Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While installing the smartTop module on my 2012 SLK 350 I broke a rear speaker wiring connector when it would not release from the speaker's socket.
As I found the Mercedes crimp connectors that attach wires to connector plugs are very small and fragile and easily broken.
Back then I could not find a reasonably priced tool that would crimp the connectors properly.
I ended up using needle-nosed pliers to crimp the connectors to repair the broken speaker wiring plug.
This worked but it was a hack that looked sloppy.

Four years later while looking on Amazon for something else, I stumbled upon the IWISS SN-28B DuPont Terminal Ratchet Crimper, http://www.amazon.com/IWISS-Terminal-Ratchet-AWG28-18-0-1-1-0MM²/dp/B017JU20Z6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00.
Even though the crimper was designed for DuPont connectors, it looked like it might work with Mercedes crimp connectors and only cost $23.00 so I bought one.
It turned out to be the perfect crimping tool for Mercedes crimp connectors!

Since directions on how to use the crimping tool and how to use it with Mercedes crimp connectors are almost non-existent I put together a document to help other folks who might find it useful.

Attached are detailed directions on using the IWISS SN-28B crimping tool to crimp the Mercedes female #0085455526 or male #0325453928 crimp connectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
866 Posts
While installing the smartTop module on my 2012 SLK 350 I broke a rear speaker wiring connector when it would not release from the speaker's socket.
As I found the Mercedes crimp connectors that attach wires to connector plugs are very small and fragile and easily broken.
Back then I could not find a reasonably priced tool that would crimp the connectors properly.
I ended up using needle-nosed pliers to crimp the connectors to repair the broken speaker wiring plug.
This worked but it was a hack that looked sloppy.

Four years later while looking on Amazon for something else, I stumbled upon the IWISS SN-28B DuPont Terminal Ratchet Crimper, Robot Check.
Even though the crimper was designed for DuPont connectors, it looked like it might work with Mercedes crimp connectors and only cost $23.00 so I bought one.
It turned out to be the perfect crimping tool for Mercedes crimp connectors!

Since directions on how to use the crimping tool and how to use it with Mercedes crimp connectors are almost non-existent I put together a document to help other folks who might find it useful.

Attached are detailed directions on using the IWISS SN-28B crimping tool to crimp the Mercedes female #0085455526 or male #0325453928 crimp connectors.
Standard crimp tool is used in near about all electrical or electronic connections , there is no special crimp tool for Mercedes electrical connections although I'm sure they would like you to think so.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Standard crimp tool is used in near about all electrical or electronic connections , there is no special crimp tool for Mercedes electrical connections although I'm sure they would like you to think so.
I didn't mean to imply that the crimper was a special tool only for crimping mercedes crimps.
Since I had a difficult time finding the tool when I needed it I figured other folks would also. That is also why I included the Mercedes part numbers in the thread title for them to show up in search results.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.