Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

i need some help and info about a slight fume smell coming through the heater matrix in my slk (maybe a perished hose ) has anyone else experienced it ? initially i thought it was exhaust gasses from other cars when the top was down but it is actually the same when the top is up just need to know if 1.any one else has reported this 2. if it is indeed a perished if its one common hose i understand that my car has only 41k on the clock and that it probably was a seasonal car so this is likely to happen

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Check the seal around the top of the battery box. Cant think how else fumes would get into the heater fan. You might also want to check the battery as the air flows over top of it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks :burnout:I had a chat with the mb dealer to which he informed me that the slk due a service needed a new aircon recirculating filter as a part of the service and that would be the smell as when you open the bonnet there is know smell so its coming through the air con hopefully that is the problem

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,965 Posts
The cabin air filter doesn't smell like fuel though.

If you think you smell fuel, inspect your fuel system thoroughly -- especially including cold starting since the leak may stop as the material expands due to heat.

Not to sound alarmist but, in general, raw gasoline fumes are the most deadly warning sign your car can give you. If you're not sure how to inspect it, have it done professionally. It could be something as simple as a broken gas cap, or a loose connection.

ed

·
Registered
17 Posts
The cabin air filter doesn't smell like fuel though.

If you think you smell fuel, inspect your fuel system thoroughly -- especially including cold starting since the leak may stop as the material expands due to heat.

Not to sound alarmist but, in general, raw gasoline fumes are the most deadly warning sign your car can give you. If you're not sure how to inspect it, have it done professionally. It could be something as simple as a broken gas cap, or a loose connection.

ed
"Fume smell" not fuel :biglaugh: aircon filters breed bacteria and can end up smelling horrible :(

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes i thought that would make more sense its not punjunt is just a slight smell every now and again thanks for all your advice though guys :rb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.