Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wow, what a great write-up! I certain do not hope that I will need to do this job anytime soon, but if I do, there will be a print out of this diy right next to me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Head gasket replacement

Thanks Ben for a great work guide and thanks admin for including it on this site. Just a couple of things that I think might be helpful to others.
Firstly = Putting back together the intake camshaft gear proved to be difficult because it just would not line up correctly. The front part of the gear would line up but the notch on the back plate would not line up with where it needed to be. Then I realised that the internal, centre section of the gear twists and can be pushed back into the gear housing itself and then line up is easy. I know that sounds complicated but anyone putting this gear back together would understand what I mean.
Secondly = Ken did a great job with the chain tensioner explanation however it still proved very difficult to get into place. On another site I found a tip to mount the outer section of the chain tensioner first and then fit the inner section later. This proved to be much easier, still awkward, but easier. Thanks again Ken, it was like having a big brother beside me telling me what to do. Martin

·
Registered
18 Posts
Blown Head Gasket

Thanks Ben for a great DIY with great photos.
I have rebuilt a 57 Stude Hawk, 73 F250, 65 Buick, 04 Escape but am just too old now to tackle the hotrod 03 SLK 230.
Enjoyed the heck out of reading your DIY and will now have enough knowledge to not get BS'd by Mercedes who is doing the work this time. They estimate $2800 which is high as hell :surprise:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I too must say thanks as I used his procedure to change the head gasket on my car. Something else to note is that you need to shine a light into the head bolts to make sure they are not full of gunk. If you do not, the 12star bit will not sit completely inside and strip the bolt. Then you'll have to drill them out. Luckily they are not too hard to drill out lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great read ! There is just one problem hopefully someone can help me out as I'm going to take her apart today, what are the special tools we need to do this job and what are the specs for torque on bolts and do we need to use some sort of silicon on the head gasket? Basically just the specs and special instructions or a link to a shop manual would be great, thanks guys!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,576 Posts
Great read ! There is just one problem hopefully someone can help me out as I'm going to take her apart today, what are the special tools we need to do this job and what are the specs for torque on bolts and do we need to use some sort of silicon on the head gasket? Basically just the specs and special instructions or a link to a shop manual would be great, thanks guys!
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

First please update your location and vehicle (Put Looking!)(year?: 1996-2017, model?: 32, 43, 200, 230, 250, 280, 300,320,350,55) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t. This takes about 30 seconds to do.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.

Join the gang! Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

On a smartphone: http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/330737-how-update-your-profile-post-intro-smartphone.html

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM/edit. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
96,576 Posts

·
96,576 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts