Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I've spent most of driving years in BMWs. I'm just about to sell my E46 M3 to fund buying a house. With this in mind, I needed a cheap ride for when it's sold. I wasn't looking for an SLK particularly, but one caught my eye locally and I got it for an absolute steal with a couple of very minor faults which will be fixed this week.
I've always enjoyed modifying my cars and am very practical and capable person when it comes to DIY and my father is an MOT inspector so I have access to a garage occasionally for bigger jobs!

I've been scouring this forum for knowledge since buying the SLK as I am only familiar with BMW so Mercedes is all new to me.
One thing I really want to know (and I have been digging around the internet to no avail) is the difference between the interior panels on a pretty and post facelift. I wish to have red interior instead of the usual black and I have found a guy breaking a complete red interior, but it is from aa 2001 facelift whereas mine is an early pre-facelift.
Does anyone know or can they point me in the direction of whether this interior is a straight swap? From bits I've stumbled on, it would suggest they are.

Also, is there a site where I can see Mercedes exploded parts diagrams with part numbers for reference? There is BMW parts site called realoem.com which is an invaluable tool and I'd like something similar for Mercs if available.

Thanks for your time and look forward to being a part of the community

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,235 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
97,235 Posts

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,745 Posts
Welcome from Madrid...

Hopefully the r170 experts will be along soon , unless Jeff beats them to it !

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
348 Posts
Welcome to the forum, try this linkhttp://www.slkworld.com/attachments/slk-r170-general-discussion/120305d1399066325-mb-parts-lists-vin-links-1998-2004_mb_slk_parts_catalog.pdf
Might work. Nope, if you go to the r170 forum , general discussions the info is in there.

Regards Stuart.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all.

That link is a great start but it's a shame there isn't more exploded diagrams in it. Sometimes it's easier to ID parts that way to find a part number than trying to describe to someone!

Hopefully someone can answer my Q about the interior too ?

·
97,235 Posts
don't forget to update your location in your profile please :D

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,984 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,405 Posts
Hi and welcome from the UK Midlands! :)

I can't help with your R170 question, but I'm sure there will be someone along soon to offer you some useful advice (in addition to the info & links that Jeff has already shared)...

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Hi and welcome to SLK World from Southern UK.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320
1,032 Posts
Welcome from Australia!
Regarding the swap , the facelift did not change these coloured dash parts, mainly the insert pieces like the carbon-fibre look pieces became revised. However, the facelift had many useful improvements all around the car so there maybe some non-visual design fixes.
Basically, the door trims , centre console front & rear, glovebox, instrument cluster surround were carried over. Adjustable steering column was an option in various markets, so you want to check that matches. If your car has it but the red one doesn't, that will be annoying. There seems to be at least two shades of red interior. Beware. Other experts may be able to list all the reds. Touch up of interior paint is not hard, plenty of threads on that topic.
Post facelift seats probably electric. Pre-facelift will be only manual seats. So wiring issue there.
Good luck with it!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the welcome guys. Looking forward to picking your collective brains further!

Pictor, that was just the reply I was hoping to hear and what I expected! Many thanks ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts