Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercedes-Benz Recommended Services A & B and other letters

60K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Avel Du 
#1 · (Edited)
I might have posted this before but when you reach my age, who remembers anymore:

Mercedes-Benz Recommended Service

You've made a great investment in a great automobile, and when it comes to keeping that investment in a like-new condition, it's important to follow the recommended service levels of Mercedes-Benz.

Mercedes-Benz uses a Flex Schedule for maintenance, prompted by indicators on the control panel of your vehicle. Your first service should occur between 5,000 and 6,000 miles. This is when we perform an Inspection and Tire Rotation Service.

Following that interval, your next service will occur when a single wrench icon illuminates on your control panel. The single wrench indicates it is time for an A-Service.

At about 5,000 to 6,000 miles after an A-Service, we recommend another Inspection and Tire Rotation. To learn more about the importance of your tires to your Mercedes-Benz automobile, please see our Tire Information Page.

When two wrenches appear on your Mercedes-Benz control panel, it is time for a B-Service. After you've provided a B-Service for your Mercedes-Benz automobile, it is time to repeat the cycle. That is, come in for an Inspection and Tire Rotation about 5,000 to 6,000 miles after the B-Service; we'll then see you when it's time for the A-Service; followed by another Inspection and Tire Rotation; then another B-service, and so on.

Following the Mercedes-Benz recommended service schedule for your automobile is the best method for keeping your Mercedes-Benz in top running condition and preventing unexpected repairs. All three services are detailed below:

Inspection and Tire Rotation Service
Inspect battery and check electrolyte level
Inspect windshield wiper inserts and service windshield washer system (replacement of wiper inserts additional)
Inspect belts, hoses and undercarriage
Inspect lights
Inspect brakes
Inspect and top off fluid levels
Rotate tires and adjust tire pressure (excludes AMG, Sports Models, SLK and vehicles with staggered wheels)

A-Service
Here is what we do:
Inspect and record tread depth, and correct tire pressure
Rotate tires Excludes AMG, Sports Models, SLK and vehicles with staggered wheels
Engine oil change and oil filter replacement Includes Mobile 1 synthetic oil
Lubrication service Includes hood hinges, lock cylinders, striker plates, sun roof tracks and a top-off of all fluids
Cooling system inspection Includes antifreeze protection level, hoses and clamps
Brake inspection Includes checking pad thickness and condition of discs, fluids and lines
Inspect heating and ventilation dust filter, replace if needed (replacement additional. Dust filter prices vary by model, check with your Team Service Manager)
Function check Includes warning lamps, headlights, exterior lights, seat belts, windshield wiper and washer
Inspect and lubricate throttle linkage
Check and clean air filter
Reset flexible service system counter
Here is why we do it:

Keeping your Mercedes-Benz automobile in top condition and maintained according to factory requirements involves more than a quick lube and an oil change. At this service, we inspect and clean the air filter, which protects your engine from harmful foreign particles. As gasoline and air is used in your engine, it passes through a filter and a series of injectors. If these components became dirty and clogged, this would lead to poor performance and decreased fuel economy.

We also recommend replacing the dust filter, which prevents harmful contaminants from entering the interior of your vehicle when functioning properly. Next, we inspect your fuel lines and connectors for any damage or wear, and we check your fuel tank vapor vent system, hoses and fuel tank supports. It's important that you trust only a Mercedes-Benz Factory Trained and Certified Technician to perform these functions.

Exhaust pipes, mufflers and hangers are inspected for cracks, deterioration or damage. Additionally, your brake lines and hoses need to be checked for cracks or damage, and your tires checked for uneven wear. These are all preventative checks designed to keep your Mercedes-Benz on the road and trouble-free.

