Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I accidentally applied too much touch up paint on my car hood, I tried to remove it immediately by a microfiber towel but ended up making it worse, which leaved a extremely thin layer of paint around that area. Will a paint correction do the job and resolve this problem?:(

Found a reputable car detailing shop offer a 29-stage paint correction/polish service, hope this help.:(

Thanks for everyone's opinion:tu:

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
I see a few swirls in your finish so a good detail will probably make a huge difference in the overall appearance of your car. As far as the touch up paint goes, probably nothing more than a good compound followed with a wax will do the trick. Mind you I'm no expert but I have found rubbing compound corrects a lot of little things on the finish.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I'm going to try the Blob Eliminator by Langka to see if I can remove the excessive touch up paint,
found a old thread from etyu concerning the same product,
will give it a try prior doing the paint correction, since the shop is 125 miles away:(

Saw many good reviews on this product, hopefully it can arrive early.
I'll post some pictures for the whole process in case other forum member might encounter the same issue:tu:

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I'd give some TLC with a bit of rubbing compound as Steven suggested as a first step - cheap and pretty easy, just take your time and go a bit at a time...

·
Registered
449 Posts
You can clean it with solvent i don't how you call it (tiner) or the one your wife uses to clean her nail polish (nail polish remover), take a soft cotton and put on a little solvent and gently wipe the surface where the exeed layer of paint is.
Regards Greg

·
Registered
40 Posts
wipe it off with laquer thinner use a rag that been washed new rags can bleed color and stain for fixing the spot right it needs paintbulled. theres a couple neutralizing steps between chemicals but really its easy and 29 steps from your detail shop is some b.s. that many steps of anything would wear the paint off

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I'd forgotten about Langka! I know a few people in other forums who've used it and were very pleased with the results. I just ordered the repair kit, so I'll give a report/review with before/after pics.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I'd forgotten about Langka! I know a few people in other forums who've used it and were very pleased with the results. I just ordered the repair kit, so I'll give a report/review with before/after pics.

Please do Galo - I've tried the Dr Colorchip, and was pretty pleased with the results. I think Steven (Stinger) was going to try it on some vertical surfaces as well - I only did chips on my hood...

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
My only real problem will be my earlier attempts at "filling" the scratches and "pot holes"; I put on just a bit too much t-u paint, and the Langka site states the process may not be able to totally correct this. I guess I'll find out soon enough!

·
3,419 Posts
Please do Galo - I've tried the Dr Colorchip, and was pretty pleased with the results. I think Steven (Stinger) was going to try it on some vertical surfaces as well - I only did chips on my hood...
Sorry guys, haven't got around to it yet. Off tomorrow, and it's father's day so maybe I can get to it then. Next opportunity will be Friday, 06/16. If I can't tackle it all, maybe I can do a little to see how it comes out.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Sorry guys, haven't got around to it yet. Off tomorrow, and it's father's day so maybe I can get to it then. Next opportunity will be Friday, 06/16. If I can't tackle it all, maybe I can do a little to see how it comes out.

No worries, and no rush - key seems to be to take your time, so probably better to "plan" to have a couple of hours to play!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,379 Posts
Great to hear!!!! car looking great again!

·
3,419 Posts
I will try the Dr.Color but this could be a good alternative. I watched their video on their website and it says nothing about clear coat applications after the paint application. I wonder if you eliminate the clear coat all together or apply the clear coat after the paint and then use the blob eliminator?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will try the Dr.Color but this could be a good alternative. I watched their video on their website and it says nothing about clear coat applications after the paint application. I wonder if you eliminate the clear coat all together or apply the clear coat after the paint and then use the blob eliminator?
I just paint it with OEM touch up paint and wait for 30mins, then apply the blob eliminator! :tu:

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Steven et.al.,
I had the same question. I love the results in the picture, but as the M-B touch up paint comes with the clearcoat I was wondering whether a second round with the clearcoat would result in a more durable repair? Or should I leave a depression after applying the paint and then go for the flat surface match with the clearcoat?

Let me know how the Dr. ColorChip works out. I think John started a thread on it a few weeks back. Does it address the clearcoat issue?

Regardless - I'm thinking that for $30 this is a great option. I am starting to get a lot of paint chips on the front of my car and while I have the official M-B Code 950U touch up paint - I haven't used it on the hood because of the blob issue.

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,935 Posts
Hmm, that's some impressive results with the Langka. I'll have to get one of those and try that technique of overblobbing and then removing the excess with this stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I received my Langka Paint Chip Repair Kit today!!! They shipped it Monday, USPS Priority; 1 day in transit...thank you former employer :tu::tu: I will probably do this this weekend, so I'll have pics posted as soon as I can.

As for clear coat, this from the Langka web site;
"
1. The Two Step Method: After following Steps 1,2,3 above you may clear coat the repair if desired. Clear coat applications requires a microbrush . Simply dip the brush into the clear coat solution and wipe the brush on the inside of the container to remove excess clear coat from the brush. You are only trying to "surgically" apply a very light coat to restore the shine and provide UV protection to the larger repaired areas. You do not want to apply a blob of clear coat. (IF you apply a blob, you can remove the blob of clear coat with LANKGA...but it is best to be as "surgical" as possible). You may want to have your kids do this...better eyesight and all. TIP: rest your hand on the vehicle to stabilize your hand during this application.​

2. Another more popular method for using clear coat is this: Mix the paint and clear coat in a 1:1 ratio (using a paper ketchup cup from a local fast-food restaurant for mixing in). Apply as directed. Allow to dry, then remove the excess "mixture" if necessary with The Blob Eliminator."

Now we know!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.