Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lucky me! Through 'AMG Private Lounge', I've won a place on the F1 factory tour and lunch at Mercedes-AMG PETRONAS on Monday 13th July!

Any other SLK World members going?

Only about 30 min from home - and of course I'll be driving to the venue in my SLK!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I am in England then at our place near you in Shipton under Wychwood, but will not be at the factory - these things are strictly by invitation.

Your tour will be very selective, but even the parts they allow you to see will blow your mind! It is not a car factory, more of a giant operating theatre.

A friend of mine is in charge of IT at what is now Lotus at Enstone, so I was lucky enough to get to a lot of the places but still not all!

I hope you can get into the wind tunnel and see them at work. They are the most amazing places - the control area is surrounded with 3D printers that will make a body section that is quickly installed on the model and re-tested and then done all over again! I hope you are not an eco-warrior, because the sheer opulence and expenditure is something to behold.

Enjoy it!

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Nice one :tu:, thought I did well getting a calendar:smile:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm - it's July, it's England, so the forecast for tomorrow is rain in the morning, cloudy in the late morning / afternoon, then more rain in the late afternoon.....

Perhaps I won't bother with giving my little car a wash - and somehow I doubt whether I'll be driving to Brackley and back with the roof down, unfortunately....

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Superb visit!

Despite the miserable UK weather, 15 of us gathered at Mercedes-AMG PETRONAS for the F1 factory visit. Most had driven their AMGs to the venue, but 4 had flown from the US and another from Germany.

After a welcoming coffee and chat, we split into 2 groups and had a complete guided tour of the engineering department, including being permitted to look at Nico and Lewis's actual cars disassembled for post-Silverstone inspection. And yes, we were allowed to touch them. We also saw the impressive milling machines, carbon fibre fabrication area and were allowed to look through the windows of the Research and Development area - probably the most secret part of the complex. Then a view of the operations centre which was more impressive than Mission Control at Houston.

No-one apart from employees and the occasional VIP had ever been allowed to look around the buildings before, so this was an incredible opportunity. All the people we met were friendly and enthusiastic, with obvious pride in their work - which is no doubt what makes them such a successful team.

Then a light lunch and a chance to talk AMGs with others in the group, before we went our separate ways clutching our goody bags!

On the way home I stopped to do a TBA reset, then enjoyed a back roads blast - despite the rain!

Truly an epic day!

·
Premium Member
11,227 Posts
I'm very envious... sounds like a fantastic opportunity, and something you'll probably cherish for many years to come!! :tu:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts