Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Vario Roof on your SLK stuck or malfunctioning? In this video we'll show you the procedure for manually closing the retractable hard top on your 1996-2004 SLK, so that you can get your car weatherproofed and buy yourself some time before diagnosing and fixing it.

jb edit...edited to say 1996-2004

·
Registered
16 Posts
Simple possible sluggish or stuck roof fix

My wife purchased her 2001 SLK320 new and I've done the majority of repairs and maintenance on it. One nasty problem that happened nearly 10 years ago was the top getting stuck part way up while on a trip. I manually got it closed using the wrench in the tool kit, then sought a fix when we got back home.

The solution was incredibly simple! Using the wrench, I opened the roof a small amount. The grease in the mechanism had dried. I injected silicon spray (Solder Seal GUNK heavy duty Silicone Spray Lubricant was the brand I used) through the slots where the latches emerge from the bow, being careful not to over do it and have it get into the headliner.

At that point, I hit the button to close the roof and it worked! I then fully operated the top up and down electrically and it was fine. All these years later and the roof still operates correctly, and I've never had to lubricate it again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
JBanks15,

Is there anything special that needs to be done to use the roof after manually locking it into place once problem resolved? I had to put top up manually (2003 SLK329) due to a micro switch issue that was reset and wondering if anything needs to be done to reset the system to use? Thanks, Maestro-82.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not to my knowledge

does the roof work normally now or not?

@efair
@stu32
@Turdo2
@VII7
@M4rCu5
@Dave2302
@Australian
@performanceisland

The procedure is mentioned in the R170 SLK manual, from what I remember you have to complete a full cycle, start up again in the same position you left it, so if you manually closed it, you may need to manually open it, before using it regularly under power again. Or you may need to press the button for the computer to close the current cycle, so if the top is currently up and was put up manually, I would press the TOP button as if you were closing it, until you hear the usual beeps, and the system will pressurize again and computer will sync back up to where the top actually is. If you get blinking light it means you have to complete the cycle manually, or your cargo tray is not where it should be. Same applies if you manually put the top down, just don't forget to close the allen key bolt on the pump after you are done manually working with the top if you loosened it.

However after replacing a simple switch there should be nothing to do as Jbanks said, which would be confirmed by the top operating properly afterwards, unless you had to operate the top manually to install, and now the top wont work.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,136 Posts
Nothing special required - but if you have a failing/sticky switch it still might not work right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts