Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered Looking for an SLK
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keep reading on here and other places people saying how bad the sound system is in the SLK 171. Ive just got a 2005 with a NGT1 command and find it very good once you adjust the treble and bass cant see why people say its rubbish. By the way im a sound engineer so do know what im talking about. I admit the features on my one are a bit old hat now but quality of sound is very good the only system ive heard better was in my 2002 Volvo S80 which for a stock system was unbelievable.

Dave

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,470 Posts
I agree with the above. I'm a bit of a tweeter head myself and I think the system in the car is very good.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I too, am actually very satisfied with the stock stereo set-up. Unless a speaker decides to surrender, I just plan to leave it as is.

Now, the only issue with mine - cleaning the buttons that adjust +/- of the treble and bass. Previous owner actually used the cup holders, which lead to probably soda or cafe mocha dripping into the buttons. So, when I go to adjust the sound, I get all or nothing since the buttons stick!!! :(

·
Registered Looking for an SLK
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I too, am actually very satisfied with the stock stereo set-up. Unless a speaker decides to surrender, I just plan to leave it as is.

Now, the only issue with mine - cleaning the buttons that adjust +/- of the treble and bass. Previous owner actually used the cup holders, which lead to probably soda or cafe mocha dripping into the buttons. So, when I go to adjust the sound, I get all or nothing since the buttons stick!!! :(
Im lucky mine has not got the cup holder fitted so no sticky buttons

Dave

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,745 Posts

The whole front can be removed and cleaned , if you're up to it , I completely took mine apart when I covered it in Carbon Fibre vinyl !

On a whole , I don't think the problem with the stock stereos is one of quality , but more , one of lack of options , gps , ipod , usb etc ...

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,024 Posts
The stock stereo isn't bad really - IIRC I read somewhere that they are made by Alpine, but could be wrong...

The basic ones are just that - basic, but for it's day, the Comand stuff wasn't bad - easily bettered now if you're up to swap the headunit out, but you'd expect something that's 9 or so years newer to be better spec'd..

The stock speakers suprised me - better than expected, but then again, these ain't cheap cars...

Cheers
Sean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.