Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't Ford do the exact opposite thing a while back?
Two years ago, Ford added a Good Neighbor Mode on the Mustang you could start its mighty V8 without having to worry about your neighbors reporting you to the authorities. It's a great move for Ford, especially that the 'Stang's active valve performance exhaust has an enormous sound that could echo in a neighborhood.
Mercedes-Benz, however, has done quite the opposite in its AMG models. Called the Emotion Start, all-new Mercedes-AMG models have the option to make its exhaust sound louder upon pushing the ignition button.

·
Super Moderator
11,060 Posts
I may be in error but I think he is referring to

·
Registered
648 Posts
I may be in error but I think he is referring to
Probably is but I am only interested in his Loudner solution as the car is already a V8 :)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I am only interested in his Loudner solution as the car is already a V8
Use a Butterfly Valve similar to this, you need one that is open at atmospheric pressure ...................

Installed in my 3" X pipe by the Transmission and so "pre" Silencers .................

Plumb the Vacuum Tube into a small Vac Reservoir plumbed direct into Intake Manifold Vac, tweak the adjuster so that it will open only at mashed WOT (low Vacuum), and of course when you switch the Engine off you have zero Vac so as you start up it whilst Engine Vacuum evacuates the little Vac Res it gives a huge "ROOOOAR" 🦁 🦁 🦁 and then quietens after 3 - 4 seconds as the Vac builds and the Valve closes .....................

Delightfully Simples ;)

There are several ways to do this, depending exactly what you require, I want mine to go loud on start up for a few seconds, like the C63 AMG, amd also to go loud only at WOT.

There are Electric versions as well as Vacuum, I like the Vacuum idea because it is so easy and simple, the trick will be getting it set up, so will need a Vac Gauge first to measure Vac as throttle mashed, maybe need a small restrictor in the pipe ................. R&D Project once Engine is in ;)

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Hi,

/\ /\ /\ ........... Yes indeed they do, as does a few other High Performance models.

The R170 didn't have it nor a V8, and neither does the R171 although that does have V8

I actually Bought the Valve and a 90 degree 3" Mandrel Bent Stainless Elbow yesterday, just so it's here in the box waiting for Exhaust Fabrication time once the V8 is in ;)

Further research yesterday showed me that there are 2 types of Pneumatic ones, plus an Electric Motor actuated version.............
Pneumatic ones come as Normally Open (N/O) and Normally Closed (N/C) which is really only used on Turbo Motors to reduce Back Pressure and thus allow the Turbo to Spool Up quicker ..........

V12 TT anyone :devilish:

Use an N/O if you want it to work like mine, which is a normally aspirated M113 V8, and I want a 2 - 4 second Roar 🦁 upon start, plus Roar 🦁 upon 3/4 up to WOT hard pulls, then go quiet as the Vac Rises and Car is cruising at speed 👿
Note that the Vac Actuators are adjustable so it's opening time can be "tuned" to suit 😁

Use a N/C or Electric Motor activated type if you have a boosted Engine and then it will bark upon boost, would probably suggest a Motorised version though if you want it to bark upon start up as well :D

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
👿 Oh ............. And btw don't let any youngsters in your family fit one on their Corsa / Fiesta / Golf / Saxo / 207 etc etc they just sound pathetic on a 4 cylinder 1.2 litre [email protected] box 🤣

pop phut pop pop pop pop phut pop pop pop pop pop pop pop phut pop pop pop phut ;)

Now this is how an Engine should sound on song ................

Mind it would get on my nerves all the time ;)

BTW that S Class is a 5 speed (722.6) Auto on paddle shifts with Shift Kit and Custom TCU programming ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts