I like "smaller/lighter"…but not as small as a Miata

The devil is in the details:
Make it weight less than 2600lbs {450lbs less than the SLK}
Retractable HT for sure
Give it a 2.0L Tubo DOHC with 250+HP
Price it - delivered at less than $50K
Match Kia/Hyundai Warranties
Redesign the front end.. uck..

I could see something with real performance finding a market here..
Carl B.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
I can't see what gap merc would be filling, given the starting price and dimensions of the slk. Who isn't buying an slk because it's too big?

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
They got little baby legs
That stand so low
You got to pick em up
Just to say hello
They got little cars
That go beep, beep, beep
They got little voices
Goin' peep, peep, peep

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
373 Posts
Looks to me like it could be a real blast to drive and from the 2000 concept car, could be pretty cool.

However, despite being initially impressed with the pictures of the CLA and GLA, I was very disappointed when I looked closely at those at an auto show. I suspect an SLA will suffer the same corner cutting. But if they do come out with one, I will look closely and seriously consider it if they don't make those same mistakes.

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
373 Posts
Also, I have to admit that over time, my tastes adjust.

When the R170 first came out, I didn't like it. Fifteen years later, I like it. Of course, I still like my R171 better.:burnout:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I think that's the ugliest thing I've ever seen =(
Besides, what can be smaller than SLK???

·
Registered
351 Posts
Nonetheless, it is interesting to look back at a Concept Car from 2000 - and find what styling cues found their way into later production cars. Looks like at least part of the hood and front end from 2000 - made its way onto the R171. It would also be interesting to see what the M/B designers would come up with today.

Then too - - could be an SLA would be a future replacement for the SLK. While not too much smaller, it could be produced a bit lighter. The Madza Miata weights in at 2445 lbs.

Carl B.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts