Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As worn by showroom staff, liberally adorned with the AMG logo & claimed to be unavailable to mere customers.
Should one acquire such a garment & wear it especially behind the wheel of any Mercedes does that make you a poseur?

ps
Note my correct spelling of 'POSEUR'.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well I hide a Harley too and many of these guys (including myself) wear Harley gear, some (a lot) ride wearing it too.
So I think it does not make you a poseur.
I think that really applies when you wear the gear and don't have the ride - then maybe at least you are a wanna be.....
Maybe it comes down to the person?

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Psychologists would have a field day establishing why grown men have a need to be seen in public wearing a garment that advertises the car they own.
Would a woman wear a dress adorned with the AGA logo I wonder?
What is the message they are trying to convey, because a message it sure is?
Is admiration being sought? A need for people to notice them, an abject fear they might be ignored because there are no other aspects to their personality that appeals?
Insecure so a social crutch is required?
Pride is the excuse but few buy that because the pride should relate to the object. Being proud & just showing off are near neighbours.
Most men secure in their skin & secure that their family & friends judge them not by what they own but who they are would feel a total prat walking down the street wearing such garments.
Perhaps if at a car show such a jacket with a small discreet logo would be acceptable, just a subtle hint as to ones motoring allegiance, nothing more. Those of you who have been invites to Aston Martin factories & offices would have been presented with not with a big vulgar anorak but a small very high quality enamel pin badge. Such badges are worn in the lapel of a sports jacket, now that's taste.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,077 Posts
I've been fortunate enough to benefit from doing work for some Italian race folk.
Also managed to blag a signed Ducati cap of Casey Stoner a few days before he won the British MotoGP.
Massa was entertaining when he visited, as was Barrichelo.

I wear them all.

Now, it is possible I could own a Ducati, but I'm happy with my Honda.

No way will I own a Ferrari, even if I had the money for one I like.

Doesn't mean I don't like them though and wear the Ferrari gear with pride on the rare occasion it comes out.

I'm not in Star Wars, The Prisoner, or any band. Still wear some of their gear though.
My Steelers shirt comes out every superbowl, whether they play, or not.

We wear what we want to, when we want to, because we can.

What's the difference between wearing a Star Wars Tee and wearing a shirt with the makers name on it?
The maker gets free advertising, that's all.

·
26,077 Posts
It's simple really... I liked it and wanted one, so I bought it (the car, and the jacket). :D
And then got quizzed by a bunch of us on where you got it.
Good price and look.

A lot of women buy an item exclusively due to the logo on it, and pay 10x its value because of it.
Men too, these days.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,425 Posts
Got the notice the other day from AMG lounge that the HugoBoss jackets are in. At ~$300, I think I'll pass. So I got this instead

·
26,077 Posts
It's simple really... I liked it and wanted one, so I bought it (the car, and the jacket). :D
And thus, in a wet North Wales, a new chant was born by the Massive on tour.

'Mind the logo'

And we didn't, mind that there was any logos.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
370 Posts
Psychologists would have a field day establishing why grown men have a need to be seen in public wearing a garment that advertises the car they own.
Many of those same psychologists are likely to have lists of reasons middle-aged men like us feel the need to drive sports cars. I don't mind having a screw loose..... as long as it's not on the SLK! :grin:

·
Registered 2009 SLK55 AMG,
212 Posts
Got the notice the other day from AMG lounge that the HugoBoss jackets are in. At ~$300, I think I'll pass. So I got this instead (pic to follow).
Yes, but they are giving away AMG PL hats! I requested one, need to replace the Cadillac Catera hat I keep in the car :smile:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.