Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back when I was a kid you always knew the engine displacement on a Merc by the three numeric digits. Add a zero and you had the ccs. If it has a "D" it was a diesel (and a 190D could not reach the speed limit on the Turnpike).

Now I am thoroughly confused: a 250 is 1800cc unless it is a diesel in which case I have not a clue. A 280 is 3000cc. Thought an SLK230 with a compressor was a SLK230k but apparently not in the US. OTOH a SLK320 is N/A while an SLK32 is blown. Help.

Is there a complete list somewhere ?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,301 Posts
are you talking slks or mercedes in general?

cause if it is mercedes in general, i have to move this thread to off topic
as the general discussion section is for just slk discussion :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thoroughly gets my goat as well!

Even when you try to apply some logic to it there's an exception to that logic somewhere just to throw you a curve ball.

Take the 280 for example. Normally it's safe to assume that a bigger number means a higher state of tune so by that logic the SLK280 would be a detuned 300 but of course it's not. The two are the same and just happened to be called one or the other depending on which territory they were sold in. But even that logic gets thrown out as well as after a number of years MB in their wisdom decided that the SLK280 in the UK should now wear the SLK300 badge after all :tazz:

We can't even work on the basis that they were running out of the correct numbers in the parts bin as they are still sticking 2's, 8's and 0's on models to this day.

Obviously the reason it really gets me though is because the uninitiated think I'm driving a 2.8 :crying:

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,378 Posts
MB has changed their numbers and they not long match to engine cc. The GLA comes as a GLA250 and GLA45. They both have a 2 liter engine turbo.
The GLA250 has 2.0 208 hp
The GLA45 is AMG 2.0 375 hp

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.