B-Service
Here is what we do:
Replace windshield wiper inserts and service windshield washer system
Inspect and rotate tires, record tread depth, and correct tire pressure (wheel balance additional) Excludes AMG, Sports Models, SLK and vehicles with staggered wheels
Engine oil change and oil filter replacement Includes Mobile 1 synthetic oil
Lubrication service Includes hood hinges, lock cylinders, striker plates, sun roof tracks and a top-off of all fluids
Cooling system inspection Includes antifreeze protection level, hoses and clamps
Brake inspection Includes checking pad thickness and condition of discs, fluids and lines
Replace heating and ventilation dust filter ? Dust filter prices vary by model, please check with your Team Service Manager
Function check Includes warning lamps, headlights, exterior lights, seat belts, windshield wiper and washer
Inspect and lubricate throttle linkage
Replace air filter
Reset flexible service system counter
Inspect front axle ball joints; check steering play and power steering clutch; and rear differential levels
Inspect Poly V-Belt for condition
Inspect starting and charging system, and service battery
Inspect climate control refrigerant

Here is why we do it:

During the B-Service, Certified Mercedes-Benz Technicians closely examine your automobile's engine components, using specialized equipment to be sure that all the mechanical, electronic, and computerized devices are functioning properly.

At this time, we also need to address your automobile's heating and cooling system. Over time, your engine coolant becomes contaminated, losing its ability to protect your engine from freezing in cold weather conditions and overheating in hot conditions. Very expensive repairs could result from avoiding this required maintenance.

Next, we inspect your fuel lines and connectors for any damage or wear, and we check your fuel tank vapor vent system, hoses and fuel tank supports. As we said above on the A-Service, it's important that you trust only a Mercedes-Benz Factory Trained and Certified Technician to perform these functions.

From Gordon, gdb069:

I searched a bit more and it looks like ASSYST was rebranded as FSS in the US and Canada. There is some confusion because ASSYST/FSS changed how it worked during certain model years. I found this:

"Service ASSYST 1997-2003
Many Mercedes-Benz Passenger cars are equipped with Service ASSYST. This is a variable service schedule alternating from A to B service - A being a small, routine service and B being a larger routine service. A service indicator will appear on your display approximately one month or 600 miles before a service is due. Services are normally due between 9,000 and 18,500 miles or between 12 to 24 months, depending on driving style.

Service ASSYST PLUS, 2003-2007
The majority of models produced between 2003 and 2007 were equipped with Service ASSYST PLUS. This is also a variable service schedule alternating from A to H service, with the letters indicating how much time and work will be expected to be conducted. A indicates a routine service and H would indicate a more in-depth service. Mileage was at every 13000 miles for service

Service ASSYST Fixed Intervals, 2007-Onwards
Many models produced from 2007 have fixed service intervals. Services alternate from A to B and occur every 10,000 miles or after one year, whichever comes sooner. These fixed service intervals make it easier for you to plan your servicing around your schedule, making it less likely for you to miss a service. "

So my 2005 has FSS (ASSYST) Plus and therefore the ABCDEFGH

Gordon

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
From Gordon gdb069:

The service letter system changed at different model years in different regions but basically from 1997 to 2003 was an "A/B" system. Between 2003 and 2007 was an A/B/C/D/E/F system. The A/B/C system was confusing so MB went back to an A/B system. The A/B letters meant A- Minor B- Major. "A" was typically a yearly event and included oil change/filter and inspections.

The A/B/C letters system was more specific as the system identified each Service Item and estimated the amount of labour/time required to perform the Service. A=1 hour B=2 hours C=3 hours etc. The intent was to inform the owner of the estimated time for the included Services Items.

So "A" at 1 hour is usually just the oil/filter change and inspection and has been similar throughout all the systems versions. "B" now indicates Major but in the A/B/C system indicated approximately 2 hours of labour required. As mentioned in the A/B system the "B" simply means Major so could include anything and does not switch letters until the service has been completed.

The confusing part about the A/B/C system was that the letters will change based on time or mileage so owners would see a "B" change to "C" or a "C" change to "D" etc Here's why:

Most Service Items such as oil/filter change are based on mileage OR time interval ie 10k miles or 1 year whichever comes first. However Brake Flush is date specific at 2 years even if your car has not been driven. So it is very possible that the system indicated a "B" based on items ie oil/filter/air cleaners based on mileage and requiring 2 hours labour. Then as a particular date approached also required one more hour for a brake flush changing "B" to "C".

Other than simply confusing, the A/B/C supposedly "flexible" system was not very flexible ie as improved service products became available, replacement intervals changed, however, the system did not reflect the change. For instance the fuel filter (Service Item 11) went from a 5 year change interval to a 15 year interval but the A/B/C system does not recognize that change.

Of course in all the systems there are sub-menus that indicate the actual Service Items so we can DIY as Brian noted.

Gordon

PS Champagne is reserved for Service Letters F/G/H and you don't want that to happen as by the time you leave you will not be able to drive.
PPS With an oil extractor and some basic knowledge, tools, I can do simple service and be able to afford my own champagne (based on mileage and vintage). So now A=Tattinger, B=Moet, C= Veuve Cliquot etc

also:

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-general-discussion/128474-r171-service-schedule.html

#3 ·
Jeff - do we have the actual service sheets from Mercedes in a pdf format somewhere? I couldn't find it. I don't need it, because I have it for my SLK. I thought others might find it useful if they they do their own service. It comes in very handy for me as I check off each item as I do it to make sure I do a thorough A/B service. I'd be happy to post mine for my 2003 if it's not already out there somewhere.

#4 ·
No Len, but post yours if you can.

#5 ·
A/B Service check sheet for the 2003 SLK - USA/Canada

I'm a little disappointed that it isn't as clear as I'd like. Zooming in helps a bit.

Attachments

Reactions: Pictor and jbanks15
#6 ·
#8 ·
I must have gotten short changed. I don't get any wrenches! Also my computer counts down by mileage and switched to days as the service date draws near.

I went over to my dealer and asked him what was the difference between the A & B services and he replied, "About a hundred bucks!"

Anyway, I just service it myself, since besides R&R of the oil and filter, it is mostly inspections. I do have one issue coming up which I have to discuss with Mercedes. In the maintenance manual, it says service the transmission and replace brake fluid every four years or 40K miles. I have only 10K miles on it, and I'm wondering if the service is really necessary?

Anyway, when I visit the dealer, I get some free donuts and coffee. Sometimes even sandwiches!

#9 ·
Brake fluid on your car is every four years or every 40,000 miles? That must be something new. For the past twenty years or so, it has been an every two year requirement. Prior to that it was an annual service recommendation. In any case I would service the brake fluid as required by time or distance whichever comes first. It absorbs moisture no matter how much it is used and you can't tell if your brake fluid is good just by looking at it. It is a relatively easy DIY job.

As for the transmission fluid, I think you can extend the time limit a bit on a low mileage car. That's my opinion anyway.

#11 ·
Based on Gordon said, mine should just have A/B...? I have 2008 SLK280. Now the message says I need Service E... I go in for service once a year since I drive less than 10k miles.
In other thread, somebody said A, C, E are basically the same, but my garage said E is a big one. Now I am not sure what to expect. My car has about 57k miles

#12 ·
just go to your maintenace manual and based on time and or mileage that is what is due. the letter just represents the amount of time in hours needed

#13 · (Edited)
OK I found what the services numbers mean:

Service 1 means the minor service
Service 2 means the major service
Service 3 means the oil and filter change
Service 4 means the body and paint repare and brake fluid change
Service 5 means the combination filter change
Service 6 and 7 are not applicable
Service 8 means air filter change
Service 9 and 10 are not applicable
Service 11 means the fuel filter change
Service 12 means the spark plugs change
Service 13 means the coolant change
Service 14 to 19 are not applicable
Service 20 means the auto transmission oil and filter change.

Does this mean that if one does not do a full service but for instance only changers the spark plugs then they must only confirm the service number 12 and if one does a full service, say the D service, which includes the spark plugs then one must only confirm the full service?
Does the "Items" on the services menu only show the services for that particular full service, for example a B service will show in the Item menu service number 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 assuming service A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H means A,C,E,G are minor services and B,D,F,H are major services every second year. Every second year includes service 4 and 5 to service 1, 2, 3 and every fourth year includes service 4, 5, 8 and 12 to service 1, 2, 3. Every fifteenth year includes service 11 and 13, which will be minor service (odd years are minor services and even years are major services beginning with year 1). Service 20 not included as I have a manual car.

Also found this which substitutes the A to H services for A and B service.
Thought I'd have a go at reducing some of the confusion regarding the ASSYST PLUS service schedule for the R171 SLK.

If you haven't heard already, the 'A' to 'H' service indication system in the MFD has been replaced by alternating services 'A' (minor basic) and 'B' (major basic). These letters have nothing to do with the old 'A' to 'H' system, the primary purpose of which was to provide an indication of the amount of time the service would take, with 'A' being the shortest and 'H' the longest. In practical terms, any service from 'C' onwards in the old system would most likely represent a 'B' service in the new system along with various extra items.

In the new system, a service 'A' includes an oil and filter change as well as various instrument and fluid checks and is supposed to take around an hour. Service 'B' includes all items from service 'A' plus various other inspections including brakes, wheels/tyres, headlights, body and steering components and should take roughly two hours.

Now the disclaimer: the information provided is based on my Australian issue ASSYST PLUS service booklet dated 2004 as it applies to my pre-facelift SLK350, so your mileage may vary depending on country, model year and engine type.

The most sensible way (at least to me) to present the information is on a service year by year basis. I chose this as MB typically specify a minimum of annual servicing for the SLK in most markets. Some services/items are distance as well as time based - I have not noted the distinctions here in an attempt to keep things simple, but a rough rule of thumb for time/distance interchange is:

1 year = 12,500-13,000 miles = 20,000-25,000 kilometres

So here we go:

Year 1: Minor Basic service ('A')

Year 2: Major Basic service ('B')
+ brake fluid flush
+ combination filter

Year 3: Minor Basic service ('A')

Year 4: Major Basic service ('B')
+ brake fluid flush
+ combination filter
+ engine air filter
+ spark plugs

Year 5: Minor Basic service ('A')

Year 6: Major Basic service ('B')
+ brake fluid flush
+ combination filter

Year 7: Minor Basic service ('A')

Year 8: Major Basic service ('B')
+ brake fluid flush
+ combination filter
+ engine air filter
+ spark plugs

Year 9: Minor Basic service ('A')

Year 10: Major Basic service ('B')
+ brake fluid flush
+ combination filter

Year 11: Minor Basic service ('A')

Year 12: Major Basic service ('B')
+ brake fluid flush
+ combination filter
+ engine air filter
+ spark plugs

Year 13: Minor Basic service ('A')

Year 14: Major Basic service ('B')
+ brake fluid flush
+ combination filter

Year 15: Minor Basic service ('A')
+ Engine coolant flush
+ Fuel filter

Year 16: Major Basic service ('B')
+ brake fluid flush
+ combination filter
+ engine air filter
+ spark plugs

For those of us with the automatic transmission, there is also the requirement of a transmission fluid flush at 40,000 miles or 60,000 kilometres. The interesting thing is this is a once only service according to my booklet.

So there you have it. In summary, I think the key things to take away are services alternate between minor and major every year, with a bigger service every fourth year.

Gurus, please feel free to correct any misinformation in the above and hopefully after a bit of tidying up it might be 'sticky worthy'

Edit: The question was asked whether the R171 has a dust filter as a separate item to the combination filter. Although my service booklet does list them as two separate things, all the Googling I've done suggests there is no dust filter. As a result, I have removed the dust filter from the list of service items above. Happy to be corrected on this if someone has information to the contrary.

