that the many of the reviews of the A/S 3 said it actually performed as well or better than warm weather tires. I had them installed and noted a few things right away.

-the shimmy disappeared
-the car feels a more planted in the front end
-the ride is better. It is better over rough surfaces.
- road noise is considerable less than the Yokohamas
-the car seems to track a bit better
- I have not checked the mileage, but I am guessing it will be as good or better than the Yokohamas. On a long trip I have gotten a bit over 31 mpg on the Yokohamas.

CR rates the A/S 3 at the top of the list of Ultra High Performance A/S tires. The Avid Envigor is near the bottom of the ratings. The composite score for the A/S 3 is 76/100 and the Avid Envigor is 52/100.

The total installed/warranty cost at Sam's Club was a bit over $800. In my case that was money well spent.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts