Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have just started commuting in my R170 SLK 230K and I have a question, that may be stupid, but what the heck!

I have a smell in the cab which smells metallic, possibly a slight hint of battery acid, which gets into my nose and stays all weekend!! It may be the smell of other cars, but I think it's coming from my SLK.

Does anyone have any experience of this? 1. Is it killing me slowly? 2. Is the car dying? 3. Should I be worried? 4. Any idea how to stop it please?

Any helpful responses will be much appreciated.

BTW: It's far too cold to open the roof (or windows), which I'm sure would resolve the issue in the short term.

Many thanks in advance...

Moggins

:nerd:

·
Founding Member 2006
108,971 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jeff, I hope you are keeping well.

Many thanks for the link, but I have looked around the site and "my smell" seems different to the others.

The smell is like the smell of a very old dynamo, or could be metallic sulphuric acid like from the battery. Under the bonnet (hood), I can't smell a thing. Switching the cabin air circulation on stops the smell, so it is coming in from 'outside'. I am doing a lot of travelling in slow/stop/start traffic - for the first time!

I changed all filters,except the transmission, last year. The aircon was topped up last year and the smell is not "crayons".

I recently had to change the secondary air switch after a P0410 error, but I'm sure that is not the issue. (The site was VERY helpful)

Oh, and I have not subsequently had a heart attack or stroke, which can be preceeded by a metallic smell/taste. So I have ruled that out too.

I'm sure that one of our members will have the answer!! They are all such nice folk.

Regards
Moggins

·
Founding Member 2006
108,971 Posts
I be well as I hope you are. And you said you changed the cabin filter?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,971 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
108,971 Posts
True that also, but he has a r170 and i think the crayon smell was the r171 :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.