Cheers,
Brian

Here is what has to be done on Minor and Major services.
SLK 200 alternate between Minor service and major service every year/ 15,000 kilometre.
Oil and filter change every year/ 15,000 kilometre.
Minor service year 1/ 15,000 kilometre.
Function check
1) Horn, warning/indicator lamps, illumination and interior lighting
2) Windshield wipers, windshield washer system, headlamp cleaning system
Check the following fluid levels, correct if necessary.
If there is a loss of fluid, determine cause and perform repair
3) Windshield washer system
6) Brake system
Interior
4) Reset maintenance service indicator in instrument cluster
Engine compartment
10) Check catch, safety catch and hinges on engine hood for proper operation
Wheels, brakes
5) Correct tire inflation pressure
6) Check front brake pads for lining thickness
Trunk
9) Check trunk lighting
Vehicle front/rear
8) Check wiper blade condition

Major service year 2 / 30,000 kilometre
Do everything in minor service from (1) to (10) plus.
6+) Check front and rear brake pads for lining thickness. Check condition/thickness of front/rear brake discs.
11) Brake test on dynamometer or test drive performed. Parking brakes checked and bedded in accordance to specification. (ASR, ETS, ESP)
12) Check seat belts and buckles for signs of external damage and proper function
13) Check battery condition using “Midtronics MCR 717” tester
14) Inspect tires for damage and splits, measure tread depth and record in mm
15) Underside of vehicle Leakage - Major components
Check for chafe marks, line routing, damaged components
In the event of leakage, determine cause and perform repair
16) Check front axle ball joints for play, check rubber boots
17) Check rear axle ball joints for play, check rubber boots
18) Inspect play of tie rod and drag link joints, inspect rubber boots
19) Inspect condition of flexible disks
20) Check and correct headlamp setting
21) Tirefit tyre sealant date check
22) Engine compartment Leakage - Major components
Check for chafe marks, line routing, damaged components
In the event of leakage, determine cause and perform repair
23) Check condition of poly-V-belt
24) Power steering fluid level check
Every 2 years
Replace brake fluid
Check bodywork for paint work damage
Every 2 years/ 60,000 kilometre
Replace combination filter
Every 4 years/ 100,000 kilometre
Replace air-cleaner insert
Replace spark plugs
Every 15 years/ 250,000 kilometre
Replace coolant
Replace fuel filter

Therefore the A to H service comprise the following Services.

A, C, E, G are all minor services that comprises of the following services 1 and 3.

B, and F are both major services that comprise of the following services 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

D, and H are both major services that comprise of the following services 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 12.

The fifteenth year service is a minor service G that comprises service 1 and 2 but must include service 11 and 13.

#14 ·
Tampa FL Service A and B prices and what is done

Attachments

#15 ·
Just did my 11th year 100,000 Kilo service. Oil and oil filter change with vacuum pump. Clean engine air filter (still good). Changed brake fluid. All the checks. Took me 2 days at a comfortable pace but it is getting hard to remove the wheels at my age 60, my muscles are painful now and I need rest to recover.

#16 ·
Re slk service

Thank you for the info, can I ask a ? , is a spark plug gap of .80 thousand correct, I have slk 200k, 171, 2010, 184 Bhp.
Done 35k, changed the spark plugs ( old ones looked ok though) and have noticed mpg has dropped by 20%, or is this
Just colder weather, I live in UK, thank you

#17 ·
at last a clear answer :wink: i have asked it several times at the store and no one knew the wright answer
:D

which answer was it? there are a lot of answers in the thread :D

#18 ·
Gordon's of course

PS Champagne is reserved for Service Letters F/G/H and you don't want that to happen as by the time you leave you will not be able to drive.
PPS With an oil extractor and some basic knowledge, tools, I can do simple service and be able to afford my own champagne (based on mileage and vintage). So now A=Tattinger, B=Moet, C= Veuve Cliquot etc

#19 ·
Service ASSYST PLUS, 2003-2007
The majority of models produced between 2003 and 2007 were equipped with Service ASSYST PLUS. This is also a variable service schedule alternating from A to H service, with the letters indicating how much time and work will be expected to be conducted. A indicates a routine service and H would indicate a more in-depth service. Mileage was at every 13000 miles for service

Attachments

#20 ·
Is tire rotation something You still should do?
My tires differ front/rear and therefore should not be changed between axels.
Also tires should not be changed from side to side because they wear according to the rotation direction and that should not be interrupted due to the tire performance.

Am I missing something?

Jörgen

#21 ·
staggered wheels/tires on sports cars are not rotated
if winter wheels with same size rims/tires, then yes ok to rotate

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.